system upgrade issues

ajbtennis

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Recently upgraded my GS4 and now when I try to use my key pad and dial a number or search my contacts from a text message, I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped working." Is there a way to restore the phone to the previous setting without a full restore?

Last edited:

JawsFan

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, same thing happened to me after the update yesterday. Not sure what to do. I tried a bunch of suggestions by other people when they got this message in the past. No go.

Stacia A

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Any suggestions or resolutions from anywhere? Is there any way to back out of the update once it's installed?

ajbtennis

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I went to my carrier store and they didn't know what to do. They suggested I download all of my files, pictures, music, videos etc. and perform a factory reset... I've yet to do that, only as a last resort. :mad:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately there's always a risk of something going wrong with any update on any device. :banghead:

Sometimes a factory reset is the only way to get it right. Good luck! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

Markus5

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I know!

After the Galaxy S4 update, if you get the "Unfortunately contacts has stopped" error, you need to force the call history to be erased. I found this by debugging the phone (I was supposed to write a app for my company, so I learned some stuff.) and saw that the phone app was asking the contacts app for call history and it crashed. I took a guess that erasing the call history might do something.

Bad news is that I couldn't find how to erase the call history from the contacts app (which is where its kept). Erasing call history is done from the phone app, but it crashes when you try to access the menu. Maybe you can find a way to do it. I couldn't.

Good news is that I erased the call history using a different contacts app. I installed "Contacts +" used it to erase the call history.

Tada! No more crashes.

Hope this helps others.

MTGrizSteve

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Markus5...I had this problem too. As others are finding with the "Unfortunately contacts has stopped" message, clearing the call history is a NO GO since the dialer crashes when trying to access it. Just to amplify and confirm what Markus5 discovered (if someone needs the step by step). Download "Contacts +". Once installed and opened, go to call history (rightmost icon on top bar). Then press the S4's menu button and bring up the choices...select "Clear call log". It should clear all your old call history. Close the app and open your original S4 dialer...all should be good to go! No need to do a big phone reset or zap your personalized settings. You can then uninstall the Contacts +....or keep it around....kind of a cool enhancement. PROBLEM SOLVED!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Markus5...I had this problem too. As others are finding with the "Unfortunately contacts has stopped" message, clearing the call history is a NO GO since the dialer crashes when trying to access it. Just to amplify and confirm what Markus5 discovered (if someone needs the step by step). Download "Contacts +". Once installed and opened, go to call history (rightmost icon on top bar). Then press the S4's menu button and bring up the choices...select "Clear call log". It should clear all your old call history. Close the app and open your original S4 dialer...all should be good to go! No need to do a big phone reset or zap your personalized settings. You can then uninstall the Contacts +....or keep it around....kind of a cool enhancement. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for helping out those who might have this problem! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Markus5

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I will warn everyone that the problem does return. I keep Contacts+ installed just to clear the call history. Its a nice program, but that's not my reason to keep it installed.
There is something seriously wrong, but I'm not chasing it down at this time. This work-around is just dumb lucky. But, some times, that's OK.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I finally got it just a few minutes ago!
I hope I don't get any bugs or problems...:thumbup::cool:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Attachments

• 1384217497902.jpg
    1384217497902.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 22

suzychow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Try going to date and time and make sure a time format is checked, example 24 hr format, or change the format. This may fix your problems... Hard to believe but it worked with on my phone after it updated and was giving that error message

Posted via Android Central App

Joanna Hargis

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'mDoingWrong?
Contacts + Is Installed But Is Not Finding AnyContacts Our Calls To Delete WhatDoYouThinkI'm
I will warn everyone that the problem does return. I keep Contacts+ installed just to clear the call history. Its a nice program, but that's not my reason to keep it installed.
There is something seriously wrong, but I'm not chasing it down at this time. This work-around is just dumb lucky. But, some times, that's OK.

Joanna Hargis

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
well I followed all the instructions folks left out here I have a Motorola Android installing contacts plus didn't work none of the other things worked so for like the 4th time I skimmed through my apps I found an app called contacts storage .that had become disabled somehow I enabled it and everything started working again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2