Strange Battery Drain Problem with Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9500)

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(:'(

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, it's good to have you here!

There could be several causes for such behavior. You could have a bad battery. Something could be running up your CPU and causing the battery to drain quickly, but your phone would probably be getting hot too. If you're phone is not getting good signal it could be spending some power trying to 'phone home'. Are you able to post a screen shot of your battery life (power+home)?

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, it's good to have you here!

There could be several causes for such behavior. You could have a bad battery. Something could be running up your CPU and causing the battery to drain quickly, but your phone would probably be getting hot too. If you're phone is not getting good signal it could be spending some power trying to 'phone home'. Are you able to post a screen shot of your battery life (power+home)?

But my phone battery does not actually drains to 0%, even though it shows 0% with battery critically low notification. If I leave my phone switched off for a while and then switch it back on, battery comes back to normal state showing the actual remaining battery charge and everything works just fine. its jus that randomly out of nowhere the phone reboots automatically and shows 0% battery after the boot. As I mentioned earlier I even did factory reset and didn't install any other app and same problem happens again. Default apps under factory reset condition should not drain battery (in fact battery is not draining at all)

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
But my phone battery does not actually drains to 0%, even though it shows 0% with battery critically low notification. If I leave my phone switched off for a while and then switch it back on, battery comes back to normal state showing the actual remaining battery charge and everything works just fine. its jus that randomly out of nowhere the phone reboots automatically and shows 0% battery after the boot. As I mentioned earlier I even did factory reset and didn't install any other app and same problem happens again. Default apps under factory reset condition should not drain battery (in fact battery is not draining at all)

I think I'd try a new battery; they're generally not too expensive, but that might vary depending on where you are in the world and the available sources.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You're correct, this shouldn't drain the battery. However, the battery (or the phone) could be misreporting. I would still consider trying another battery, especially since they're relatively inexpensive and it can't hurt to have a spare. You could try re-flashing the factory ROM just in case some issue in your existing ROM is the culprit. Your could also contact Samsung directly for warranty assistance.

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Go to your phone dialer and input *#0228#. It should launch this:

ve8eveqe.jpg

Hit Quick Start. It should recalibrate your battery and show you your real battery level. If it shows a value you don't expect, that is the real charge on the battery and not what you thought it had. Charge your battery to 100% again.

If this doesn't work, you have a bad battery. Claim your warranty from Samsung. Not the store... Samsung Service Center should do it as long as you have proof of purchase and warranty statement.

If not, buy a new Samsung original battery. Don't skimp out and buy one of those cheap knock offs as there have been reports of phones all across brands exploding or causing other injuries because they used non-official third party batteries.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

debsawyer

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
You are not alone. I have 2 extra batteries. I use Google Music for 3 hours everyday during my workout and my battery is dead by the time I get home. So I switch battery at least once a day. I purchase two extra batteries from Samsung, the ones with the charger case.

MASHRAFLK

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I
really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(:'(

Hello shoib bhai..I am facing the exact problem since yesterday. Could you please help me out if you had the solution for your problem

- - - Updated - - -

I
really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(:'(

Hello shoib bhai..I am facing the exact problem since yesterday. Could you please help me out if you had the solution for your problem

MASHRAFLK

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

PROBLEM SOLVED ! CASE OF BATTERY SWELL.. REPLACED WITH A NEW BATTERY AND PHONE WORKING FINE..

Posted via Android Central App

TaMaTeM

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED ! CASE OF BATTERY SWELL.. REPLACED WITH A NEW BATTERY AND PHONE WORKING FINE..

Posted via Android Central App

So, replacing the battery will solve that problem? It's that simple?

I bought my phone on October 25 and it gone crazy that way 3 days ago, and I'm losing my mind because of it. My warranty works only in KSA and now I'm in Egypt!

rafis

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Similar issue, but in my case battery drains even when the phone is turned off. I don't thing thats normal and thats why I haven't replace my battery for a new one, I'm affraid it might be some issue with my s4 mini. Battery drains out cold... I've had my s4 mini for 3 weeks. It started with the symptoms a week ago. I have tried almost everything.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Similar issue, but in my case battery drains even when the phone is turned off. I don't thing thats normal and thats why I haven't replace my battery for a new one, I'm affraid it might be some issue with my s4 mini. Battery drains out cold... I've had my s4 mini for 3 weeks. It started with the symptoms a week ago. I have tried almost everything.

That sounds like a battery problem - I'd replace the battery if I were you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

rafis

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I already did. The new one drained the 54% it came with in less than 2.5 hrs... thats not right also. Don't know what else to do

rafis

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
OS and basic apps from android. The real problem is that drians out cold when the phone is even off... I have to " literally" jump start the battery with an outside batt charger... so it can use the regular Samsung charger

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
OS and basic apps from android. The real problem is that drians out cold when the phone is even off... I have to " literally" jump start the battery with an outside batt charger... so it can use the regular Samsung charger

If the phone is really turned off, then I think you have a second bad battery. You might try charging the battery, then remove it from the phone. Put it back in after a day or so, and see if it drains when not in the phone. If it does, that's a bad battery for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Vix8380

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have the solution guys!!!! No ody BUY anymore batteries or change any settings its a common fault with the S4 I had the same fault it woukd have say 70% battery switch itself off come bk on with 2% battery and sometimes it would just go bat crazy on me a d switch itself off and on constantly like it was persessed.
Anyway after many many google searches I took it to my nearest samsung warranty repair store (they are nationwide and as they get 2 yesrs warranty all free my local store was manchester arndale) as soon as I sat down in store and said I had an S4 she knew straightaway what my issue was she asked me is it switching itsekf off and on etc she then proceeded to tell me its a common fault with the s4's and Samsung have admitted the flaw but 2 many sold to do a recall so ry on ppl turning up at the samsung repair shops to get it fixed she said its a battery fault took my battery out and it was all swelled up she said it needs new battery and charger unit inside phone has to be replaced I waited while they did it no exaggeration it took no more than 5 mins and has been working fine since.
She did say they are getting 100's of people turning up with s4's all same issue.
I bought my phone in mid june issue arose end Oct had it repaired end of October and so far so good she did say once charger unit and battery replaced thats it issue sorted it shouldn't happen again.
Google your nearest samsung repair shop and just take it in even if it turns out to be something else (which is highly unlikely) your sr is under warranty so they will fix it for free either there and then no sending it off and waiting for weeks or if they busy might tell you to come back in an hour.

Good luck Vicki :)