On my wife's phone I would like to use my google account for the google play store (so we can use the same apps) but for nothing else. I don't want my gmail, or calendars, or anything else on her phone. Is that possible? It seems if I add my google account for purposes of the google play store, then it is automatically available for gmail, even if I "uncheck" it.

Any fixes?
    11-02-2013 03:19 PM
    You can go to Gmail and tell the app not to sync your mail. My 10-year-old sister uses my HTC One X+ so that's what I've done for us, so she can use the apps I paid for and I can buy her apps she likes. Not giving your wife access to the app itself may require a password protection app. I don't know what to suggest for that though since I didn't need to worry about my sister meddling with my emails.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    11-02-2013 07:06 PM
    The way to do this is to go into Settings, then Accounts, then Google, then under Accounts tap on the Gmail address. (This is on my Verizon S4 with Android 4.2.2; if you don't see exactly this on your wife's phone, you may need to hunt around a bit, but it should be there.) This will bring up a menu where you can uncheck the things you don't want synced to her phone. This can include Contacts as well as Calendar and Gmail.

However, if you didn't do that immediately on setting up the phone, I'm not sure you can prevent an initial sync which would download these things to her phone in the state in which they existed at that moment. If you really don't want even that, you could, for the calendar, go into Application manager (on my phone, Settings > More), scroll right to the All column, and find Calendar and (I think) also Calendar storage. In these, tap Clear data (and maybe Clear cache as well), and I would imagine that this would wipe out whatever might have gotten synced to the phone prior to selecting not to sync the calendar.

If your wife wants to have her own calendar to manage on the phone, you or she can go into Google Calendar on the computer or the Calendar app on the phone and create a new calendar that would be separate from yours, and similarly set up your phone so that you would not be seeing her events.
    11-04-2013 08:39 AM