I recently switched from an iphone 4s to a Galaxy S4 and love it, but I don't know how to go about video calling. In IOS, it was built in to the OS, but I don't see any option for that on android.

How do I video call other people? Do I need a 3rd party app? What if I want to video call with someone who has IOS? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-27-2013 10:59 AM
    I recently switched from an iphone 4s to a Galaxy S4 and love it, but I don't know how to go about video calling. In IOS, it was built in to the OS, but I don't see any option for that on android.

How do I video call other people? Do I need a 3rd party app? What if I want to video call with someone who has IOS? Thanks!

In case no one has said so; Welcome to the forums, and Android.
    For Android, you would have to get a third party app, like Skype or Google Hangouts. Hangouts is an Instant Messaging app that has a Video Call built in.
    10-27-2013 11:04 AM
    i just went through this royal PITA too. Hangouts works fine once you get all the kinks worked out. My wife uses Google Apps which is controlled by her business. They didn't allow the hangouts, calendar and some other stuff until we requested it all. Once that was done, I could call her via Hangout pretty easy. Don't have a clue how it would work with Apple.
    You would think video calling would be easy as pie right from the contacts. Apparently it is supposed to work that way in other countries. They have a video icon right next to the contact - brilliant! We have to jump through Hangout or Skype loops which makes no sense to me & makes it not worth my time.
    jiffy1955 likes this.
    10-27-2013 11:16 AM
    i just went through this royal PITA too. Hangouts works fine once you get all the kinks worked out. My wife uses Google Apps which is controlled by her business. They didn't allow the hangouts, calendar and some other stuff until we requested it all. Once that was done, I could call her via Hangout pretty easy. Don't have a clue how it would work with Apple.
    You would think video calling would be easy as pie right from the contacts. Apparently it is supposed to work that way in other countries. They have a video icon right next to the contact - brilliant! We have to jump through Hangout or Skype loops which makes no sense to me & makes it not worth my time.
    I am going to blame carriers for lack of video integration.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    10-27-2013 11:20 AM
    Tried hangouts with someone who has an iPhone and its very buggy. Doesn't seem to work well at all. Are there any apps that can connect to face time ?

10-27-2013 05:47 PM
    Tried hangouts with someone who has an iPhone and its very buggy. Doesn't seem to work well at all. Are there any apps that can connect to face time ?

My guess is no. Was Hangouts buggy on the android side or the iPhone side?

10-27-2013 07:37 PM
    My guess is no. Was Hangouts buggy on the android side or the iPhone side?

It was not pushing notifications on the iPhone. We got that fixed though and I have already gotten hangouts going with my wife and my parents. I actually like it a lot!

Since almost everyone has a gmail, I think this will be the closest alternative to face time available. Thanks for the help!

PS. If anyone knows of any other easy video calling apps, please feel free to share

10-27-2013 08:09 PM
    It was not pushing notifications on the iPhone. We got that fixed though and I have already gotten hangouts going with my wife and my parents. I actually like it a lot!

Since almost everyone has a gmail, I think this will be the closest alternative to face time available. Thanks for the help!

PS. If anyone knows of any other easy video calling apps, please feel free to share

Cool. Glad you figured it out.

10-27-2013 08:38 PM
    so u mean there is no Video call option in S4 itself???
    08-21-2014 05:35 AM