Fell out of a semi with my phone in the back pocket of my jeans. The "glass" is not cracked but there are cracks underneath it. Nothing will show up (cannot view anything, make calls, etc) but it still blinks green and blue and vibrates fine. What is broken? I've heard conflicting stories of a "digitizer" or the "LCD"?

Please help this female trucker get her phone fixed. Thank you in advance.

Tina
    12-03-2013 11:47 PM
    Sorry to hear that. The digitizer is what converts your finger input into a signal the phone recognizes, so if THAT was broken, you'd see an image on the phone but wouldn't be able to interact with it. Since you say you see cracks underneath the glass but not on the top cover itself (yeii, Gorilla glass!!), then I'd say it's definitely the AMOLED display (Not LCD, remember the S4 uses a different technology). In that case, you need to change the AMOLED screen and, unfortunately, it ain't cheap.

But just for fun, try this. Remove the battery from your device. Put it back in. Now press POWER, the HOME button, and VOLUME UP button at the same time and hold. Does the screen show anything after about 10 seconds? This key combo lets the phone enter "Recovery Mode", so the Android OS is not really kicking in. If the screen comes to life in this mode, it means your screen is alive but the software, after it boots, is not recognizing. If it comes alive, doing a factory reset (which you can do from Recovery Mode) should fix it. If it doesn't show anything, then yeah, your screen is dead.

In any case, since you say you see cracks all over, I'd still get the screen replaced anyway.
    12-04-2013 12:11 AM
    LCD is cracked. sucks, I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. Samsung definitely has some QA issues with the LCD, if you look on xda there's a 100+ page thread about it
    12-04-2013 07:30 AM
    AMOLED.... NOT LCD. Two different things. Just sayin'. :P
    12-04-2013 08:13 PM
    Is the AMOLED display on the GSM S4 the same as the CDMA version?
    12-06-2013 01:23 AM
    Is the AMOLED display on the GSM S4 the same as the CDMA version?
    Yes

Posted via Android Central App
    12-06-2013 01:27 AM