S4 dipped in liquid, now dies at night

amheck

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So we were out Saturday coming home in the car, and I go to put my phone down in the drink holder. Which unfortunately, held a cup fill of liquid. I think it probably make it 1/3 - 1/2 way down before I realized and pulled it back out. I shut it off immediately. The next day everything seemed appeared to be normal, except the micro-usb port wouldn't charge the phone. So I figured I had the rest of my battery before I lost this thing. Well, later that nite, it started charging.

So the phone seems to appear normal over the last couple days - everything works, except for the phone, when left off the charger, has been dead the next morning when I wake up. I can't say this has ever happened before, so I'm guessing its related to the battery and the water. But again, I use the phone during the day and it stays in the green for the most part. I'm not a heavy user, so at nite I'm usually at 50% or so. Usually I might expect it to be in the yellow the next morning.

Is my best bet either to just charge it every nite or buy a new battery? Just a little odd - I'd expect it to drain fast during the day, but I'm not noticing that.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If it was placed into liquid and water got into the USB port and most likely the mic hole too, then there is really no telling what damage could of occurred inside. Usual rule of thumb is shutting down immediately and throwing it in a bag of rice for a few days to let it pull the moisture out but that is no promise things will be fine.

Water/Liquid damage to phones is its worst enemy aside from cracks/smashed/dropped displays... Those can at least be fixed, water damage however usually results in motherboard or some other component damage.

amheck

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I debated even posting. I guess any weirdness is to be expected from the water. I suppose I should just be thankful that is works normally. If the worst that happens from this is that it dies at night, I guess I'll take that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle