my galaxy s4 got wet at work.

grizzly p bear

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I usually leave my phone in my back pocket, or on a shelf, as i am a dishwaser and i try to avoid it getting wet. but last night when i was taking out the trash i trhew a bag over my shoulder, not knowing that it was dripping. when i pulled out my phone dirty garbage water was inside the otter box. it still worked when i went to turn it off, but as i was turning it off the screen went black too early. i took out the battery and have the phone and battery sitting in rice. i tested it out a little bit ago and everything turns , but the screen stays black and doesnt work. the rest of the buttons work, just not the screen. please help, i am pretty sure my parents did not get the warranty

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It might be too late, but put it back in rice. Best is to leave it in a sealed container of uncooked rice for at least 24 hours before turning it back on. Even if your parents did get warranty, chances are good water damage will not be covered. Insurance (purchased separately) might, but you have to check the terms and conditions of what it does cover.

For now I would say put it back in the rice, leave it there undisturbed. The fact that the screen doesn't come on doesn't sound good... but it may come back to life. Keep in mind the fact that it has been wet means even if it does come back to life, chances are it will die out on you sooner rather than later.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope everything works out somehow!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It very well could be too late. When electronic devices get wet, the worst thing you can do is TURN IT ON while it's still wet.
So you may have lost any chance of it working again by turning it on too soon before letting it completely dry

Rebirth71

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me 2 days ago and I just wanted to give some of you hope if this happens to you (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and will try to be as detailed as possible). I dropped my phone in the toilet, classic story right, and I immediately grabbed it and turned it off. It did have a case on it, not a great one like an otter box but a decent one. It did not completely get submerged in water, it was maybe 3/4's submerged but water did splash and get all over my phone. So with the phone turned off I frantically dried it off, and while doing this I hit the power button and my phone turned back on. At this point I should have taken the battery out, but I didn't. The screen came on again like normal and I hit the power button again to shut it down. As I was doing this, the screen started glitching and went black right before I was able to get it off. I could tell my phone was still on because the home buttons were on. So after all that I took the battery out. Even with the case there was water all inside the case and also inside my phone where the battery lies and all around it. I dried everything I could and I left the back panel of my phone off with the battery out. I was at a wedding so I had no access to rice so I had to wait like 6 hours before doing the rice thing. I know the first thing one would want to do is try the phone again as soon as possible to see if it works, which is what I did as soon as I got home thinking it would dry with the back panel off. Got nothing, screen was still black. At this point I thought it was done for. I put my sim card in an older phone I had, and put the Galaxy in a bag of rice without the battery or back panel, I also took the micro sd memory card out so as much of the insides of the phone was exposed to the rice as possible. Forgot about it, left it for dead. I waited probably 18 hours before I tried it again. I was lucky and it turned on like normal and has been %100 fine since.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me 2 days ago and I just wanted to give some of you hope if this happens to you (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and will try to be as detailed as possible). I dropped my phone in the toilet, classic story right, and I immediately grabbed it and turned it off. It did have a case on it, not a great one like an otter box but a decent one. It did not completely get submerged in water, it was maybe 3/4's submerged but water did splash and get all over my phone. So with the phone turned off I frantically dried it off, and while doing this I hit the power button and my phone turned back on. At this point I should have taken the battery out, but I didn't. The screen came on again like normal and I hit the power button again to shut it down. As I was doing this, the screen started glitching and went black right before I was able to get it off. I could tell my phone was still on because the home buttons were on. So after all that I took the battery out. Even with the case there was water all inside the case and also inside my phone where the battery lies and all around it. I dried everything I could and I left the back panel of my phone off with the battery out. I was at a wedding so I had no access to rice so I had to wait like 6 hours before doing the rice thing. I know the first thing one would want to do is try the phone again as soon as possible to see if it works, which is what I did as soon as I got home thinking it would dry with the back panel off. Got nothing, screen was still black. At this point I thought it was done for. I put my sim card in an older phone I had, and put the Galaxy in a bag of rice without the battery or back panel, I also took the micro sd memory card out so as much of the insides of the phone was exposed to the rice as possible. Forgot about it, left it for dead. I waited probably 18 hours before I tried it again. I was lucky and it turned on like normal and has been %100 fine since.

Yup you got lucky and you are right normally you just need to leave it alone after it gets wet until it dries completely.
Here is a lesson in water on electronics. Most water, unless distilled or purified. Contains metal particulates such as iron, or zinc. If you get your phone wet. It just so happens that sometimes these tiny metal particulates rest on your electronic parts. Water, being an amazing conductor, plsu metal particulates plus turning the phone on equals BAD!
G;ad your phone lived Rebirth!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Yup you got lucky and you are right normally you just need to leave it alone after it gets wet until it dries completely.
Here is a lesson in water on electronics. Most water, unless distilled or purified. Contains metal particulates such as iron, or zinc. If you get your phone wet. It just so happens that sometimes these tiny metal particulates rest on your electronic parts. Water, being an amazing conductor, plsu metal particulates plus turning the phone on equals BAD!
G;ad your phone lived Rebirth!

+1 on the water impurities. I would think restaurant trash bag water would be close to a toxic dump for your phone. Likely all sorts of acidic and sugary nasty things that like to attack circuits. Good luck with that one.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
+1 on the water impurities. I would think restaurant trash bag water would be close to a toxic dump for your phone. Likely all sorts of acidic and sugary nasty things that like to attack circuits. Good luck with that one.

An odd event to note. A friend of my dropped their brand new iPhone in a sink of water. Good place for it if you ask me! BUT either way, they did the rice trick and it didn't work. So since they had a dead phone anyway, I suggested buying a gallon of distilled water. Taking out the battery and SIM and then submerging it in the distilled water, then again letting it dry in the rice. Sure enough it rinsed away the impurities on the circut board somewhere and the fricking thing worked flawless!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
An odd event to note. A friend of my dropped their brand new iPhone in a sink of water. Good place for it if you ask me! BUT either way, they did the rice trick and it didn't work. So since they had a dead phone anyway, I suggested buying a gallon of distilled water. Taking out the battery and SIM and then submerging it in the distilled water, then again letting it dry in the rice. Sure enough it rinsed away the impurities on the circut board somewhere and the fricking thing worked flawless!

That would be the first thing I'd do if someone dropped their phone in anything questionable... sugary, salty, acidic... I mean, it's already wet and anything other than pure water is going to immediately begin the corrosive process and end up destroying the innards. At least with clear water you stand a chance.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Water is a very poor conductor actually. It is only the impurities in water that you need to worry about.

Aaron is correct, pure water will not conduct an electrical current at all, but only a small amount of impurities changes that, water will dissolve impurities out of the atmosphere quickly and become conductive. Another problem is these impurities will remain after the water evaporates and can cause corrosion down the road, so even if you get it working after it is dry, there is no guarantee how long.

johnman63

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
When a Smartphone device gets wet, get the power off of it immediately and understand your impatience will end the phone's life. Too often I have read where people wait a day and try powering it up just wanting to see if it is still alive. If you have a job which requires the phone, best to go and get a GoPhone, or a cheap get by device until you can properly dry out and clean your Smartphone. It is a slow process of recovery, but the device has to dry out. Not overnight, but for at least 2 weeks, and 3 to 4 is best. Soon after the phone has become wet, get the back off and lift all the phones connectors, while the phone is in it's drying out state. Clean both sides of the connectors corrosion which has quickly accumulated on both mating sides of these connectors. I cannot stress more than ever, "BE PATIENT" and your odds of getting your phone back are by far greater, because it takes time to dry out your phone. I once walked by my MacBook Pro 15 and a Dr Pepper almost slipped out of my hand, but 3 drops hit the keys of my $2000+ computer. It started immediately acting weird and my insides of my stomach were immediately sick. It took me 4 weeks to finally get her back up, and seemingly several sick days at the 4 week timeframe to get her back around, so she is back, and the liquids are no where near my computing. :D

paulpit21

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
my samsung galaxy s4 got we. i took the battery and i just open it the next day. it's still working but other functions stop working. my device continues to be in headphone connected even if there is no headphone inserted. and airview is not functioning. and my camera is smokey. pls help

Drumafia

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you comfortable with disamssembling your device? If so i have a video that walks you throught he process. The smokeys cam you mentioned I'm sure is fogged lens which eventually will clear up. Wish I could fix it for you, hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my phone into a cup of tea last year. Fortunately I got it our immediately and turn off the phone. Blow-dried for a few minutes and the next day it came back to life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08