Galaxy S4 SIM Card Missing - THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM

smithrd8003

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I was getting intermittent and unpredictable messages on my S4 telling me SIM Card is missing and must be replaced.

I took batt out then sim out then replaced and sometimes that would fix but only for an hour or 3 or who knows when.
Aft 2nd day I took to Geek Squad - they replaced sim - SAME PROBLEM
Next day I take to Best Buy - Replaced entire Phone - SAME PROBLEM
Next time I take to Best Buy - Replaced battery - SAME PROBLEM.

No physical replacing of parts or phone will fix this problem.

I have entirely new SIM Phone and Battery and still get SIM Missing about 5 times a day and we COULD NOT reproduce error. The phone is sitting on table for 1 hour and you walk up and there is the message. WTF people?

I'm really angry until SAMSUNG diagnoses this problem that 1000s of owners are experiencing.

WHAT UP WITH THIS Folks!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Similar problem but a Lil different. Ever since that stupid update I keep getting a message " SD card has been removed" or "SD card missing"...WTF!! It's annoying. Does it about >10 times a day...help!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

figment jack

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
This is a big problem and very annoying. It would be a little better if the phone would alert you when it happens, but alas it does not and you have no idea how long it has been off the network.
I had the same issue and it started after I broke my screen and replaced it and added a case. When it started getting more frequent, I got a new sim card and it seemed fixed for about a day. Then it got even worse happening 5 to 10 times a day. I tried all the fixes and nothing worked. Tried the reboot into safe mode to see if it was a software install and it didn't help.
I did notice that it happened more frequently when the phone was in my pocket. It got me to thinking that maybe it was something getting loose in the hardware. So I took the phone apart to check the sim card holder and noticed that it is a bracket that also holds the SD card. I pushed on the flat connector that attaches the holder's flat cable to the phone's motherboard, and it moved ever so slightly, like it was loose. I put the phone back together and have not had the error since. This may be why the SD card error is happening as well, due to them being on the same holder and cable.
I know from other forums that Samsung and the repair vendors cannot recreate the error, and it may be because they aren't causing the connecter to get too loose due to warping the phone, as if it is in your pocket.
I know mine is a little different scenario with having my screen replaced, but it may be worth looking into.
Hopefully this can help out a few annoyed S4 users.

John Curwen

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your advise I had exactly the same problem with my s4.Fortunately I did not get to the point of sending the phone away for repair .Your solution worked a treat .
Thanks very much John.

Rick Reumann

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. At&t s4 i377. Very frustrating. Tried new sim card, clear cache in recovery mode etc. Still a problem. Phone is out of warranty now so I'm going to be out of luck.

NPinUK

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
My S4 has the no sim error restart phone problem. Its stock U.K. (BTU) and has never been rooted. This is a major Samsung S4 problem and Samsung need to do something about it.

1st occurrence within 3 months ownership but it got to a point, after a week, where it always read no sim even after restart. Samsung warranty repair changed mother/main board.
Phone was dropping calls after the warranty repair so went back to Samsung. Warranty repair 2. Changed 2 wires, don't know which ones. But now phone was working fine.

3 Weeks after repair 2, the screen went black. I could still hear all tones etc but no screen so can't answer calls (most basic function of phone). Samsung put new screen and another new main/motherboard. So now this is the 3rd mainboard. Phone came back on 2/10/14 after the repair. After 2 days I have again got message about 5 times at a time but restart is solving it for now.

So I think the problem lies in the faulty mainboards Samsung are manufacturing. Why? Because my 1st board failed and eventually always had the message no sim inserted. The engineer report said main board was changed. If it was too do with a faulty sim tray then wouldn't they have fitted one of those instead. 2nd board worked fine even though calls were dropping. This board was in phone for 3 weeks until screen got changed so I'm presuming had to change board along with screen. The latest main board which is apparently new has lasted 2 days. Like I said above its only happened a few times so far but I rather it happen all the time so I can send it in again.

I have spoke to Samsung UK escalation and they said if I require another repair then they will take it higher up but even with an exchange what is there not to say new/refurbished S4 wont be faulty down the line.

What is Samsung doing about this, absolutely nothing. My worst ever experience with a phone and I got a s 1,2,3 which all still work not even a glitch. Will buy another phone but keep fighting for a resolution with this one. Still has 17 months warranty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01