Micro SD Card

jmgilliam

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting an sd card for my new S4.

Looking at Sandisk - do I need the Extreme one - 80mbs write speed or is the Ultra version at 30mbs ok??

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Ultra would be fine... it will work fast enough for the S4. You don't need to the faster speed, unless you want to spend the extra money.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As far as speed it doesn't matter. You won't get anywhere near those speeds since the US version doesn't support UHS-1. However, IME, the Extreme version is a lot more reliable than the Ultra version cards. I've had multiple Ultras fail me.

Nexus 7

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
what about some stuff i've read saying the Samsung's have had trouble with Sandisk cards ? Should I get a Samsung Micro card?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet... not everybody using Sandisk cards on Samsung or any other device have issues with them, just like using any other maker of cards.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why with the S4 or Note 3 ?

Well, I myself as well as many others (according to the threads) have had Ultras fail a lot in S4s. After that happened to me I got an Extreme and have moved it to several different devices and kind of dogged it but its kept on humm'n along without any mounting, reading, or writing anomalies. The Note 3? The best is deserving of the best, in my humble opinion.

from the legendary secondary Note II

jmgilliam

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Would there be any other brands besides Sandisk to look at?

The Extreme says write speeds of 80mbs - any other "extreme" cards from other manufacturers?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Would there be any other brands besides Sandisk to look at?

The Extreme says write speeds of 80mbs - any other "extreme" cards from other manufacturers?

You will not see the 80MB/s speeds in any phone unless it supports UHS-1 and most phones, including the Note 3, don't support UHS-1. The international version of the S4 does, as I understand it. I would also look at Samsung cards too and I'm certain there are other really good brands.

from a Note 3

jmgilliam

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Looking on Amazon and the Samsung pro card supports 70/20 and the Samsung Plus card says 48.... . So if I've read right and read some other stuff on other threads it says the phone sd slot only support class 6 and roughly 20 at the most so is the Pro overkill... Both are class 10

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, on my extreme I get 17.9MB/s writes and 25MB/s reads from my Extreme in my Note 3. Those are better than class 10 speeds.

from the legendary secondary Note II

jmgilliam

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to go Samsung, but is it worth it to get the Pro vs the Plus version. The Pro says 70/20 and the Plus says 48... On an S4 would you realize the difference in the two cards?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to go Samsung, but is it worth it to get the Pro vs the Plus version. The Pro says 70/20 and the Plus says 48... On an S4 would you realize the difference in the two cards?
Like the Extreme vs. the Ultra the difference you'll feel on your device may be minor. Where you'd really notice the difference is if you pull the card and place it into a UHS-1 compatible USB 3.0 card reader and do any file operations. If you don't think you'll ever do that the Plus version will probably be good enough and may save you some money (as long as they're more durable than the Ultras have shown to be).