How does the memory work?

JasonKGreen

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So I have an S4 with 16GB of memory. My first question is, I have 6.70GB of miscellaneous files 1)What are they and 2)how do I get rid of them?

Next, can I use an SD card to expand my memory? I can get a 64GB for around $50 bucks. Do I just swap out memory cards to expand memory? How do I back my files up or transfer them to the new card?

Thanks for your help.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So I have an S4 with 16GB of memory. My first question is, I have 6.70GB of miscellaneous files 1)What are they and 2)how do I get rid of them?

Next, can I use an SD card to expand my memory? I can get a 64GB for around $50 bucks. Do I just swap out memory cards to expand memory? How do I back my files up or transfer them to the new card?

Thanks for your help.

Most of the miscellaneous files are system files. If you add an SD card that's separate from existing memory/storage. You can set individual apps such as the camera to save files to the card, and can move some files there, such as picture and music files. Note that you will probably see at least two SD cards as folders when you use a file management app. The actual SD card will be called extSDcard, the other one is actually part of the phone's internal memory.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The S4 is notorious for having a lot of preinstalled bloatware, such that only 8 GB of the advertised 16 GB of phone memory is actually available to the user. Unfortunately, you can't get rid of it unless you root the phone.

Adding an SD card greatly increases your ability to store various data (primarily media files like photos, music, and videos), but will not increase your ability to install apps. Refer to this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315804

Posted via Android Central App

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Note that you will probably see at least two SD cards as folders when you use a file management app. The actual SD card will be called extSDcard, the other one is actually part of the phone's internal memory.
Thank you for that, STSVA. It's helpful to me as well. I'm very comfortable using a file manager on the phone, but I've had the dickens of a time figuring out the S4 file system, and especially what was the actual SD card. Not only file managers but apps (e.g., office document apps) need to be able to locate folders and files, and this file system seems ridiculously obscure for that purpose.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've read several s4 problems (on another forum) with certain memory card brand other than samsung, you may want to check that before purchasing your mmc.

I think i've seen around 3 reports about this.

Sent via Tapatalk 2