Difference between iOS & Android

priyanthn

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So when both the platforms first came out, the differences between both (in features) were miles. Now both Operating system share many features. Interestingly, after introducing the retina display in iPhone 4, apple really hasn't bumped up the resolution compared to its competitors. Airdrop (unfair for many apple users) sort of compensates to NFC. Most apps support both platforms but iOS is still missing on the widgets scene. Even though iOS supports 64 bit, android (since its from Linux) should support 64bit without a hassle if those changes were made but it will take another year or two for 64bit applications to flood both platforms. Now, really what sort of killer feature separates both platforms for someone to choose one over the other?

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the feature gap is being closed. I think the big difference now is which platform and hardware do consumers prefer. Do you want variety in how your device looks, feels and interacts? That's were Android steps in with the various design choices.

Still, Apple has a solid device/OS and there's nothing to downplay about it. It's a good time for mobile tech, as things can only get better from here on out.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the feature gap is being closed. I think the big difference now is which platform and hardware do consumers prefer. Do you want variety in how your device looks, feels and interacts? That's were Android steps in with the various design choices.

Still, Apple has a solid device/OS and there's nothing to downplay about it. It's a good time for mobile tech, as things can only get better from here on out.

I was thinking the same as you concerning personal preference. It's pretty much down to that. There are a few specific features that each platform has over the other, but not too much. I use a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5, and I wouldn't turn my hand for the difference in stability or speed. FWIW, just today i checked the Up time on my Nexus 4 and it's 542 hours (22+ days). Since the new animations in iOS 7 the Nexus 4 is much faster than the iPhone 5. But they both work solidly, quickly, and dependably.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Top 5 reasons why I like Android
1. The ability to customize my phone...frequently. I thoroughly enjoy widgets...can't imagine a 'smart' phone without it.
2. S4 = removable battery and SD card. A no-brainer for a heavy user! Otherwise I would have gottent the HTC One.
3. I don't like a 4.3" screen. A 5" screen on the S4...fits well.
4. So, the gimmicky features may seem a bit overwhelming initially but I try to learn so new tip every week. It makes the phone exciting and vibrant. Most of the 'gimmicks' become useful tools.
5. Multi window. I don't use it often but when I'm driving - its great to have Messages and Touchdown email on the same screen! (I wish Waze was compatible). Please don't text and drive.

However, if I were already heavily vested in the Apple ecosystem then I would have gone with the iPhone 5. They are both great.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
if when Apple adds the following three things, I will truly have to make a decision which device to choose:

1) bigger screen with higher resolution
2) widgets and the ability to "hide" apps you dont want out (ie: app drawer vs home screens)
3) ability to customize the look more than just your wallpaper (doesnt have to be as much ability to customize as android, but it needs to be a LOT more than what they offer now)

To me, those are truly the only things that are really holding iOS back ...

Now, item 4) would be the expandable memory and removable battery. However, I feel like in the near future, all of our mobile devices are going to get much better with battery life, and have a lot more on-board memory ... which will render this item moot. Hopefully, I'm not thinking too much pie in the sky there ... because as much as we rely on our mobile devices these days, telling someone they are too hard-core a user and that's why they are running out of battery and memory too fast is just BS ... I dont mind charging my phone all night when i go to sleep, but i VERY much look forward to when I can leave the house in the morning and not even think about plugging it in to charge all day long no matter how much I am using my phone...

and having recently converted from iOS to Android, the one thing I actually miss overall from Apple is the "ease of use" of the iPhones ... what I mean is ... they basically have one set of hardware, and one version of the OS at a time ... you dont have to develop iphone apps for multiple sets of hardware and OS versions, etc... so the apps just seem (or tend) to work better ...

All that said, i dont expect any device or OS to be perfect ... and I can live with some glitches and idiosyncrasies ... but knowing that some of those glitches/idios are there because of the vast array of platforms for Android kinda bugs me in the back of my mind.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, for me the thing holding iOS back is the fact that I can't plug it in as a USB storage device on a computer. I hate having to go through iTunes or third party programs like MediaMonkey to put music on my sister's iPad. I also can't Bluetooth stuff over to friends' iPhones. Too bothersome. Size as well... I didn't like having a 3.8 inch screen back then and a 4.3 inch, thin device won't just cut it for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma