I'm on AT&T and just updated. Post update I now have this weird icon for apps on sd. Seems to only show like this in folders. Anyone else seeing this or know what it's all about? 4.3 brings weird "sd card" image-1384452454004.jpg4.3 brings weird "sd card" image-1384452469204.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-14-2013 12:08 PM
    Did you notice any improvements with the new update? Looks same to me

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    tcm1969 likes this.
    11-14-2013 12:28 PM
    Did you notice any improvements with the new update? Looks same to me

The look is the same. They say they "improved display quality" in some of the change logs but I don't see it.
    The one thing I will say is that I notice a "quickness improvement". Things just feel snappier.
    There's new camera firmware but I haven't tested that out, and a new keyboard but I use SwiftKey so I haven't even looked at it.
    One annoyance, now when you open a folder and go into an app, it works as usual but when you use the home button to leave the app, the folder remains open on the home screen. That's new, very annoying and EXACTLY how my wife's iPhone 5 handles folder actions! :banghead:

speed13 likes this.
    11-14-2013 12:56 PM
    The look is the same. They say they "improved display quality" in some of the change logs but I don't see it.
    The one thing I will say is that I notice a "quickness improvement". Things just feel snappier.
    There's new camera firmware but I haven't tested that out, and a new keyboard but I use SwiftKey so I haven't even looked at it.
    One annoyance, now when you open a folder and go into an app, it works as usual but when you use the home button to leave the app, the folder remains open on the home screen. That's new and very annoying.

A lot of people have complained about the folder not closing, but that's the default folder behavior on PCs running Windows, and my assessment would be that at worst it's a minor annoyance to have to hit the back button to close the folder. If you want to run another app in the folder, that behavior is actually helpful. For example, I group my various image apps, such as Gallery and two or three image editors, in an Image Apps folder; I may start out with Gallery but then want one of the editing programs, so having the folder stay open after exiting Gallery works well for me.
    11-14-2013 01:01 PM
    A lot of people have complained about the folder not closing, but that's the default folder behavior on PCs running Windows, and my assessment would be that at worst it's a minor annoyance to have to hit the back button to close the folder. If you want to run another app in the folder, that behavior is actually helpful. For example, I group my various image apps, such as Gallery and two or three image editors, in an Image Apps folder; I may start out with Gallery but then want one of the editing programs, so having the folder stay open after exiting Gallery works well for me.
    I suspect that the dueling keep-it-open versus shut-it camps are going to cause Android updates to keep going back and forth. My previous phone was an older Samsung running Android 2.2, and its Home screen folders stayed open. I found this annoying (I have my main Home screen set up to look pretty and be relativley clean, and I want to see it that way), so I was glad when I got the S4 with 4.2 and folders that closed after you used them. They must have gotten grief over this from the keep-it-openers, so they changed it back to the older way--and are now getting grief from the rest of us. Carnac predicts Android 4.4 will keep folders open, and 4.5 will close them.

BTW, there are at least 3 ways to close the still-open folder: Back button, Home button, and tap the screen, all equally fast, all equally annoying to have to do.
    STSVA likes this.
    11-14-2013 02:27 PM
    .... and whatever you do, don't the give the End User too much power by giving them the choice.... There might be riots!

STSVA likes this.
    11-14-2013 02:38 PM
    I suspect that the dueling keep-it-open versus shut-it camps are going to cause Android updates to keep going back and forth. My previous phone was an older Samsung running Android 2.2, and its Home screen folders stayed open. I found this annoying (I have my main Home screen set up to look pretty and be relativley clean, and I want to see it that way), so I was glad when I got the S4 with 4.2 and folders that closed after you used them. They must have gotten grief over this from the keep-it-openers, so they changed it back to the older way--and are now getting grief from the rest of us. Carnac predicts Android 4.4 will keep folders open, and 4.5 will close them.

BTW, there are at least 3 ways to close the still-open folder: Back button, Home button, and tap the screen, all equally fast, all equally annoying to have to do.
    I can live with it either way. Carnac is probably right about the future.
    11-14-2013 02:40 PM
    Hey, wait. We got away from my Op (that never happens here, lol). What's the deal with the weird icons for apps that are on sd?

11-14-2013 04:18 PM
    Hey, wait. We got away from my Op (that never happens here, lol). What's the deal with the weird icons for apps that are on sd?

I noticed that we strayed away from that as well. Haha. This most likely signifies the fact that it is on the card itself. Try going into Settings>>More>>Application Manager>>On SD card section. Find the app and look and see if it says "Move to SD Card" or "Move to Device Storage", in it's menu.

Let us know how it goes!
    tcm1969 likes this.
    11-14-2013 04:48 PM
    I noticed that we strayed away from that as well. Haha. This most likely signifies the fact that it is on the card itself. Try going into Settings>>More>>Application Manager>>On SD card section. Find the app and look and see if it says "Move to SD Card" or "Move to Device Storage", in it's menu.

Let us know how it goes!
    They all say "move to device storage" which is correct because I put those apps on sd. The difference pre vs post update is that the app icon has changed to that weird grey "sd" icon. It makes it tougher to quickly click the app because it's identifier (the icon) has changed to a very blah icon.
    I'm going to try removing them and then putting them back on sd. Maybe it's just an update glitch.

11-14-2013 04:58 PM
    They all say "move to device storage" which is correct because I put those apps on sd. The difference pre vs post update is that the app icon has changed to that weird grey "sd" icon. It makes it tougher to quickly click the app because it's identifier (the icon) has changed to a very blah icon.
    I'm going to try removing them and then putting them back on sd. Maybe it's just an update glitch.

I was just about to suggest that. Just try reinstalling them.
    tcm1969 likes this.
    11-14-2013 05:24 PM
    I was just about to suggest that. Just try reinstalling them.
    I moved apps back to device. Rebooted (just cuz) then moved apps back to sd.
    When I took them off sd, I got my icons back but once back on sd, weird grey sd icons again. Weird. Especially since "move to sd" was a Samsung thing....
    I wonder what broke?

11-14-2013 07:31 PM
    I moved apps back to device. Rebooted (just cuz) then moved apps back to sd.
    When I took them off sd, I got my icons back but once back on sd, weird grey sd icons again. Weird. Especially since "move to sd" was a Samsung thing....
    I wonder what broke?

I also wonder this. I'll do my research and try to get back to you
    tcm1969 likes this.
    11-14-2013 07:32 PM
    The same thing has happened with some of my apps that I had moved to the SD card. I did not uninstall, I just rebooted a couple of times and they are back in full color. I do not have a reason for it though.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-16-2013 03:10 AM
    I have no problems with the update and I can just give a big plus for the update. Only what I found my chomp sms not working so great, I'm not getting messages before I open the app, have no idea why.

11-17-2013 12:26 AM
    i had the similar issue where i moved apps to the SD card and the icons got greyed out after updating to 4.3.

the solution is so simple, i facepalmed myself. hard.

for your example of the "AC Forums" app that is greyed out:

- Click Apps

- Select "AC Forums" app

- Drag app to screen or folder

- Delete greyed out app icon

this obviously doesn't explain whether the greyed out icon is when moved to the SD card is a bug or not.
    tcm1969 likes this.
    11-17-2013 12:21 PM
    i had the similar issue where i moved apps to the SD card and the icons got greyed out after updating to 4.3.

the solution is so simple, i facepalmed myself. hard.

for your example of the "AC Forums" app that is greyed out:

- Click Apps

- Select "AC Forums" app

- Drag app to screen or folder

- Delete greyed out app icon

this obviously doesn't explain whether the greyed out icon is when moved to the SD card is a bug or not.
    You've got to be kidding me!
    I feel dumb... :what:
    Thank you!

11-18-2013 04:12 PM
    THANK YOU! I'm new to Android and it was bugging the crap out of me why it was doing it. I can deal with the fix, just a little extra work on my part.
    04-27-2014 03:33 PM