Galaxy S4 charging POST 4.3

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well this is strange.

I got the 4.3 upgrade yesterday on my ATT S4 and all appeared to go just fine, though there are some quirks. But today I noticed something that really bizarre. While plugged into my car charger the output voltage has dropped in half. Though maybe it was the charger so tried another and another. With all three car chargers I am no only getting about 550mA. Here plugged in to my AC outlet I'm still getting 1200mA.

In the car I then tried the USB output and got about the same output, 550mA.

I really don't think the car has dropped off but I guess it's possible. But has anyone seen any changes in charging time, etc with the 4.3 upgrade?

Thanks
David

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I did one get an over seven hour charge time. I don't know if it's cause the cable wasn't plugged in properly

Posted via Android Central App

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't check actual numbers but I've noticed my charges much slower since the update.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
That's just what I was coming in here to post. I went on a two hour drive last weekend using my car charger on my S4 and it was able to at least keep pace with the battery drain if not charge it very slowly, but now after I've upgraded to 4.3 it doesn't even recognize when I've plugged in the charger in my car any more.

Only thing that's changed between last weekend and now is the update on my phone.

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Same here. After upgrade, I hear the tone after plugging in my car charger but the battery icon doesn't have the lightning bolt. I rebooted my phone and then the bolt icon was there. When plugging it in an hour later on the car charger, heard the tone, but no charging bolt icon once again.
I've gone thru this routine several times over the past few days, and hope to not have to do it for much longer. Sucks.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion about this in other threads. Rebooting the phone was enough to fix it for me, but apparently doesn't work for everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion about this in other threads. Rebooting the phone was enough to fix it for me, but apparently doesn't work for everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah I've rebooted a few times to no avail. I'm dreading doing a clean install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Is this the kind of information that we would want to submit to Android or to Samsung to see if they can put out some kind of patch to fix it?

While they're at it it would be nice if they could bring back the old voice for navigation, I don't see how the new one is possibly an upgrade over the last one, it just sounds robotic.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this the kind of information that we would want to submit to Android or to Samsung to see if they can put out some kind of patch to fix it?

While they're at it it would be nice if they could bring back the old voice for navigation, I don't see how the new one is possibly an upgrade over the last one, it just sounds robotic.

I'd would think so yeah, but what avenues do they have to actually get this info to an engineer much less a human?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd would think so yeah, but what avenues do they have to actually get this info to an engineer much less a human?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

True. I did now just figure out how to fix the voice though. I had been trying to access through the settings in Maps but it turns out you need to go to Accessibility--->Text to Speech in order to download the higher quality voice codec from the Samsung store. Once you do that the navigation voice sounds just like it did before the 4.3 update so there is that at least.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
As STSVA noted, the charging issue, and others as well, especially involving WiFi connectivity, has been widely reported on forums, and according to some Verizon reps a patch is in preparation by Samsung. I would not hold my breath, though.

bltserv

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the charger issue as well. I even tweeted Samsung USA Support. Looks like they want you to use their OEM chargers. 4.3 is looking for the later version HDMI Cable spec. Good news is it seems like if you plug the cable into the phone and reboot. Your good. Also finding that it works time to time if plug cable into phone first. Then go for DC car power. Works most of the time. AC not as often.

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, noticed if I plug my phone into the car charger before starting my car, my phone begins to charge. If I plug in after I start the car, I get nothing, other than colorful language spewing from my pie hole.