Hey everyone

My girlfriend just came over from and iPhone to the S4. I got her the new Hangouts update, but she's having issues with the lack of a notification badge when looking at the app on either the home screen or app drawer (this functionality is in the default messages app for the S4 as well as what she was used to on the iPhone). I brought her over to Hangouts because of what it can do, but she won't use it if she doesn't know that there's a new message (she's not used to the notification bar) and would instead stick to the sms only messages app.

Does anybody have either a short or long term fix to bring notification badges to the Hangouts app?

Thanks in advance
    11-03-2013 12:20 PM
    Sorry... So she refused to use the notification bar?
    The other apps are not configured with Touchwiz to have that badge, I'm afraid so here's what I would do in case my boyfriend decides to become stubborn and refuse to adapt to a new phone UI:

- Get Apex Launcher (I have the pro version... Not sure if you can use the Notifier with the free version) and install Apex Notifier. Now all of the apps have notification badges. If he is so much in love with the iPhone and possibly iOS, I would go so far as to get him the skin for it.

Or I would get an iPhone launcher app that would clone the iPhone UI for him. Note that continuity will be a problem as Android programs are NOT meant to look like iOS programs.

- Give the S4 back and exchange it for an iPhone. Either she wants the change or she doesn't. If she doesn't, she will refuse to adjust. Trust me, I know. I have a family member who I gave an HTC flagship to with all the shortcuts she needed already on the homescreen. She just needed to tap it. But she didn't like the change so I had to go buy her a Nokia keyboard phone because it's what she's used to.

Sometimes people just want utter simplicity and familiarity, no matter how convenient a better piece of technology is.

P.S. iOS also has a notification bar that you can drop down to view and tap to get to the apps. So I really don't know what she's on about.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2013 05:23 PM