Hey all,

I have two Galaxy S4's and BOTH are experiencing the exact same problems post 4.3 upgrade:
    - Official Verizon 2.1a car chargers no longer charge.
    - Bluetooth audio intermittently cuts out while playing music (local or streaming).
    - WiFi guest networks no longer prompt to login, have to disconnect/reconnect to get login prompt.
    - Unexplained reasons why network is switching between WiFi and cellular; however it's killing the battery.
    - SMS (google voice and native) no longer find contacts when searching for a name. Have to go to the contact and select a default # first.
    - General performance feels more sluggish than normal.

I called VZW tech support and he stated no one else has reported these problems. I find it hard to believe that this isn't software related as two phones are having the exact same problems, post 4.3 upgrade. Prior to the upgrade, none of these problem existed. The tech stated next step would be to reset to factory, which while I don't mind doing, I just truly don't feel it's going to do anything once it's upgraded back to 4.3 and I'm just going to waste time.

Anyone else having similar problems? Debating if I should just root our phones and go with a custom rom ... at the least, go back to 4.2.

Thanks
    11-06-2013 04:18 PM
    I've noticed the same problems recently as well. The voice recognition no longer works to make calls, and when I type someone's name in messaging to add them as a recipient it doesn't recognize them. Instead it converts letters to numbers and brings up every number with the corresponding letters. It's very frustrating, I only know about 5 of my contacts actual numbers.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-06-2013 04:28 PM
    Back on the phone with VZW now that I'm seeing others are having these issues, that and I got a text from the VZW rep. They have confirmed that they know of two of the issues:
    - Verizon car charger isn't working
    - Text messaging contact issue

On hold to talk to Samsung now.
    11-06-2013 05:13 PM
    Spoke to Samsung.

Short version is that they're aware of some of these issues and supposedly there is to be some sort of maintenance release relatively soon. For now, nothing more I/we can do but attempt a reset and see where that goes. I will be doing so within the next couple days hopefully and see what happens from there.
    11-06-2013 05:57 PM
    at the least, go back to 4.2.
    AFAIK, you cannot go back to 4.2 once you took the update as of now. You can read more about it in Android development at XDA.

11-06-2013 05:58 PM
    AFAIK, you cannot go back to 4.2 once you took the update as of now. You can read more about it in Android development at XDA.

You can if your phone is rooted. You just would happen to break Knox warranty, I believe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    11-06-2013 07:31 PM
    You can if your phone is rooted. You just would happen to break Knox warranty, I believe.

Then the devs are working hard, cause you couldn't like yesterday lol.

11-06-2013 08:03 PM
    I just went there and went off to read what people have been doing... People could flash custom ROMs but the bootloader has to be the latest one. Some people have been able to downgrade removing an aboot file with the ROM they are flashing via Odin but WiFi and sound aren't working. They then flash Adam kernel but that only gets the WiFi working, not the sound. All these things could trigger Knox flag if done wrong... People haven't been clear.

However, I have seen from another thread that they have some progress determining where exactly the code for Knox is stored. It's the eMMC and apparently not an eFuse as previously thought. Samsung employees/technicians have something that resets the flag... Two components. One is a JTAG. Forgot the other one.

This means that we have hope. Chainfire can perhaps figure out how to save us all from Samsung.

HPferoxCraft likes this.
    11-06-2013 10:01 PM
    I have had multiple problems also now that I have upgraded. My car will not sync at all with the bluetooth music streaming any more at all and I can no longer use the USB cable to transfer music from my Ubuntu Linux box to the phone SD card. The charging screen no longer appears when I use a different charger that works on the same phone but for 4.2 from AT&T. I am not sure what I can do to fix the problems and I do not know how to go back to the 4.2 working version if I even can.

Thanks
    11-07-2013 11:40 AM
    I've also been having problems with my S4 since updating. Some of my apps have become less responsive when I try to load them, particularly games. Also, some of my apps such as Alarm Clock Ultra and Appy Geek just freeze during use and have to exit. Another thing is the default unlock screen - I am no longer able to hover my finger over the screen and have the light follow my finger. I can't wait for this maintenence upgrade because this is incredibly annoying... though at least I don't have this recurring charging issue!!

11-11-2013 09:21 PM
    I've been keeping my notes here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/809490; however my latest post is worth noting for now:

Spent some time chatting with VZW again tonight and got a little bit further this time.

- They are now confirming that there are known issues
    - They are supposedly working with Samsung at this time as the issues belong to them and they have to fix
    - They have indeed shut off all new updates on the S4
    - Unknown to if it's confirmed that you have to use Samsung OEM chargers on 4.3
    - No ETA as of now to when we can expect any sort of a fix

Well, at least if you get a refurb like we did, you should be able to hang out on 4.2.2 until they get this cluster figured out.
    STSVA likes this.
    11-11-2013 09:32 PM
    I joined this forum trying to find out what was wrong with my GT-19505. a) Flickering screen, b) People saying that they can hear background noise when talking, c) Intermittent dropouts when streaming Radio programs.
    I'm unsure when this all started but its being going on well before Christmas, but didn't want the hassle of trying to find out what was wrong until after the Festivities. The reading of so many issues with the S4 is eye-opening.

My phone shows an update; details below

Android Version 4.3
    Kernel Version 3.4.0-1765174
    Tue Oct 15 16.14.54 KST 2013 ( when it was updated last?)

I'm after advice from persons who have had successful outcomes to these issues.

Thank You all

Bert.
    01-05-2014 11:17 AM