Galaxy S4: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!

mattyloveau

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Touchwiz wont stay as default launcher!

@Lokesh Sastri - I need to seriously thank you for this - I did a factory reset on my phone and still had this same issue. If you look around the web, there are countless people having a similar issue. Someone needs to contact Google to let them know their own search engine is crippling the experience in their OS. Thanks again !

Kingp78

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks So much! That pop up was driving me nuts lol. now only have to figure out why my group text freeze

Tracey Geracia

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Guys, I MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Uninstall the latest search for Google Search (11/15/2013) - It is very unstable. When you hit the Google search bar and then the home button on some your Android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - Touchwiz is stored as default launcher.

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

This is the only place on the Web I read a fix that worked. Thanks! I called my carrier to let them know how to help others. Hope Google knows this!

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to post that there is a more recent update to Google Search, dated November 21, 2013. I just installed it, and it does not cause the "choose your launcher" dialog. I don't know if this will work for everyone (I skipped the November 15 update, so I never saw the problem), but it might be worth a try. If the problem is still there, you can always uninstall the update again.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to post that there is a more recent update to Google Search, dated November 21, 2013. I just installed it, and it does not cause the "choose your launcher" dialog. I don't know if this will work for everyone (I skipped the November 15 update, so I never saw the problem), but it might be worth a try. If the problem is still there, you can always uninstall the update again.

Thanks!
Just letting you know I explored what you suggested, and this Google Search version 3.1.8.xxxxx still causes the same problem for me. (That was the same version originally downloaded earlier this month which caused the problem).
:-( Looking forward to another build....
BTW: is that your build or do you have a later version?

Posted via Android Central App

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

My Google Search build is 3.1.8.914827.arm. Sorry you're still having the problem! I don't know what got into me, thinking that Google would promptly fix something that they recently broke! :p

jnn1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! The constant launcher selection pop up was driving me crazy too. So happy to have the solution - returning Google search to 2.xx - here. Thanks!

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I tried reinstalling the search upgrade today and it returned me right back to the touchwiz selection menu.

I promptly uninstalled the upgrade yet again. Still waiting for Google to fix this...

henrynks

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Hi all, unfortunately this didn't work for me, despite uninstalled Google Search update to version 2.xx - to be exact, it's version 2.6.7.721924.arm

*I even installed the latest version and removed it thereafter but still no hope. *****************

Just to elaborate more on my annoying TouchWiz prompt, just in case if it is actually differ from others:

1. Whenever I press Home button, a prompt by title "Complete action using" will appear.

2. It's with two choices - TouchWiz easy home and TouchWiz Home

3. Once I selected what I want, I can choose either Always or Just Once button.

4. I selects TouchWiz Home and press Always button.

5. Next thing, another prompt appearing, title "Clear default", "Clear default app settings by going to Task manager > Clear default and tapping Clear" <OK> button

6. Click OK button and everything will be good until I locked my screen/phone and upon getting back in, will see the return of this annoying TouchWiz prompt again!!
This also happens on any apps that I'm currently using and wanted to get to Home screen. Anyone experience this before? Any suggestions to resolve this is much appreciated !

More info about S4:
TouchWiz Home version 4.3-I9505XXUEMJ5
TouchWiz easy home version 1.0

Samsung Galaxy S4
Model number GT-I9505
Android version 4.3
Baseband version I9505XXUEMJ5
Build Number JSS15J.I9505XXUEMK5

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-28-13-12-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-28-13-12-54.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2013-11-28-14-05-33-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-28-14-05-33-1.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 22

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

This is exactly what is happening for me and presumptively for everyone else here. Un installing the Google search worked for me but this problem immediately resumes upon updating again.

The only person online who I have heard of fixing it any other way was someone who rooted their phone and used a root file manager to delete Touchwiz easy so that no choice came up.

I am not rooted, and everything I tried, including apps to reassign the home button, all failed.

Phil Nulty

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I started getting this problem when i updated Google hangout to use the sms. None of the above worked for me however going to Google search and clearing cache and data did work.
I'm on android 4.3 build jss15j.i905xxuemj7

Amyswo

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I have exact same problem and it is driving me crazy. I refuse to do another hard reset. Glad the folks here have narrowed down the culprit. Has anyone contacted Google about this? I'll wait for the next update because I'm afraid to try any other changes. Hope it is fixed soon!

TechAddict

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Same problem here. PITA. I do sometimes use Google now and its a nuisance having the update constantly sitting there waiting to be applied, only to have this problem return when you do. Had a quick look but found nowhere yet to give feedback either to Google or Samsung on this bug. An app review is all well and good. IF they get read by them.

I read somewhere that a user flipped between Easy mode (and apply) then back to standard and that fixed the issue. Not for me. But so far, it ONLY happens if I use the Google Search app. I don't use Hangouts so not sure if it'd happen with me there too.

maxx h

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site

It works. Thank you thank you.

guys, i might have found the solution.

Uninstall the latest search for google search (11/15/2013) - it is very unstable. When you hit the google search bar and then the home button on some your android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - touchwiz is stored as default launcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma