SD Card Unexpectedly Removed - error message

Victor151

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I started a fresh thread on this topic after updating my Galaxy S4 to OS 4.3. I am still have trouble using the SD card and am constantly getting "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" messages. This happens when I am viewing photos located on the SD card. The phone then automatically tries to reinstall the SD card and, after few minutes, starts working again. Rinse, repeat. I really hoped that the OS update would fix this, since in seems like a software issue related to the SD card driver. I have a 64 GB, class 10 SD card that otherwise works perfectly in my computer. I have read through the entire 10 pages of the earlier posting on this topic and thought it was time to start a new one. Maybe put some more pressure on Samsung to fix this glitch. After all, the extended memory is one of the main reasons I bought this phone. And it really doesn't work. It's also the only problem I am having with the phone, which has otherwise been great.

Samsung tech support told me that slower class 4 and 6 cards should work okay, but I haven't been able to verify this. Anybody finding a solution to this problem?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung tech support told me that slower class 4 and 6 cards should work okay, but I haven't been able to verify this. Anybody finding a solution to this problem?
I've seen countless threads on this issue with Samsung phones, especially the S4. At first, thought it was isolated to Sandisk Ultra cards but doesn't seem to be. I will say that I've used Sandisk Extreme cards in the S4 and Note 3 without having any issues so you may want to give one of them a whirl.

Fengshuistein

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, mine also did the whole "unmounting / mounting" thing from the get-go (Verizon S4, purchased in May, with a Sandisk Ultra 64GB class 10 SD card), but got a lot worse after the 4.3 update. It would sometimes unmount itself 30-40 times over the course of an hour. Sandisk was gracious enough to replace the card under their warranty, but while I was awaiting the new SD card, my phone was SD-Free, and I gotta say, it has never behaved better - all the funky jitters / stutters / oddball stuff didn't happen. I've had the new card for several weeks, but I haven't even opened it yet, LOL. I'm a little hesitant to put another one back into the phone...

-Phil

Kat319

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, mine also did the whole "unmounting / mounting" thing from the get-go (Verizon S4, purchased in May, with a Sandisk Ultra 64GB class 10 SD card), but got a lot worse after the 4.3 update. It would sometimes unmount itself 30-40 times over the course of an hour. Sandisk was gracious enough to replace the card under their warranty, but while I was awaiting the new SD card, my phone was SD-Free, and I gotta say, it has never behaved better - all the funky jitters / stutters / oddball stuff didn't happen. I've had the new card for several weeks, but I haven't even opened it yet, LOL. I'm a little hesitant to put another one back into the phone...

-Phil

Kat319

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I am in total frustration. I have had same issue from get go with my S4. Been through countless re sets. Issued refurbished phone to try...same issue with those... had numerous Verizon techs tell me they have never hear of this issue and make me feel like some crazy lazy who like to call and play play with resetting my phone for hours on end. I too have exchanged my SD card with Sandisk. ( only an 16 gb so it's not limited to the high gbs like they say) I have been told to put a piece of heavy paper in with SD card slot to tighten the card hold. NOTHING WORKS. Finally a Verizon tech call Samsung and said they told him with their next software update it would fix. Well did the update and guess what...it still does it. I'm so ticked at Verizon for making this such a headache. It has to be a bad batch of phone because I can't believe every person who owns a s4 isn't having this issue. But because I waited a couple weeks after purchase to install an SD card and didn't know of this I was outside the one month limit for a new phone and only get refurbished ones which, of course, have been returned probably for the same reason!
I take counless pictures and really need the extra storage. I even tried to upgrade to the 32 gb phone so I wouldn't need the card and they would not help. Now I'm stuck with this for 2 years unless there is finally a fix.

Last edited:

Kat319

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I also had my card removed for a time and phone worked like a charm. Put back it and issues came back. So I'm in the same boat Phil. Hate to put the card back but hate to be without. Thinking of just saving to device and installing card once in a while to do a copy then removing it. It's a load of Crap to have to do with this phone of this caliber. It's top notch in all other respects and takes great pic's. I wish Samsung would come out of denial and just get it fixed.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Have either of you tried your cards via card readers? Are you having the same results as when using the uSD card slot?

Optimus G Pro

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, the SD Gods must be shining on me.. On my S4, I had one of the FAKE 64gb, that was only 4gb, but it worked.. When I returned the S4, and got a Note 3, I got two Sanddisk Ultra 64gb.. I put one in my Note 3, and proceeded to load 13gb of movies, music and pictures. The card or the phone hasn't even blinked.. The only thing I did was when I first put the card in the Note3, I told the Note3 to format the card. Been working like a charm.

On my wife's S4, she has PNY or PNC 16gb, and the other day she had the problem of saying the card was unreadable. Put it an card reader, tried to access, no dice.. Finally, I pulled a 20 or more year old command and that fixed it. Using Win 7, went to a DOS prompt, the card was listed as "I" drive, I typed in chkdsk I: Whammo, card readalbe, got the files off, card okay.

My Ultra 64gb in my Note 3 has been flawless..

Victor151

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I tried many of the suggestions in earlier postings. I had the phone re-format the SD card and then reloaded photos and music. Seemed to help for a bit, but didn't solve the problem. My 64gb, class 10 Sandisk ULtra SD card works just fine in a card reader on my computer. I have to conclude that this is not a card problem.

Ali Najaf

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Bump

I have the issue with my note 3

I have a 32gb

Any fix?

Also every time I would lock then unlock my phone ... I would take 3 seconds for the lock screen to pop up and when it did I would see the message "sd card unexpectedly removed" 90% of the time

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Bump

I have the issue with my note 3

I have a 32gb

Any fix?

Also every time I would lock then unlock my phone ... I would take 3 seconds for the lock screen to pop up and when it did I would see the message "sd card unexpectedly removed" 90% of the time
The fix for me was the Sandisk Extreme 64GB. The issues stopprd completely once I started using it. YMMV.

JBizz86

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Had this problem it went away with a new card tell 4.3 update. I left it in during update. Now the sd card has disappeared completely. I can't evwn put in an older card. Its odd.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Kat319

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Any further progress?
For me it almost seems to be getting worse. I have my SD card in the phone but do not save to it automatically. I manually will copy to it. But I noticed recently when I went into by Gallery to view pictures on the phone, I am now getting the error that the SD card has been removed. It's crazy. Not even accessing it and it's affecting the device. I guess at this point i just give up and remove the card for fear of some sort of blip that may affect the files.

Yabedude

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had this S4 for a month and bought a Lexar 600x 64gb 2 days after. I've lost all contents from the card twice already after seeing that error message. It's extremely frustrating.

It won't mount without reformatting. Given it works fine and randomly fails, I would suggest that it's a software issue and not a hardware issue. Samsung drivers and failing or rather corrupting the FAT and causing content to appear to have been lost. Too bad there isn't an app to recover from this because it's just maddening.

Posted via Android Central App

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Note 3 on t-Mobile with a samsung 64gig high speed card.

When I initially installed the card it would unmount itself constantly.... now I am getting a consistent error that the card has files that are unsupported and wants to reformat!!!!

ARRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

d_jimenez53

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I removed a Dane-Elec 16 micro SD card without unmounting it from my Galaxy S# / Android 4.3.
When I connect it to my laptop, the files cannot be found and I get a message to format the disk for use.
Is there anything I can do to recover the files?

sad cricket

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it is a hit or miss when it comes to Sandisk. Initially I had a 32g micro SD card that was a class 10 and from day 1 I would get the mounting error. I even formatted the disc correctly. Then I bought the same card but a Samsung 64g micro SD and never had a problem with it while running 4.2.2 or 4.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar