Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5s: Help me decide!

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody!

I'm due for an upgrade on the Verizon network in January. I have multiple questions that I feel still need answering. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

Questions:
1. Which do you think is a faster phone? iPhone 5S or GS4? I'm all about speed and being able to get things done quick.
2. Could you possible dual-boot on the GS4? I love iOS 7 but would love to switch to Android when I want for the customization.
3. Does the GS4 have good Otterbox case colors?
4. Does the GS4 have good cases in general?
5. Does the GS4 bog down from having too many apps opened in the background? I don't have this problem with my iPhone.
6. Can I use my Macbook Air to update the GS4 with music from iTunes?
7. What is the multitasking like on the GS4? I heard you can run 2 apps on the same screen. True or False?

If somebody could help me with answering these questions, it might help me decided better on which phone I would proceed in getting.

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help me decide! GS4 or 5S?

Hi everybody!

I'm due for an upgrade on the Verizon network in January. I have multiple questions that I feel still need answering. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

Questions:
1. Which do you think is a faster phone? iPhone 5S or GS4? I'm all about speed and being able to get things done quick.
2. Could you possible dual-boot on the GS4? I love iOS 7 but would love to switch to Android when I want for the customization.
5. Does the GS4 bog down from having too many apps opened in the background? I don't have this problem with my iPhone.
7. What is the multitasking like on the GS4? I heard you can run 2 apps on the same screen. True or False?

If somebody could help me with answering these questions, it might help me decided better on which phone I would proceed in getting.

Welcome to Android Central :)
1. 5S
2. I think there was a project by Modaco that allowed you to switch between ROMs but I believe it was for the International S4
3. Yup
4. Yup :)
5. It's faster than the iPhone 4 for sure
6. I don't think it works with iTunes
7. Better than on iPhone and yes you can but only with certain apps

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central :)
1. 5S
2. I think there was a project by Modaco that allowed you to switch between ROMs but I believe it was for the International S4
3. Yup
4. Yup :)
5. It's faster than the iPhone 4 for sure
6. I don't think it works with iTunes
7. Better than on iPhone and yes you can but only with certain apps

Do you think the the Modaco would work on a US version?

Also, are there any YouTube vids showing the dual multitasking screen experience?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Do you think the the Modaco would work on a US version?

Also, are there any YouTube vids showing the dual multitasking screen experience?
I'm not sure how much they kept working on it but last time I saw it, it was still in Beta for the Int'l version. Probably not available to US and you'd have to pay for it even if it was.
There's a ton. Here's one :)
Multi-window on the Samsung Galaxy S4 - YouTube

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

#6 - when I had my GS4 I used doubletwist to sync with Itunes and thought it worked very well.
#7 - multi-tasking can be much better on the GS4 (and Android in general) as Apple still has significant restrictions on what can really multi-task

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

If I got this phone, I would probably multitask text messaging and Facebook at the same time. Is that possible?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

If I got this phone, I would probably multitask text messaging and Facebook at the same time. Is that possible?
I have a custom ROM on my S4 so I can't check right now but I'm 99% sure FB is supported so yes :)
If not there are TouchWiz based ROMs that allow you to use any app in Multi-Window. Once used the camera app to record something while I played Asphalt 8 :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Is the face recognition unlock decent?
It works most of the time but it isn't as effective as TouchID and for some reason every time I used it, my brightness would go up to 100% :mad:
PIN is good enough for me

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Hey as for your mac connection question: consider AirDroid. Seamless integration, transfer files back and forth, no problem. This will not sync your files, though, you can transfer iTunes, etc. Works great between my macbook pro and S4.
Finally, as for multi tasking / multifunction, yes the S4 can do this, and as has been suggested, only a few apps have this ability
"built in"; though if you long press on the home button you are able to toggle back and forth between opened apps. Works fine for me! Your mileage may vary! ;-) Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi everybody!

Questions:

In side-by-side comparisons I've seen on YouTube, it was close to a draw, though the 5s edged out the S4 in some functions.

There are apps that will give you an iOS 7 theme, however, there is no actual dual boot to iOS.

Yes. My daughter's is hot pink, and she had lots of colors to choose from.

Since it is a popular device, the selection is quite diverse.

Not from what I've seen on my daughter's S4, but I'm sure "too many" might cause a bit of lag. If you're used to the iPhone 4, either phone is like butter.

Not that I'm aware of unless there is is an app I'm not privy to.

True.

See my answers in line above.

My daughter had the choice of a 5S and an S4. She originally got the iPhone because all teh kewlkids had one. She realized after seeing the capabilities of my S3 that she had an inferior product. She tried both phones out extensively and realized that the personalization the S4 was capable of far outweighed the need for Facetime.

Don't get me wrong. Both phones are great flagships. If you like the simplicity of the iPhone, stick with it. If you are looking for something that has a bigger display, more free apps that you can personalize, the S4 is your phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Have you considered any other phones or are these the two you are 100% sure of? The Nexus 5 would be a good option and it's a lot cheaper. If you want something small so that the change in size isn't too drastic the Moto X is also a really good phone

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Have you considered any other phones or are these the two you are 100% sure of? The Nexus 5 would be a good option and it's a lot cheaper. If you want something small so that the change in size isn't too drastic the Moto X is also a really good phone

Nexus 5 would require a carrier swap though....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 would require a carrier swap though....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

True. Forgot about that :D
There's still the Moto X. Probably the iPhone of the Android world if you're interested in that, only you get the customizability and features of Android :)

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

1. The 5S is theoretically faster, but whether or not you'll notice depends on what you do with your phone. My guess is you'd need to have them side by side to see any difference with most normal stuff people use smart phones for (texting, social media, small games, etc.)
5. The only time I've seen my S4 slow down at all is if it's installing updates to apps while I'm trying to do something. Just opening apps in the background doesn't slow things down.
6. I use iSyncr to sync my S4 with iTunes. It does it automatically over WiFi.

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

In side-by-side comparisons I've seen on YouTube, it was close to a draw, though the 5s edged out the S4 in some functions.

What were the slight differences? This isn't a make or break, just something to consider.

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I've considered other smartphone devices. I've had 2 Motorola brand phones in the past that ended up bogging down to the point where I would have rather used my old Blackberry Pearl. So the Moto X is out of the choice. However, the Nexus 5 I haven't looked at. I will take a look though!:)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Anybody know of any phones that are coming out around January and February time?

No news so far but the HTC One Two will probably be out around March. GS5 around April
Also, the Moto X is different than any of the older Moto phones. Got the Kit Kat update OTA faster than the Nexus 4. Nexus 5 isnt on Verizon so unless you switch carriers its not an option :(