New Google Maps voice for navigation is awful

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experience this? The new voice is terrible. It sounds like a robot voice that would been used by AOL in 1995. What was wrong with the old voice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: New google maps voice for navigation is awful

You probably need to download the high quality voice if you haven't.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

You probably need to download the high quality voice if you haven't.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

How do you do that? I don't see that option.

Edit: Figured it out, it's under accessiblity--->text to voice in the setting menu.

Last edited:

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

How do you do that? I don't see that option.

Edit: Figured it out, it's under accessiblity--->text to voice in the setting menu.

I was wondering this as well. Thnx!

Posted on my Samsung GS4-i337

secano

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I was ready to launch my phone out the window because of this.

jefferyshall

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

The new voice sounds like the very first Apple Macintosh it is so bad. First of all why did it change I never did anything to change it. Second why is it soon bad anyway, I haven't heard a computer voice that bad since. . . well early 90s. What the heck happened over there Google?

jefferyshall

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Once again just to mention I never downloaded any voice before and it was great before. I just downloaded the new one as suggested here. It is better, but no where near as good as before. Damn it, why does everybody feel they HAVE TO mess with things when they are working and then break them! !!

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Settings....my device...language and input...text-to-speech options. There should be options for Google voice and Samsung. You can try them in that screen to compare them. I like Google better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

CanaRed

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree the Maps voice is about the WORST I have EVER heard on my new Galaxy S4 ! I emailed Google Maps and Samsung several times and got zero response and no suggestions from either. I saw the suggestion here to go to Accessibility--->text to voice in the setting menu download something from the APP store.
I went to this setting but see no option anywhere to download anything. I went directly to the APP store but did not know exactly what to search for. Can someone be more specific about how to do this? I would be soooo appreciative of any help ! Glad I stumbled upon this website.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree the Maps voice is about the WORST I have EVER heard on my new Galaxy S4 ! I emailed Google Maps and Samsung several times and got zero response and no suggestions from either. I saw the suggestion here to go to Accessibility--->text to voice in the setting menu download something from the APP store.
I went to this setting but see no option anywhere to download anything. I went directly to the APP store but did not know exactly what to search for. Can someone be more specific about how to do this? I would be soooo appreciative of any help ! Glad I stumbled upon this website.

Try going directly to the SAMSUNG app store as opposed to the Google Play store. Once you're in do a search for "English Female High Quality" and download it. It should prompt you to install it and you will be good to go.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
wow, I have to say that even the HD version from Samsung is still pretty bad... better than the default stock, but still pretty bad.

Brinyaby

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where to start about all this, but the voice was fine the way it was, then it turned to some really crappy, choppy voice that sounded like something out of the 80s. I managed to download the needed "update", but what a big PITA that was! First set up a Samsung account, wait for the email verification, make sure I'm on Wifi because it's a large download, then wait for the download to finish, then install the sticking thing. Did I say it was a PITA?!

atmosphere72

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a unique problem with my note 3 and google maps. I have downloaded Samsung high quality voice. This is my 4th phone by the way. It now switches from the Google robotic voice to the Samsung voice randomly. It's the craziest thing...

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
You are probably on the Samsung voice. Go into settings > language and input and you can change the dictation voice to Google's. They even have a high quality voice to download except I don't notice much of a difference. I'm using the high quality voice anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I heard the high quality American female voice on a friends phone and it is awesome, WAY better than the default American female, clear crisp and sexy even! But I've downloaded it twice on my Nexus 5, it's checked to enable, but it doesn't change from the old one.

I can make the British male and female work, but they are not better than the American one. Why can't I switch over to the American "hi quality" one? It still sounds the same.

There must be another setting or something... Google maps seems to have no "settings" that I can see...?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC