Contact specific text notifications

BMitch9281

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung, and to Android in general, so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm looking for a way to basically set my phone so that specific contacts don't have any sort of notification or vibration for SMS messaging. I'm subscribed to some mobile notifications for Twitter and ESPN, and I want to continue to get them, but they come in so frequently that I don't want the sound or vibration for them. On iPhone, the was an option to save the data number to my contacts, and then set it to where the phone didn't play any notification sound or vibrate when a text alert came through. S4 doesn't give this option anywhere that I can find, and I've tried several workarounds, including keeping Blocking Mode on at all times, disabling text message notifications and vibrations entirely, and a couple others. Each has its own flaws. Can anyone recommend anything else? Is this something that can only be done by rooting? Any help would be much appreciated, as this is one of the few issues I've had since making the switch that I haven't been able to figure out on my own. Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if this works, but I think it's what I did.... I disabled Sms notifications from Twitter and espn, installed the ESPN and Twitter apps and now control their notification behavior via the apps. I believe you can turn off sound and vibration in the app, but not 100%.

BMitch9281

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought about that, but I'd really like to continue to actually receive the SMS messages, as that would work better for my purposes and needs. I just don't want the alert sounds and vibrations. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have vibrations on for notifications so this may not completely help you. I simply made a blank audio file and copied it to the \Ringtones and \Notifications folders. Set them as call/alert tones for contacts I don't want to hear from, including bill collectors who always sem to call at the wrong time ;). There's an option to create vibrations, but I haven't tried it to see if I can make a blank one.

BMitch9281

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried that one too. Problem was that I kind of need vibration alerts for other texts pretty regularly, and the option to create a vibration pattern only changes the vibration pattern for calls, not texts. The black audio file thing works, but if you're listening to audio or watching a video, it still pauses when the message comes in, for the phone to play the blank audio file. Thanks for your post though. Just haven't found a workaround without a flaw yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital