Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5s: Help me decide!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help me decide! GS4 or 5S?

Any idea if it's worth waiting for the GS5?

Just rumors at this point and not many of them. If you don't mind using your iPhone 4 for a couple more months then go for it. Kind of late to get the GS4 IMO even though it's a really good phone

Posted via Android Central App

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Get the S4 Plus (I9506) Blazing fast and fluid throughout the whole UI :)

Benchmarks :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1386025530961.jpg
    1386025530961.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 48

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Get the S4 Plus (I9506) Blazing fast and fluid throughout the whole UI :)

Benchmarks :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using AC Forums mobile app

LTE-A version? Not available in the U.S.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

In this specific case I'd recommend the 5s over the S4 by a long ways. If you're in the Apple ecosystem already, then it sounds like the one feature you want is having two apps on the screen at once and are considering making quite a few (too many?) compromises to try it out. At this point, I don't think Samsung has something that is going to exceed your expectations and/or add enough value to be worth the trade-off from a system that's already working well for you. I don't recommend iOS to many people, but for some individual cases, it's clearly the better option, in my opinion.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

One thing I would suggest is get S4, and test it for 2 weeks and see if it will be a daily driver. If you don't like it, you have 14 days to return the device. If you use your upgrade, you will get your upgrade back when you do return the device. You could then get the iPhone 5S or just use your current device and wait for the Galaxy S5, since you mentioned you have an upgrade due in January? Since you are coming from a 4, 5S or the S4 will still be a significant upgrade for you.

You may want to question yourself whether or not it's worth it because if you do make a switch to an android device, you would have to purchase all the apps again (unless all you have is all free then it shouldn't really matter). That's one thing I had a tough time deciding but because I still have my iPad Mini, I still have my apps that I can still use on my ipad therefore I don't lose the Apple ecosystem that I like.

As for music, best buy mobile recommended me Double Twist so I'd check that out. I use my iphone 4S as my music player so I don't have any music on my S4.

I went from iPhone 4S to the Samsung S4. Got mine at Best Buy Mobile store. Originally the plan was to use the S4 for two weeks, and if I didn't like it I could return the device and get my money back along with my upgrade back. After testing the device for 2 weeks, I have no regrets and have decided that the S4 was for me, also it made my 4S screen so small and I'm no longer used to holding a small device. S4 has won me over and there's no going back to a small tiny device. Even the 5S is so small compared to my S4. I managed to hold a 5 from a friend and man it was tiny.

Last edited:

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

One thing I would suggest is get S4, and test it for 2 weeks and see if it will be a daily driver. If you don't like it, you have 14 days to return the device. If you use your upgrade, you will get your upgrade back when you do return the device. You could then get the iPhone 5S or just use your current device and wait for the Galaxy S5, since you mentioned you have an upgrade due in January? Since you are coming from a 4, 5S or the S4 will still be a significant upgrade for you.

You may want to question yourself whether or not it's worth it because if you do make a switch to an android device, you would have to purchase all the apps again (unless all you have is all free then it shouldn't really matter). That's one thing I had a tough time deciding but because I still have my iPad Mini, I still have my apps that I can still use on my ipad therefore I don't lose the Apple ecosystem that I like.

As for music, best buy mobile recommended me Double Twist so I'd check that out. I use my iphone 4S as my music player so I don't have any music on my S4.

I went from iPhone 4S to the Samsung S4. Got mine at Best Buy Mobile store. Originally the plan was to use the S4 for two weeks, and if I didn't like it I could return the device and get my money back along with my upgrade back. After testing the device for 2 weeks, I have no regrets and have decided that the S4 was for me, also it made my 4S screen so small and I'm no longer used to holding a small device. S4 has won me over and there's no going back to a small tiny device. Even the 5S is so small compared to my S4. I managed to hold a 5 from a friend and man it was tiny.

I was planning on doing the 13 day "trial" period. I also like your idea of having an iPad/iPhone to keep the apps you enjoy having. If I do end up liking the S4 when I upgrade, then I would probably invest in an iPod Touch for music purposes and to keep my iOS environment.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I was planning on doing the 13 day "trial" period. I also like your idea of having an iPad/iPhone to keep the apps you enjoy having. If I do end up liking the S4 when I upgrade, then I would probably invest in an iPod Touch for music purposes and to keep my iOS environment.

Just wondering since I've never been on contract. Do you give them your current phone? Like a trade-in? Or do you get to keep it?

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Just wondering since I've never been on contract. Do you give them your current phone? Like a trade-in? Or do you get to keep it?

Just depends on if you want a credit towards your phone or not. You don't have to turn it in. The phone is yours it's not like renting it or anything on contracts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Just depends on if you want a credit towards your phone or not. You don't have to turn it in. The phone is yours it's not like renting it or anything on contracts.

Then couldn't she use her phone as an iPod. Doesn't need to go out and buy an iPod Touch unless she really wanted one

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Then couldn't she use her phone as an iPod. Doesn't need to go out and buy an iPod Touch unless she really wanted one

I would think so is she wanted to. Makes more sense than buying a iPod too.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Can I get this at Verizon Wireless?

I believe that the S4 (I9506) is only sold to South Korean users and some select Europe Carriers. I'm not sure if this model will ever make it to the U.S grounds, even if it does, it's likely then the S5 comes out.

But even if you were able to get a hands on one of these, you probably would have to purchase this through a website, plus I'm not sure if this model would work on Verizon as it is a GSM model, not a CDMA.

cachun402

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

I have a macbook and a gs4 I just take out my sd card and put my music from itunes on the sd card

icon moto

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Galaxy S4 is better all around in my eyes. Switched from iphone and extremely happy with the decision.

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi everybody!

I'm due for an upgrade on the Verizon network in January. I have multiple questions that I feel still need answering. I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

Questions:
1. Which do you think is a faster phone? iPhone 5S or GS4? I'm all about speed and being able to get things done quick.
2. Could you possible dual-boot on the GS4? I love iOS 7 but would love to switch to Android when I want for the customization.
3. Does the GS4 have good Otterbox case colors?
4. Does the GS4 have good cases in general?
5. Does the GS4 bog down from having too many apps opened in the background? I don't have this problem with my iPhone.
6. Can I use my Macbook Air to update the GS4 with music from iTunes?
7. What is the multitasking like on the GS4? I heard you can run 2 apps on the same screen. True or False?

If somebody could help me with answering these questions, it might help me decided better on which phone I would proceed in getting.

Thanks everybody for all your help!

The S5 is just slightly faster. It has a 64-bit but there really isn't a need for one now because there isn't anything designed for a 64-bit processor right now. I also came from an iPhone. There's a variety of cases to choose from. The GS4 multi-tasks like a boss. Yes you can have 2 apps open at the same time on the screen. For your music get an SD card and put it into your computer put your music on in then put it into the phone. If you have an upgrade in January the S5 is supposed to come out at the beginning of 2014. Will probably be worth checking out.