An SMS message arrived containing a URL (the location of my dog's tracker). I clicked on "Open URL" (or somehing like that) and I chose the Chrome Browser, and "Always".

Now, I'd like to revert to "Always Ask", and I'll click "Just Once", because I want to use Google Maps on some URL's (Rosie's tracker, for example)

I vaguely recall the popup box that tells you how to undo the "Always", but I've never been able to follow the instructions, because I always got the feeling that I was going to reset EVERY app on my phone back to the default settings. So I never had the courage to go any further.

Now, when I need to go a bit further, I'm plagued with confusion. If I do manage to reset one app, which one should I be resetting? It seems to be the "Messaging" one, but I suppose it might be the Google Chrome one (one of its associations).
    11-25-2013 06:58 AM
    Settings--->Apps-->Reset App Preferences
    fuejidk likes this.
    11-25-2013 07:11 AM
    I still had to choose which App to reset... so I started with Messaging, since that was the App I was in at the point when I pressed "Always". It made no difference. So then I reset Chrome, and that got rid of the "Always".
    11-25-2013 07:51 AM
    I still had to choose which App to reset... so I started with Messaging, since that was the App I was in at the point when I pressed "Always". It made no difference. So then I reset Chrome, and that got rid of the "Always".
    That is correct. FYI -- Before you had chosen to always open map links in Chrome (I'm assuming it was a map link). You are selecting a behavior for the type of link/file you are opening, not the behavior the app you opened it from.

For example, if someone texts you a URL for a YouTube video, it will ask you what you want to use to open (Browser, YouTube app, etc). Assuming you choose "always" That behavior is applied to ALL YouTube links, regardless of whether you click on them from an SMS text, email, twitter feed, or anywhere else. If you want to change that, then you need to clear the setting from the YouTube app.
    11-25-2013 09:11 AM
    If you want to have a list of all those apps and have an easy time resetting all of them, then you could get 1Tap Cleaner and look under the icon there called "Default Cleaner".

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    11-25-2013 05:40 PM
    For example, if someone texts you a URL for a YouTube video, it will ask you what you want to use to open (Browser, YouTube app, etc). Assuming you choose "always" That behavior is applied to ALL YouTube links, regardless of whether you click on them from an SMS text, email, twitter feed, or anywhere else.
    Wow! This is splendiferous! Thank you!

My link was: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...049907&SP:0.00 so, had I selected the Google Maps app, and clicked "Every", then presumably Google Maps would handle all URL's to maps.google.com
    11-26-2013 03:00 AM
    If you want to have a list of all those apps and have an easy time resetting all of them, then you could get 1Tap Cleaner and look under the icon there called "Default Cleaner".
    I'll take a look at that, thanks. I'm rather wary of anything labelled "Cleaner" as such programs used to be the right royal road to screwing up your old Windows XP system...
    11-26-2013 03:02 AM
    ... icon there called "Default Cleaner"...
    I've just realised that "Default Cleaner" is ambiguous; it could mean:
    1. The Cleaner which runs by default
    2. The Cleaner of Default settings

I suspect that it means #2 above. I'm happy with that.
    11-26-2013 03:57 AM
    Wow! This is splendiferous! Thank you!

My link was: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...049907&SP:0.00 so, had I selected the Google Maps app, and clicked "Every", then presumably Google Maps would handle all URL's to maps.google.com
    Exactly.
    11-26-2013 08:53 AM
    Exactly.
    So, I went back to the SMS containing the link, tapped it, tapped "Open Link", selected "Google Maps" and tapped "Use every time".

Bliss. Can't remember ever having been this happy (with my clothes on).
    11-26-2013 10:49 AM
    Thx man
    09-02-2017 06:49 PM