01-13-2018 09:43 PM
26 12
tools
    Out of nowhere, my phone has been taken over by ads. Not completely, but whenever you unlock the phone from sleep, and periodically while using (at random functions).

After unlocking from sleep, it usually opens a web page with some youve won crap. Other times it is a system type popup with a list of apps for download. It has also randomly taken me to the groupon ap in GOOGLE APS.

Hopefully this is a common recent event that is widespread that someone will recognize and be able to tell me what it is but I know its likely that its one of those things that no one will be able to just identify on the spot, like any other spam / virus.

My hope is that someone can at least tell me a way that I can find out for myself what started this crap. As everyone knows, multiple apps are updating all day every day, so I'm not able to pin down any specific period. I don't use a lot of aps, and the ones I choose are "reputable" ones that I expect I shouldn't have to worry about switching to something like this. I already use TrustGo, and the only thing it detected from a scan was "identity leak" candidates, which they pretty much all do. There really should be some serious North Korean prison time involved for scum that do this.

Really appreciate any help.
    Kimberlie Wehrman likes this.
    11-04-2013 09:06 AM
    Out of nowhere, my phone has been taken over by ads. Not completely, but whenever you unlock the phone from sleep, and periodically while using (at random functions).

After unlocking from sleep, it usually opens a web page with some “you’ve won” crap. Other times it is a system type popup with a list of apps for download. It has also randomly taken me to the “groupon” ap in GOOGLE APS.

Hopefully this is a common recent event that is widespread that someone will recognize and be able to tell me what it is… but I know it’s likely that it’s one of those things that no one will be able to just identify on the spot, like any other spam / virus.

My hope is that someone can at least tell me a way that I can find out for myself what started this crap. As everyone knows, multiple apps are updating all day every day, so I'm not able to pin down any specific period. I don't use a lot of aps, and the ones I choose are "reputable" ones that I expect I shouldn't have to worry about switching to something like this. I already use TrustGo, and the only thing it detected from a scan was "identity leak" candidates, which they pretty much all do. There really should be some serious North Korean prison time involved for scum that do this.

Really appreciate any help.
    Go to system settings > applications > running and see which apps are running that shouldn't be. That would likely be the culprit. If nothing is present and you are still receiving the pop-ups, then the issue can be attributed to a rogue app running in the background when it shouldn't.

Consider a factory reset after backing up your data to clear the issue for sure.
    Ameer Nuub likes this.
    11-04-2013 09:48 AM
    I installed a bad app on my old phone and Air Push detector told me the problem app. One uninstalled, I was fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...irpushdetector

Posted via Android Central App
    Ameer Nuub likes this.
    11-04-2013 10:42 AM
    Wonderful info, folks... much appreciated. I'll be trying these ideas directly.
    11-04-2013 03:06 PM
    Wonderful info, folks... much appreciated. I'll be trying these ideas directly.
    Did it work for you?
    11-06-2013 03:27 AM
    Have a search for a tool on the play store called 'malware bytes' if you get the chance, that'll kill any nasties manifesting inside
    Rofhiwa Nesamari and Ally G1 like this.
    11-06-2013 03:48 AM
    Did it work for you?
    Hmm... it's not looking like it. I did a scan with both Airpush and Malwarebytes, and it found nothing. I noticed that it leaves several web pages open after force opening googleplay; sites like adtrack.king.com, ad-x.co.uk, hastrk1, etc. I don't understand how these sites, companies, and people can exist when it is known they hijack.
    Avinash Jagassar likes this.
    11-06-2013 06:21 AM
    Maybe this new kind of ad as pop ups need a new approach for catching the app that caused this.
    Using its need for data for to build this ad for the pop up.

I take it that this culprit app needs data for its pop up. You could proof this when there wouldn't pop ups while you switch off mobile data and WiFi.

I use an app which logs the background data of apps, 'Network Connections' from Play Store.
    Install and run the app (start Live Capture) ... and after the ad pops up you might see an active app that should not sending/receiving data.
    11-06-2013 06:36 AM
    Hmm... it's not looking like it. I did a scan with both Airpush and Malwarebytes, and it found nothing. I noticed that it leaves several web pages open after force opening googleplay; sites like adtrack.king.com, ad-x.co.uk, hastrk1, etc. I don't understand how these sites, companies, and people can exist when it is known they hijack.
    Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I googled an issue I am having with my Galaxy s2, and it sounds like I have the EXACT same problem as you Ameer.

