Memory full, gallery?

triscuit22

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 16g S4 on att and a 32g SD card. I only have 1.2g of free space left on my internal storage.

I set my phone to store pictures on Mt SD card. And when I am in gallery, it shows the memory card icon on the camera folder. But when I look at my.memory useage, it shows that gallery is taking up over 8gs. When I look at my devise through USB I don't see ant pictures actually saved on it.

Anyone know why this is happening and how I free this up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 16g S4 on att and a 32g SD card. I only have 1.2g of free space left on my internal storage.

I set my phone to store pictures on Mt SD card. And when I am in gallery, it shows the memory card icon on the camera folder. But when I look at my.memory useage, it shows that gallery is taking up over 8gs. When I look at my devise through USB I don't see ant pictures actually saved on it.

Anyone know why this is happening and how I free this up?

Is the location you're sending image files to specifically identified as "extSDCard"? If not, it's probably internal device storage, not the physical SD card.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The location is storage\extSDcard\dcim\camera

That's where they should be. Take a look at Settings - More - Storage - Device memory and tell us or post a screenshot of what's listed there and how much space each item is taking.

triscuit22

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's where they should be. Take a look at Settings - More - Storage - Device memory and tell us or post a screenshot of what's listed there and how much space each item is taking.

Total Space: 16.00 Gb

Applications 16.9 GB
Pictures: 484 MB
Audio: 336mb
Doanloads: 17.26MB
Misc Files: 6.83gb
Available Space: 1.40GB

then in i click on application it shows Gallery as 10.74GB

if i click on gallery it shows total storage as 10.75 gm
Application 4.00 kb
sd card app 0.00b
Data: 10.74 gb
SD card data: 12.00kb

cache 236mb

why is it not showing that the pictures are on the sd card?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Total Space: 16.00 Gb

Applications 16.9 GB
Pictures: 484 MB
Audio: 336mb
Doanloads: 17.26MB
Misc Files: 6.83gb
Available Space: 1.40GB

then in i click on application it shows Gallery as 10.74GB

if i click on gallery it shows total storage as 10.75 gm
Application 4.00 kb
sd card app 0.00b
Data: 10.74 gb
SD card data: 12.00kb

cache 236mb

why is it not showing that the pictures are on the sd card?

Use the My Files app and see what you find under /storage/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera and /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera.

robert.wason

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I just double checked my situation and the Gallery App no longer shows the whole amount that I have stored on my external card in there. Now it shows 617Mb under Data when I click to get App Info. What version of Android are you running?

I have a screenshot or two on saved on my device, but not 600Mb worth. If I select delete Data does that delete the contents of the DCIM folder? Other folders too? Or just things like thumbnails and face recognition meta data?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
not a type, here are two screenshots

View attachment 84115

View attachment 84117

also i am running android 4.2.2 on AT&T
That certainly looks weird; the applications line on mine says1.14GB; I guess on your phone it could be bigger than the internal phone storage if it includes application size on the internal storage plus any data that app keeps on the external SD, although I don't think mine does that. I think it's also a little weird that the free device memory is quite a bit different in the two screens - 1.4GB in one and 3GB in the other; on mine they're almost (not quite) the same. It's three times weird because the Gallery app data is not, as far as I can tell, the same thing as your image files. For example, on mine the Gallery app is showing as using 4.78MB of internal storage, while I have maybe 20MB or so of pictures on my SD card. In any event, it would take a huge number of pictures to add up to 10GB of data storage; how many pictures do you have on there?

I'm also wondering if maybe you have a sync for images that's pulling in images from things like facebook, Google cloud storage, Picasa, or somewhere else and that's what's pushing your image storage size so large. I've found that if I don't strictly control that all sorts of Web images pop up in my Gallery.

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I just double checked my situation and the Gallery App no longer shows the whole amount that I have stored on my external card in there. Now it shows 617Mb under Data when I click to get App Info. What version of Android are you running?

I have a screenshot or two on saved on my device, but not 600Mb worth. If I select delete Data does that delete the contents of the DCIM folder? Other folders too? Or just things like thumbnails and face recognition meta data?
I don't think the app data is necessarily the same thing as the actual image files. Deleting data from the Gallery app should not affect the image files, but if you want to be really safe back up the image files first.

robert.wason

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I deleted the Data from the Gallery App and it didn't change the free space on device storage (though it removed it from the Data section). Decided to restart and now the Gallery App shows 860Mb of Data. My head hurts..

Edit: Gallery App went all the way to 2.55Gb, looks to be constant now - No change in free space.

Last edited:

triscuit22

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I deleted the Data from the Gallery App and it didn't change the free space on device storage (though it removed it from the Data section). Decided to restart and now the Gallery App shows 860Mb of Data. My head hurts..

Edit: Gallery App went all the way to 2.55Gb, looks to be constant now - No change in free space.

I did the same. It didn't delete ant pictures. It now shows up as the proper size in both my storage list and application manager.

Thanks everyone!

Jdca3333

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
For those of ypu using androids face detection to unlock your phone, I just found almost 4GB of nonsense videos in a folder called Trackview. It appears the face detection uses Trackview and saves a small video (2-4 MB) a lot of times a day. I did not install trackview nor is a program listed in my apps so it has to be the facial recognition program. .

Uses a ton of space. Delete those videos and turn of face detection and you should stop running out of space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae