Hi everyone,

I seem to be having a problem when trying to create albums using the stock gallery app on my ATT Samsung Gallery S4 (non-rooted)

So at the moment, I have my device set up to store any picture I take on my External SD Card - typically, after I take a bunch of pictures at either a wedding, party, event, etc. I create an album so I don't have to scroll through the 1,000s of pictures in the "Camera" album

I have been doing this for a bit now until the other day when I went to create a new album it said that there wasn't enough room, at which point I realized the device was taking the album/pictures I was creating and moving them off of the memory card and onto the devices internal storage.

After realizing this, I thought I could figure it out using either ES File Explorer or Astro File Manager - however, when I try to move the album over to the external SD card, it says either "transfer failed" or "move failed" and the albums remain on the devices storage.

Also, I want to note that when I try to even view the "Pictures" file on the External SD card it says "Empty" but I can view the albums I have created which are on the device. (Using both ES File Explorer and Astro File Manager)

So, ultimately my questions are:

-Can you create albums and store them on the External SD Card?
    -Is there another way to move the albums which have already been created back over to the SD card?

Thank you for anyone's help in advance here!

-Ryan
    10-14-2013 10:29 AM
    Hi everyone,

I seem to be having a problem when trying to create albums using the stock gallery app on my ATT Samsung Gallery S4 (non-rooted)

So at the moment, I have my device set up to store any picture I take on my External SD Card - typically, after I take a bunch of pictures at either a wedding, party, event, etc. I create an album so I don't have to scroll through the 1,000s of pictures in the "Camera" album

I have been doing this for a bit now until the other day when I went to create a new album it said that there wasn't enough room, at which point I realized the device was taking the album/pictures I was creating and moving them off of the memory card and onto the devices internal storage.

After realizing this, I thought I could figure it out using either ES File Explorer or Astro File Manager - however, when I try to move the album over to the external SD card, it says either "transfer failed" or "move failed" and the albums remain on the devices storage.

Also, I want to note that when I try to even view the "Pictures" file on the External SD card it says "Empty" but I can view the albums I have created which are on the device. (Using both ES File Explorer and Astro File Manager)

-Is there another way to move the albums which have already been created back over to the SD card?

-Ryan
    Just to make sure where the pictures really are, can you give us the complete folder path of the storage location? Internal storage should have something like "sdcard/DCIM/Camera" for camera image storage, while the external SD card should show up as something like "extSDCard/DCIM/Camera". I have no idea why Android calls part of internal storage "sdcard," but nevertheless it does.
    10-14-2013 03:47 PM
    Just to make sure where the pictures really are, can you give us the complete folder path of the storage location? Internal storage should have something like "sdcard/DCIM/Camera" for camera image storage, while the external SD card should show up as something like "extSDCard/DCIM/Camera". I have no idea why Android calls part of internal storage "sdcard," but nevertheless it does.
    Sure thing!
    Empty folder where pictures should be: /storage/extSdCard/Pictures/
    Folder where the albums I created are located: /sdcard/Pictures

Hope that helps!
    10-15-2013 10:57 AM
    Sure thing!
    Empty folder where pictures should be: /storage/extSdCard/Pictures/
    Folder where the albums I created are located: /sdcard/Pictures

Hope that helps!
    Is it possible for you to connect your phone to a computer using the USB cable, and attempt to create folders and move the image files using the computer?
    10-16-2013 02:43 PM
    I figured it out!

For some reason using the "Gallery" App you are not able to move files to folders on the SD Card - I had to go to the "My Files" folder - then go to "All Files" - select the photos which were on the device, then select "Move" - "Ext. Sd Card" - Add Folder - Name Folder - Move to newly created folder.
    10-21-2013 11:01 AM
    Hi everyone,

-Ryan
    03-23-2014 08:46 PM
    Thanks for your question and detailed answer. I was having the same issue and your steps helped me resolve it!
    05-05-2015 09:58 AM