I have downloaded Airpush and Bitdfender, both find nothing. Its also really annoying me because I believe it has be sucking large amounts of data. I have an overage on my data usage now because of it. Even when I am wifi I can see that the little download arrow is almost constantly lit up. I worry that whatever this malware is, might be sucking some personal info too.

If anyone figures out what is causing this, please let me know!
    12-09-2013 07:30 AM
    I installed an app from the Play Store that was Guns N' Roses ring tones. I loved that app, until it started taking my phone over with ads. Holy smokes!! The ads were everywhere, so I just deleted the app and the ads vvanished.so, go through your aps and delete ones you rarely use and see if that works.
    12-09-2013 10:48 PM
    buddy if you are using ad block plus uninstall it coz i did and it worked for me
    11-23-2014 08:26 AM
    I was having the same issue. Pop ups every time I opened my stock messaging app. I deleted apps trying to figure out which one it was, downloaded a lookout scanner thats one function was to find apps that force pop ups, didn't work. Finally I found airpush detector, did a scan, and it turned out to be the walmart app! I didn't think it would be a major corporations app. Anyway, long story short, download airpush detector .
    07-10-2015 04:11 PM
    Have a search for a tool on the play store called 'malware bytes' if you get the chance, that'll kill any nasties manifesting inside
    Malware bytes it works like a charm, thanks alots it took me ages to find the fix for this problems.
    06-13-2016 12:20 PM
    Okay, so you need so download a antivirus that has a firewall thing (im using avast) and just block the apps (usually no icons and no name) and it's done, but you need a root permission-:
    06-15-2016 09:01 PM
    Thank you so much ^.^ fixed my problem
    09-15-2016 09:43 PM
    I just had this issue now. Admittedly I had download a couple shady apks. It was actually really easy to get rid of. I waited for an ad to pop up, I hit the home button, then the recent apps button. The ad was in the list of recent aps but had no name or icon. I held my thumb where the icon should have been and it took me to the app info page in settings. I cleared its cache and data, turned off notifications and then hit uninstall. It successfully uninstalled and haven't had a pop up since. 👍
    09-21-2016 03:14 AM
    Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I googled an issue I am having with my Galaxy s2, and it sounds like I have the EXACT same problem as you Ameer.

I have downloaded Airpush and Bitdfender, both find nothing. Its also really annoying me because I believe it has be sucking large amounts of data. I have an overage on my data usage now because of it. Even when I am wifi I can see that the little download arrow is almost constantly lit up. I worry that whatever this malware is, might be sucking some personal info too.

If anyone figures out what is causing this, please let me know!
    You can also activate your developer option, go into running services and go through to see what app is running that you don't recognise or didn't download. That's most likely the app. I had this exact same problem and this solved it without me having to download any of those things
    11-10-2016 05:49 PM
    The sae thing is happening to me idk what to do its so often now and its bugging the hell out of me i watch netflix on my phone and every few minuites it pops up with an add for wish i deleted wish and it still pops up ive deleted all the apps ive downloaded since but nothing changes
    11-20-2016 12:19 AM
    I had the same problem and found that in my running apps there was an app without icon that was running. I uninstalled it and my problem was fixed
    02-15-2017 03:43 AM
    This worked for me, thank you so much.
    04-08-2017 06:17 AM
    It's more tricky than you think . it's an app listed on top of your app list on setting app manu without any icon and amusingly is also in your administrator manu with administrator parmission. First disabled administrative permission and uninstall it from your settings app manu and also delete the folders from your phone memory
    04-25-2017 10:09 AM
    I also have the same problem I checked in running app one app was there without any image but I can't uninstall it can
    05-10-2017 01:32 PM
    I tried, it worked I first went to device administration and there was something without any Icon I deactivated it and went to settings and went to running apps and uninstalled it thanks for the suggestion
    Ranrinny likes this.
    05-10-2017 01:36 PM
    *SOLVED* so was annoyed with the same problem , i tried random cleaning apps, malware detectors,air push and what not nothing worked but mc fee anti virus . Do try im sure itll work out
    06-30-2017 03:51 PM
    I've been having the same issue. And just by downloading McFee antivirus security will fix everything. ✅✅✅
    10-26-2017 04:48 PM
26 12