10-09-2013 03:53 PM
41 12
tools
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to "move" a TWRP backup once it's been done anyway...too high a risk for corruption. Just know that it is taking up space, and be sure to delete it once you sure your device is good to go and you don't need it anymore.

You don't need to wipe first before restoring the backup...but it won't matter if you do anyway. I saw your other thread, and actually thought that response was misleading. If it were me, I'd just restore the backup and go from there...you'll simply be right back to where you were before CM was installed. *IF* something goes wrong with the restore, THEN it would be a good idea to flash stock firmware, but otherwise I don't see any reason to do that unless you really wanted to go ALL the way back.
    Yeah, I'm trying to go back to the way it was when I got it. I didn't like CyanogenMod and I want to be able to do the 4.3 update OTA once it's released.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-09-2013 10:38 AM
    How to root on a mac?

10-09-2013 11:30 AM
    Yeah, I'm trying to go back to the way it was when I got it. I didn't like CyanogenMod and I want to be able to do the 4.3 update OTA once it's released.

OK, that's up to you...personally, even when running stock firmware, I prefer to stay rooted, and then simply flash my own updates (I've never installed an OTA in all the years I've owned Android phones). There's almost always a rooted version of the stock OS available as a ROM on XDA within a day or two of updates being available. That's just me though...

If you really want to back all way out to a fully stock device, here's how I approach it...

1. Go to XDA, check forums for my device, look for rooting and unrooting guides. The T-Mobile S4 has a page dedicated to those, which makes it easy:
    [How To Guides] Root,Unroot,CWM,Stock,Hotspot, + Tips! - xda-developers

2. From there, I'd go to the unroot guide:
    How to Unroot / Unbrick Galaxy S4! - Complete Stock ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

Now, obviously I don't own a T-Mo S4, so I can't comment on the actual process, but that's where I'd start.

*Doing this will probably wipe your entire device, including internal storage...be sure to backup everything you need ahead of time!
    10-09-2013 12:55 PM
    OK, that's up to you...personally, even when running stock firmware, I prefer to stay rooted, and then simply flash my own updates (I've never installed an OTA in all the years I've owned Android phones). There's almost always a rooted version of the stock OS available as a ROM on XDA within a day or two of updates being available. That's just me though...

If you really want to back all way out to a fully stock device, here's how I approach it...

1. Go to XDA, check forums for my device, look for rooting and unrooting guides. The T-Mobile S4 has a page dedicated to those, which makes it easy:
    [How To Guides] Root,Unroot,CWM,Stock,Hotspot, + Tips! - xda-developers

2. From there, I'd go to the unroot guide:
    How to Unroot / Unbrick Galaxy S4! - Complete Stock ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

Now, obviously I don't own a T-Mo S4, so I can't comment on the actual process, but that's where I'd start.

*Doing this will probably wipe your entire device, including internal storage...be sure to backup everything you need ahead of time!
    I have no need for root only apps so I don't see the need of having it rooted unless I was going to flash more custom ROMs but I probably won't be doing it for a while now. The first link is for CWM? I'm on TWRP. Couldn't I just boot into TWRP and restore the backup I made before I flashed CM. And then do the unroot?

10-09-2013 01:10 PM
    Sorry if I'm making it more difficult than it should be, just confusing and since I'm not the one who bought the phone it would probably make for unhappy parents :P

10-09-2013 01:11 PM
    saw your other thread, and actually thought that response was misleading. .
    Didn't mean for it to be, my apologies. My experience has been it's better to fully wipe when switching from AOSP to TW, less chance of leftovers/errors. That's what I've found anyway.
    Don't wipe and go through it, maybe you'll be fine, just trying to help you minimize the errors that are possible.
    That about wraps it up for me on this one.
    Good luck. Peace.

UJ95x likes this.
    10-09-2013 01:34 PM
    I have no need for root only apps so I don't see the need of having it rooted unless I was going to flash more custom ROMs but I probably won't be doing it for a while now. The first link is for CWM? I'm on TWRP. Couldn't I just boot into TWRP and restore the backup I made before I flashed CM. And then do the unroot?

