Extremely unhappy with Galaxy S4...

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know this is going to be a long post, but please bear with me and feel free to offer any piece of advice you can.

So I bought a Galaxy S4 on an early upgrade 3 days ago and (stupidly, i know) allowed the Bell service guy persuade me into getting the S4. I was interested in the HTC One as well but it got pushed to the side. I came home and enjoyed the S4 for about 3 hours. After that I knew i made the wrong decision. My main gripe is the home button. It started to make crackling, double click sounds from just tapping it. It is about 2x worse as of today. I also have been experiencing extreme lag to the point where checking things quickly is just out of the picture. 8/10 games have crashed after install. And lastly, the phone will randomly reboot at least twice a day.

Bell told me I have 14 days and under 50mb of data to return the phone. Again, stupidly, when I got home i figured the phone would be alright and went ahead and downloaded all my apps. Well over 50mb. I am at the point of complete frustration and anger with this phone. I am going to call Bell again and demand some sort of return, even if they have to waive the data thing. I refuse to send my phone for repair for 2 weeks JUST after buying it, and being this unhappy with it.

Phew. If you have made it this far, I praise you.

So my question is, has anyone gone through something like this? And has your service provider given you a refund after demanding one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, no. My S4 's defect is with the battery, which is thankfully easily replaceable. I would say though that you should demand a replacement unit. The behavior of your phone isn't normal for a brand new phone. I pray to God you did not receive a refurbished unit. In any case, you shouldn't be unhappy with your phone after just a few days of getting it. If you can demand for them to give you the phone phone you actually want, then do so. But before anything else I advise you to check out consumer laws and waive your rights to them. That 50 MB of data seems odd and it's a pretty small amount, to be honest. Next time though, don't consume all of it and download 10 MB to test out the connection and the rest via WiFi.

If I had any problem with my S4 though, I am guessing it will be sent for a repair instead of a replacement with my carrier since carriers and all sorts of companies are crappy in my country... But then that's why I make sure the warranty is with the manufacturer and that I pursue it with them.

I haven't gotten the time to pursue the warranty for my phone battery yet, but I will do so probably next month.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, no. My S4 's defect is with the battery, which is thankfully easily replaceable. I would say though that you should demand a replacement unit. The behavior of your phone isn't normal for a brand new phone. I pray to God you did not receive a refurbished unit. In any case, you shouldn't be unhappy with your phone after just a few days of getting it. If you can demand for them to give you the phone phone you actually want, then do so. But before anything else I advise you to check out consumer laws and waive your rights to them. That 50 MB of data seems odd and it's a pretty small amount, to be honest. Next time though, don't consume all of it and download 10 MB to test out the connection and the rest via WiFi.

If I had any problem with my S4 though, I am guessing it will be sent for a repair instead of a replacement with my carrier since carriers and all sorts of companies are crappy in my country... But then that's why I make sure the warranty is with the manufacturer and that I pursue it with them.

I haven't gotten the time to pursue the warranty for my phone battery yet, but I will do so probably next month.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response! I also pray to god that this was not a refurbished unit. If so, this will be the SECOND time i have gotten one from my provider without notice and have had a problem with it. (Previously an IPhone 5). I will definitely check out the consumer laws. They actually told me though that the 50mb counts whether it be WiFi or Mobile Data, which I found ridiculous but what can you do.

Funny though, I also just realized that my micro USB doesn't actually sit properly in the phone. It is loose on one side. I will definitely be demanding a return...

Good luck on getting that battery replaced!

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the response! I also pray to god that this was not a refurbished unit. If so, this will be the SECOND time i have gotten one from my provider without notice and have had a problem with it. (Previously an IPhone 5). I will definitely check out the consumer laws. They actually told me though that the 50mb counts whether it be WiFi or Mobile Data, which I found ridiculous but what can you do.

Funny though, I also just realized that my micro USB doesn't actually sit properly in the phone. It is loose on one side. I will definitely be demanding a return...

Good luck on getting that battery replaced!

I wonder if a factory reset world erase the data calculator.... that 50mb thing reminds me of what indirect dealers do in the states.

Note 3 <Caesars>

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Definitely do a hard reset first and see if software problems go away. These problems are not normal at all.

There is nothing can be done on the home button, many people find variety of problems with Samsung's home button, just install a gravity on and of and pie chart, you won't need to press home or power button ever again.

@T-Mobile GN3

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Definitely do a hard reset first and see if software problems go away. These problems are not normal at all.

There is nothing can be done on the home button, many people find variety of problems with Samsung's home button, just install a gravity on and of and pie chart, you won't need to press home or power button ever again.

@T-Mobile GN3

What is a "gravity on and of and pie chart"?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
That 50mb rule is ridiculous and suspect imo. I would locate a different store from your carrier and swap the phone. How do you not blow right through that just setting the phone up for the for the first time?
And why would it even matter? If you return it they would just wipe it anyway.
It sounds shady like a way to sell you a bad unit without you having a way to possibly return it.
Good luck.

"Just posting my thoughts. Not an expert. Please search, read and make backups."

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
What is a "gravity on and of and pie chart"?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

"Gravity on and off" is an app that turns on and of phone using proximity sensor or motion sensor.

Pie chat allows quick switch between apps and home screen.

@T-Mobile GN3

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
OP I think you need a new provider....

In About phone, what does it say the model number is? With so many issues I'm beginning to wonder if you even have a legitimate S4. There are plenty of very good fakes from China.

On a side note, I had the HTC One for about 3 months and then traded it in a galaxy S4, and I would never go back. The HTC One is a beautiful phone with a great screen, but the S4 just brings so much more to the table. Removable battery, SD card storage, Sbeam, a bigger screen, and a physical home button.
Try to get a replacement and/or get a different provider. These people seem like a joke of a company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

@T-Mobile GN3

Trust me, I have done at least 3 factory resets and these issues still occur.

That 50mb rule is ridiculous and suspect imo. I would locate a different store from your carrier and swap the phone. How do you not blow right through that just setting the phone up for the for the first time?
And why would it even matter? If you return it they would just wipe it anyway.
It sounds shady like a way to sell you a bad unit without you having a way to possibly return it.
Good luck.

"Just posting my thoughts. Not an expert. Please search, read and make backups."

It is completely ridiculous, I know. I actually downloaded the apps via WiFi but they told me that this "rule" was for WiFi or Cellular Data.

OP I think you need a new provider....

In About phone, what does it say the model number is? With so many issues I'm beginning to wonder if you even have a legitimate S4. There are plenty of very good fakes from China.

On a side note, I had the HTC One for about 3 months and then traded it in a galaxy S4, and I would never go back. The HTC One is a beautiful phone with a great screen, but the S4 just brings so much more to the table. Removable battery, SD card storage, Sbeam, a bigger screen, and a physical home button.
Try to get a replacement and/or get a different provider. These people seem like a joke of a company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Model number is SGH-l337M. The carrier I am unfortunately stuck with for another 2 years. It is actually one of the biggest carriers here in Canada it's just that they have horrible (and I mean HORRIBLE) quality control. They just want the phones sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they got hundreds of calls per day about hardware defects. Thanks for the HTC One tip. At this point, I will just be happy if i can even get a replacement.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
chocochip9
Just go and tell them you don't want this phone and demand an exchange for the HTC One that you wanted in the first place!
Or try to get the new Nexus 5, either way do not waste time and return it if you aren't happy!
Raise hell if necessary!

I also was torn between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4, at the end I went with the GS4 since it was the best option for me and my needs.
I'm very happy with my choice, but everyone has different needs, so go on and get the phone YOU want!

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, back with a bit of an update. Figured I'd post right down to the final result so this thread can be of future use hopefully.

I called Bell, twice actually because the first person I spoke to was very unhelpful. Anyway. I basically explained to the second person how unhappy I am with the phone and let her know each problem I was having. A finicky home button, wobbly micro USB, and random reboots was thankfully enough for her to understand that I had a defected phone.

Because I (and what a shocker... -_-) was over 30 minutes call time and 50mb of data, It will be hard for me to get a replacement. The representative said to go into the same Bell store that I purchased the phone and explain to them what I told her. If I'm lucky, I can claim for DOA or consumers remorse and see if they waive the talk time/data. If given a hard time, I was told to speak with a manager and basically demand a replacement.

If all that doesn't work, I can call Samsung and see what they can do. Doubt it would be much though.

Sigh... I will go into a store tomorrow and post back the results. Fingers crossed :-\

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
No. Mine has something entirely different going on which I can't pin down to phone, SIM, network or other. Some times calls don't connect and auto hang up before ringing and my data hangs (both happen at different times). Am outside of return period. Doesn't happen that often, but often enough to take notice

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No. Mine has something entirely different going on which I can't pin down to phone, SIM, network or other. Some times calls don't connect and auto hang up before ringing and my data hangs (both happen at different times). Am outside of return period. Doesn't happen that often, but often enough to take notice

Posted via Android Central App
Sorry to hear that. When I got my first Galaxy S4 it had the main camera off center and battery life was dismal. :banghead:
Needless to say I exchanged it!

This GS4 has been great so far! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I think my home button feels inferior to my wife's S4. Hers just feels solid and mine is more clicky. But it still presses true. Clicky or not, I wouldn't want to have to give up the home button I've come very accustomed to it like most iPhone users are.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy ? S4 using Tapatalk Pro

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think my home button feels inferior to my wife's S4. Hers just feels solid and mine is more clicky. But it still presses true. Clicky or not, I wouldn't want to have to give up the home button I've come very accustomed to it like most iPhone users are.

When you say more "clicky", do you mean it also makes noises? :confused::what:
If it does there's probably something wrong I guess, because I don't think it's supposed to make noises.

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
When you say more "clicky", do you mean it also makes noises? :confused::what:
If it does there's probably something wrong I guess, because I don't think it's supposed to make noises.

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

Kind of hard to describe. Other than it just doesn't feel as solid as the S3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci