Notifications(Facebook/Messenger) won't work whilst on data

ecuthbertson

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
When I'm off wifi and use data, I don't receive facebook/messenger notifications, but as soon as I'm on wifi, I get bombarded with notifications, of messages I've already replied to. I've had the phone since June 2013, and I can't remember if it did this when I first got it as well, it's just getting very annoying to have to check every couple of minutes to see if someones replied to me.

ecuthbertson

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I haven't limited data on those apps, sorry to sound stupid or anything, but what does the sync do, I did have it turned off because I dont want facebook contacts and photos put onto my phone

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. And you don't sound stupid, don't worry! So, there are two sync sections for Facebook, one in your Facebook Account Settings, which lets you sync calendar, photos, and contacts and since you don't want these, you should have those turned off. However, there's an Android Master Sync Switch, and this basically lets you get push notifications and sync data for apps (if you turned, say, calendar sync for Facebook off in Facebook's own settings, then you're still not syncing the app no matter what's the state of this switch, but if you chose to sync something and this master switch is off, then nothing is getting synced). But if this switch was off, then you wouldn't, in theory, get the messages on mobile data or WiFi.

Now, there MIGHT be a problem with your carrier. I know it's a long shot, but I've had issues with push notifications while on certain WiFi networks due to firewalls and proxies (for instance, I can't get push notifications for my e-mail while at the office's WiFi but as soon as I connect to mobile data or another less-restricted WiFi network, all notifications come pouring through. Sounds like what you're experiencing, but in my case, I know it's a router/firewall issue.

ecuthbertson

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
sorry for the late reply also. Not very tech savvy( stupid i know, getting a samsung haha), how would I go about doing the Android Master Sync Switch?
If all else fails I'll call my carrier and ask them, I would just prefer no hassle

abood sk

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Notifications

hello ... i have a problem on my s6 edge plus

i cant get a notifications wile am using the mobile dada connection ... its really annoying to check the mobile apps every 2 mints if someone send you something like an email , message or even a missed call

can you plz help me to fix this ASAP

thnx ...

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
very easy to fix, it's a problem from mobile network data
go to settings, Mobile Networks and to Acces Point Names, there check your setttings, usualy it seems some phone are on WAP not on internet settings(the phone doesn't auto-configure from the provider corectly).
After that i will work flawlessly

5ummerBreeze

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I factory reset my phone and had the same problem.

I'm on a Galaxy S7

The fix I found was to go into Settings > Apps > Messenger > Mobile Data. "Allow Background data usage" was already turned on. I turned it off, and back on again. Instantly I started receiving notifications again.

Hopefully this helps someone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20