Gmail not syncing automatically.... anyone else?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, yesterday after noon my gmail stopped automatically syncing. There were no changes to my settings and didn't download any apps. Was working fine up until yesterday. Is anyone else experiencing any issues? I hate having to manually refresh my mail. Of course I did the usual by checking my settings, rebooting the phone and removing then adding the account. Still same issue. All my other notifications are coming in fine.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, yesterday after noon my gmail stopped automatically syncing. There were no changes to my settings and didn't download any apps. Was working fine up until yesterday. Is anyone else experiencing any issues? I hate having to manually refresh my mail. Of course I did the usual by checking my settings, rebooting the phone and removing then adding the account. Still same issue. All my other notifications are coming in fine.
Double check that your Google Account is sync'd.

Menu > system settings > accounts > Google

Also, check the Gmail App settings and make sure the "days of mail sync" is set to a desired number of days.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Double check that your Google Account is sync'd.

Menu > system settings > accounts > Google

Also, check the Gmail App settings and make sure the "days of mail sync" is set to a desired number of days.

Yeah those things are good as well. So I guess it's just my phone. Just started (or I guess I should say stopped) on it's own with no changes. Very weird. I was trying to avoid factory reset but I may have to later on. Thanks though.

EDIT: Cleared device caches in recovery and rebooted and all appears good now.

Last edited:

FernleyE

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those things are good as well. So I guess it's just my phone. Just started (or I guess I should say stopped) on it's own with no changes. Very weird. I was trying to avoid factory reset but I may have to later on. Thanks though.

EDIT: Cleared device caches in recovery and rebooted and all appears good now.

I have the same issue and from what I just read above I am concerned that clearing the cache is something I have to do manually to make what I think is a basic service work.

I'm new to this platform/ device and Android so If I am missing something please advise. s there and automatic cache dump setting?

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
This also started happening to me about 2 weeks ago. Now, Every morning I have to re-enable the Sync on my Gmail account.
I upped my email count to 200...maybe that will help.

Posted via Android Central App

FernleyE

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Settings-data usage-menu button-check auto sync data ��

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

Mine is selected. Email arrival is NEVER timely. Sometimes messages arrive within minutes (still to slow in my opinion) and other times not for hours after it was sent to me. Which is completely Un acceptable.

Is there an alternative mail app that is easy to use? K9 mail is complex in my opinion and does not allow me to mark mail as spam.

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Remove the Google account and then add it back. Settings, Accounts, Google, Long press on your google email address, Remove Account.

izanaki

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I too am having the same issue. Was working great when I got the phone. Other things seem to be syncing with Google like contacts and etc. Gmail last sync'd my HTC One's email at 10:57am today and its 3:28pm now. That's terrible. Must of been update to the Gmail . Been going on like this for a few weeks now.

Tomh1124

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm having the same problem...did not make any changes and all was working well until late yesterday morning. even manually refreshing does not always work.

Tomer Gi

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me as well on Nexus 5. Solution: Settings > Data Usage > View App Settings > enter the settings of your email address (click on your email address, below General Settings) > Under Data Usage, tick the Sync Gmail box.

Elena G

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Tried all suggested above tricks, nothing works. How can i make a factory reset?
Tried hod sound, power and home buttons - nothing happens. thanks.

wbirvine

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Other emails will not auto sync unless Gmail is set to auto sync. Open your gmail account and set it to auto sync. then other email accounts will also auto sync.

jawjabrewdawg

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
As a previous poster said, your Gmail auto sync setting also controls the auto syncing of any other email accounts you have created in your general email app. If turning on your Gmail auto sync is still not working for gmail or your other email accounts, it is another app's settings you need to check and change. This was the problem I had. I had downloaded and set up my Battery Doctor app two months ago and it's an excellent little app. Normally I could go to the power management app that came with my phone (a Huawei Ascend Mate 2) to switch on auto sync, but all of a sudden the option to turn on or off the settings for sync, vibrate and other power options weren't there. Battery Doctor was overriding it. If you have installed Battery Doctor or a similar battery power management app (or maybe even the app that came with your phone), you must go into its settings and look for its ignore list. It might say something like "add or remove apps". The settings for apps you add will not be changed or turned off when you optimize your battery. Add gmail and any other email apps to the ignored list. It worked for me. If you happen to have Battery Doctor, when you tap the optimize icon it will show you all apps it is about to optimize. Just press and hold the app icons you want it to exempt from optimizing. A pop up will ask if you want to add it to the ignore list...or you can go into Battery Doctor settings to do it as well. Afterwards, double check that your Gmail auto sync is still switched to 'on' and you should be good to go. After that don't ever accidentally or purposely reset your Battery Doctor app to its default settings or the problem will reoccur. That's what I did and it's why my syncing stopped so suddenly.

sabkt

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear ,

I had same problem after Update and noticed it that i was not getting messages unless i open app ..didnt find any solution and then tried uninstalling updates ! and then restart my phone it went on updating again but its working fine now..try it !! i am using HTC desire 816

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol