Galaxy S4: Short press on home button opens task manager

SueinAZ

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Short press on home button opens task manager

I've had this problem with two different S4s (I dropped my first one in late December and received a brand new phone through SquareTrade the next business day). When I got the new phone I was relieved the problem was gone but it just started up on the new phone yesterday afternoon. It's now happening nearly every time I click the Home button no matter how fast I try to click it. I've also noticed the long pause between the time I click the button and the task manager finally appears. Why this issue took 6 weeks to manifest on the new phone, I have no clue. I haven't installed anything new in the past few days so it shouldn't be a third party app that is causing the problem. I have a static wallpaper (it's a picture I took) and it happens even right after I clear the RAM. I just tried the developer fix above and so far, so good. I'll have to wait and see if it's a permanent fix and whether limiting the phone to 4 background processes causes any other issues.

charkzilla20

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

I have a Verizon S3, and I had this problem after the 4.3 update.
I managed to find a fix for it.
Boot into recovery mode and select Clear Cache Partition. And then boot normally. The problem is gone and it's running smoother, and no data or accounts or anything is lost

philly1518

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

I did this cache clear and it only worked for a short time before going back to this problem. Even if I close all the programs when the task manager appears, it still pops up even if I only have one app running.

bbond131

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I recently began using the Samsung Keyboard that comes on the phone again after using the downloaded Google keyboard. I noticed that when I switched back to the Samsung keyboard, is when I started having the home button issue. I switched back to the Google keyboard and haven't had the problem since.

lodihoseman

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I recently began using the Samsung Keyboard that comes on the phone again after using the downloaded Google keyboard. I noticed that when I switched back to the Samsung keyboard, is when I started having the home button issue. I switched back to the Google keyboard and haven't had the problem since.

Thank you for your insight. I just switched my default keyboard to Swype. It was previously Samsung's version of Swype. I then opened more than 20 different apps. No more of the above mentioned problem! I too began experiencing this issue after Verizon's forced update to 4.3, among others. Now it's just one more in a long list of frustrations with Verizon and Samsung. My next phone, I may go back to ios ...

motza

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Came to say that this appears to have worked for me too. Thanks!

Lynnmariep

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I am glad to know I'm not alone! Not only is a short press taking a long time and opening up task manager, but it does so even if I only have two apps open! Also, I've noticed that it takes forever for the phone to know when its been unplugged. It stays completely locked up until it wakes up. Even if I unlock it before I unplug it, it freezes for several minutes while it figures out it's been unplugged. Are these two issues related?

TheStand9

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
This problem is very annoying, I've searched high and low and the only fix I found was to install Wanam Xposed. It allows you to change the home button functionality. You can also disable the short cut to task manager. I did this and it cured the problem. The app is useful for other things too like disabling low battery warnings.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Christian Krantz

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I have deleted all my unused apps and deleted all of my texts (I I had ALOT) I restarted my phone and have yet to have this issue again. I will keep you guys posted!

tmac858

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So I think I figured this one out... I have been having the same problem since updating to Android 4.4.2.

On your phone, go to Settings > My Device > Accessibility > Press and hold delay.

Mine was set to Short (0.5 seconds) and I changed it to Long (1.5 seconds).

I had to reboot afterward because it appeared to run sluggish, but after the reboot it's working like before - single press of the Home Button returns me to the desktop and not the Application Manager. And I have 6 applications running without a problem.

UPDATE: This will affect the long-press hold when using a keyboard. I suggest reducing the above setting to Medium (1.0 second), otherwise you speedy typists out there will get very frustrated when needing that alternate key.

Last edited:

Ruben Peralba

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi, so did anyone with this problem tried to do a Factory reset and a full wipe to mobile? I did have this problem with the home button and the notification bar button(didnt display all options), after doing a Farctory reset and wipe, Its working...

Try it, but save all first.

Vortex1965

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Solved I hope!... Simply re enable s voice double press. It takes a fraction longer to go to the home screen, but at least it doesn't open the task manager. Good luck!

Shahram Banihashem

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Turning off "Open via the home key" on S Voice and turning that back on and then a restart fixed the issue for me. To do so:

1. Open SVoice
  2. Tap the menu button (left of center) and select settings.
  3. Un-check the "Open via the home key" and then re-check it, or if it is already un-checked, do the on, then off again and exit
  4. Reboot the phone

Good Luck!