Hi all

I have a Galaxy S4 and a Note 10.1 '14 Ed. Something quirky I have noticed is the S4 charger will only charge the S4 and the Note 10.1 charger will charge both. Both charges have the same inputs and outputs. I suspect that there will be different resistance on pins 2 and 3 (data pins) but thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows the answer before investigating any further.

Cheers

Shaun

Posted via Android Central App
    12-18-2013 05:13 AM
    Yes the Tablet requires a little more power to charge. And the phone will shut off the charger port if too much power comes in. Using the tab charger could mess up your batter and or phone.
    12-18-2013 05:28 AM
    And the phone will shut off the charger port if too much power comes in. Using the tab charger could mess up your batter and or phone.
    Err, no. The charger circuit is in the phone--the wall module is just a simple power supply. It doesn't PUSH anything. The charger circuit PULLS the current it needs if any. As long as the voltage and pin out is correct you could plug in any size power supply even a 100amp hobby unit without damaging the phone or battery.

Anything that charges via a USB port has the charging circuit in the device because you can plug it into *any* USB port--you couldn't expect the port to figure out what kind of charge the device needed. It's just pure current either low or high power/trickle or fast charging depending on the port and/or whether the data pins are shorted/resistored.
    12-18-2013 10:38 AM
    Err, no. The charger circuit is in the phone--the wall module is just a simple power supply. It doesn't PUSH anything. The charger circuit PULLS the current it needs if any. As long as the voltage and pin out is correct you could plug in any size power supply even a 100amp hobby unit without damaging the phone or battery.

Anything that charges via a USB port has the charging circuit in the device because you can plug it into *any* USB port--you couldn't expect the port to figure out what kind of charge the device needed. It's just pure current either low or high power/trickle or fast charging depending on the port and/or whether the data pins are shorted/resistored.
    Err so i could wire up my charger for my drill up to my phone to charge it?
    12-19-2013 09:50 PM
    Err so i could wire up my charger for my drill up to my phone to charge it?
    As long as your drill used 5 volts charger, and offers at least 1Ah and you make sure to connect the red wire with the red an the black with the black... Yes it will work.
    12-22-2013 04:48 AM