Sorry if I'm making it more difficult than it should be, just confusing and since I'm not the one who bought the phone it would probably make for unhappy parents :P

No problem.

The first link is just a collection of how-to guides for reference -- I just put it there because that's how I found the 2nd link. Doesn't matter if you have CWM or TWRP installed, either will work for what you want to do.

You could restore your backup, but you really don't need to because part of unrooting involves having to do a full wipe and flashing the stock image. In other words, no matter if you do the unroot starting from CM or your previous backup, you'll end up at the same place once finished...which is basically the same state the phone would be in out-of-box.
    10-09-2013 01:37 PM
    Didn't mean for it to be, my apologies. My experience has been it's better to fully wipe when switching from AOSP to TW, less chance of leftovers/errors. That's what I've found anyway.
    Don't wipe and go through it, maybe you'll be fine, just trying to help you minimize the errors that are possible.
    Good luck. Peace.

That makes sense. Restoring from a nandroid *should* handle all those wipes for you...but I get what you're saying. Kind of a moot point given that the OP wants to unroot and go all the way back to stock anyway.
    10-09-2013 01:41 PM
    No problem.

The first link is just a collection of how-to guides for reference -- I just put it there because that's how I found the 2nd link. Doesn't matter if you have CWM or TWRP installed, either will work for what you want to do.

You could restore your backup, but you really don't need to because part of unrooting involves having to do a full wipe and flashing the stock image. In other words, no matter if you do the unroot starting from CM or your previous backup, you'll end up at the same place once finished...which is basically the same state the phone would be in out-of-box.
    Yes but I thought that you had to be on stock rooted firmware to run triangle away. In other words, I would have to restore my backup, reset the flash counter, and then unroot. Is this true?

10-09-2013 01:41 PM
    you'll end up at the same place once finished...
    One last thing.... Same place except for the flash counter. I still recommend reseting that if uprooting, that way if you need to send it back you don't need to try to root again and do it, if you can even root after the updates.
    Just watch the videos, it's all right there. You're lucky it's easy to do with your phone.

10-09-2013 01:45 PM
    Yes but I thought that you had to be on stock rooted firmware to run triangle away. In other words, I would have to restore my backup, reset the flash counter, and then unroot. Is this true?

Ah...OK, then perhaps you would want to do that. Sorry, as I mentioned, I'm not completely familiar with the T-Mo version of this phone, and they're all a bit different. By all means then, yes, do the restore first so you can do that.
    10-09-2013 01:51 PM
    Ah...OK, then perhaps you would want to do that. Sorry, as I mentioned, I'm not completely familiar with the T-Mo version of this phone, and they're all a bit different. By all means then, yes, do the restore first so you can do that.
    It's alright, seems like few people have the T-Mobile variant. Wanted to try the hyperdrive ROM but the thread I read on it at XDA wasn't very clear to my noob self. Thanks for the help, I don't think I'll have any other noob questions any time soon

10-09-2013 02:01 PM
    Good luck. Peace.

Thanks for the help

10-09-2013 02:07 PM
    ONE more question lol sorry. I restored the stock firmware but I am still rooted. The screen has been on for 10+ minutes with auto-brightness on but the battery has not gone down even 1 percent. Why would that be? It's not hot/overheated.
    Edit: Nevermind, it went down to 53%. It's still strange though, it stayed like that for a while and didn't go down until the screen blacked out and I woke the phone again
    10-09-2013 03:34 PM
    ONE more question lol sorry. I restored the stock firmware but I am still rooted. The screen has been on for 10+ minutes with auto-brightness on but the battery has not gone down even 1 percent. Why would that be? It's not hot/overheated.
    Edit: Nevermind, it went down to 53%. It's still strange though, it stayed like that for a while and didn't go down until the screen blacked out and I woke the phone again
    Probably had just not had a chance to refresh...
    10-09-2013 03:42 PM
    Probably had just not had a chance to refresh...
    Ok, I restored nandroid backup and it worked. Ran triangle away and it worked, booted into download mode and it said Binary: Samsung Official Status: Official
    Ran triangle away again to check if it was 0 but it said it was still 1 and Binary now showed custom. Is it because the recovery is still installed?
    10-09-2013 03:53 PM
41 12