Samsung Galaxy S4 cannot connect to PC via USB after upgrade to Android 4.3

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Trooperxxx had the solution for me, it was the cable.
"I experienced the same issues after getting the S4. The solution: You MUST use the USB cable that came with the phone. If you use another USB cable, it will charge but will not connect to a PC. Once I used the supplied cable that came with the phone, it connected, was recognized by my PC correctly and was able to access the phone files on the sd card and phone memory. My phone is from Verizon and is on Android 4.3"

Thank you for the help!

Yes and no some cables are charge some are data cables (data cables do both) if you buy a secondary cable make sure it's also a data cable and not just a charge cable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

jayannbayobay

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If only I knew samsung is just gonna cause me headache.. I would've bought Iphone instead. My friend's samsung phone went dead because of the autoupdates they are initiating. I stopped mine, now my laptop can't even realize that this device is existing and connected to it...

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If only I knew samsung is just gonna cause me headache.. I would've bought Iphone instead. My friend's samsung phone went dead because of the autoupdates they are initiating. I stopped mine, now my laptop can't even realize that this device is existing and connected to it...

I'm not having the connection issues it would be best to tell me what version of android your on your Baseband mk2 mdl what version of windows your on or Mac or linux??

Stefradyn

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just unlocked my screen when it switched of and kept flashing the Samsung Galazy S4 GT-19500 sign. It wont switch on or do anything, no lights burn when putting phone on charge. I read some of the posts which suggested updating through your PC. When I connected it through the USB it didn't pick up my phone... Please help!!!!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just unlocked my screen when it switched of and kept flashing the Samsung Galazy S4 GT-19500 sign. It wont switch on or do anything, no lights burn when putting phone on charge. I read some of the posts which suggested updating through your PC. When I connected it through the USB it didn't pick up my phone... Please help!!!!

That's what's known as a boot loop are you rooted??
And to update it has to be in download mode to access the USB and a program called odin
Honestly I would put it into recovery mode and see if you can restore it

Stefradyn

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
No idea what rooted is or how to get rooted... but your help would be appreciated. No idea how to get it in any other mode either if it's not working and not connecting to my pc either. I feel extremely annoyed right now. So please forgive me if I sound short or rude.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It's not too hard for recovery power button volume down home button make sure you have a full battery and see if you can navigate up and down with the volume keys and select using the power button see if you can find the restore option hit the power button and let it do its magic

Slade Wald

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU! It was the chord!!!! Dont use any chord ... if it doesnt connect to the computer, try a different chord. Make sure its a basic USB chord. Mine that didnt work had a thing where you can change the head of it.

mhariox72

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
My good friend, your post was the one that help me. Issue was that the USB setting was set to RMNET + DM + MODEM. Just changed it, reboot and now my S4 connects with my laptop perfectly. Thanks a lot... ;)

mhariox72

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I just spent HOURS on Google trying to figure this out. More than likely this is the answer, somehow your Qualcomm Modem settings got changed.
If you are using Android 4.3 open the dial pad and dial *#0808#
Android 4.2 *#7284#
My good friend, your post was the one that help me. Issue was that the USB setting was set to RMNET + DM + MODEM. Just changed it, reboot and now my S4 connects with my laptop perfectly. Thanks a lot...
then under Qualcomm USB or USB settings it should be on MTP or MTP+ADB, it was probably on RMNET + DM + MODEM. Make the change and choose OK.

All should be fine now. :D

Sources: enable mtp as default usb connection - xda-developers
need help finding the usb (qualcomm usb settings menu) on 4.3 - xda-developers

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
My good friend, your post was the one that help me. Issue was that the USB setting was set to RMNET + DM + MODEM. Just changed it, reboot and now my S4 connects with my laptop perfectly. Thanks a lot... ;)

To whom are you talking to?? I get lost in these threads XDP

YVII

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Same here, after my phone automatically updated into 4.3, it just won't connect to my laptop using my usb cable. I've tried everything that i have read, but still i can't seem to fix my problem. It was working fine one minute then the next it was totally a disaster. I have done trying to use the kies, install and uninstall the phone tried to seek help for fix it but there can't seem to help. Did anyone encounter this kind of problem?

Hope someone can help me, thanks. :':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here, after my phone automatically updated into 4.3, it just won't connect to my laptop using my usb cable. I've tried everything that i have read, but still i can't seem to fix my problem. It was working fine one minute then the next it was totally a disaster. I have done trying to use the kies, install and uninstall the phone tried to seek help for fix it but there can't seem to help. Did anyone encounter this kind of problem?

Hope someone can help me, thanks. :':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

Did you go to device manager and see if there is a flag on the usb

mom2boys91

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
When you plug your phone in via USB to the PC, using the pull down menu click on the little USB icon and change it from Camera (PTP) to Media device (MTP). You may have to go into My Computer and click on the phone (mine is under 'portable devices'). Hope this helps!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
OK you need the drivers as well download samsung kies and get the drivers

Ali Rashada

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I was having this same problem of not being able to connect my Samsum S4 to computer after update...

the solution that fixed that problem....drum roll please....

Make sure you are using the USB cable that came with the phone. As soon as I tried to use a Samsung USB cable, everything worked fine! The solution I tried said it must be a DATA cable, not just a charging cable.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I was having this same problem of not being able to connect my Samsum S4 to computer after update...

the solution that fixed that problem....drum roll please....

Make sure you are using the USB cable that came with the phone. As soon as I tried to use a Samsung USB cable, everything worked fine! The solution I tried said it must be a DATA cable, not just a charging cable.

Yea there's a disparity in this people think oh it charges therefor data not the case it's actually missing 2 wires that transfers the data it simply has the ground wire (white) positive (red) negative (black) SO CHARGE ONLY CABLES ARE SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TRANSFER DATA!!!! THERE'S A GOOD REASON IT'S 3 DOLLARS CHEAPER GET EDUCATED :)

Quisling21

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
The method that worked for me:

I'm running 4.4.3 on the Google Play version of the Samsung Galaxy S4, and the only way I was able to connect my phone to my PC (after properly ensuring the correct drivers were installed) was by changing the following setting:

Under Settings -> Storage -> (the ... menu in the upper right corner) -> USB computer connection -> enable MTP.

This allowed the phone to connect as a media device to xfer files on the PC. I originally disabled this to disconnect from the PC and just couldn't find a way to get back to this menu to re-enable it, and I believe it's disabled by default in 4.4.2 and higher (though I may be mistaken on this).

Hopefully this helps someone!