Galaxy S4: My camera won't turn vertically!

dfogel72

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
My S4 camera was working fine, picture quality isn't the greatest but I really don't know much about the settings so I'm sure that can be fixed. I very rarely use the camera in landscape or horizontally,
(I personally like having full screen pictures) but if need be, I could turn my phone and the camera would auto rotate (I have never had my phone itself set to auto rotate). Now, out of nowhere, my camera is stuck in landscape mode and all my pics and videos are sideways! I have to manually rotate all pics and my videos won't even rotate at all! Can anyone help me get my camera back?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: My camera won't turn vertically!

Are you sure you don't have the phone's orientation lock on? You said yourself that you don't have auto-rotate on...

dfogel72

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry, I'm new to this.. What do you mean the orientation? I didn't change anything in the settings at all. I never had auto rotate on but the camera itself always rotated when I turned it sideways to fit more in the shot. But the last time I used it that way, it stayed that way. It go back to vertical.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry, I'm new to this.. What do you mean the orientation? I didn't change anything in the settings at all. I never had auto rotate on but the camera itself always rotated when I turned it sideways to fit more in the shot. But the last time I used it that way, it stayed that way. It go back to vertical.

In the notification shade, or when you pull down from the top, there is a row of icons. Slide it to the left until you get to orientation lock and turn it off. Then go into your camera and try it out

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

There isn't anything there that says orientation lock.

Your looking for an icon that looks like a padlock with two little arrows on it....

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

dfogel72

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh OK.. I never used the screen rotation icon but the camera always rotated when I turned my phone anyway. Now, it just won't rotate back

dmj66

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue; each time I take a photo with my Samsung S4 phone camera, the end product is a horizontal image. I want to be able to take vertical photos. Whenever I turn the phone itself to vertical, and take what appears in the camera lens to be a vertical photo, it still ends up taking a horizontal photo. When I take just one, I can rotate the image, then save and send on email, it is not such a big deal. But taking several images, all shot in vertical position, and then having them all taken as horizontal, is a big pain. Changing the Auto-rotate function in settings makes no difference whatsoever to the camera rotation. Is there an app available to overcome this please?

Rebecca Houk

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
This happened with my Note 3 and the only way I could fix it was to take out the battery, wait for the phone to cool down (it always seems to be very warm) then I reinserted the battery and turned it back on. Now the pictures are the way they should be and the camera is no longer stuck on landscape. I hope this works for you too.

Vealperm

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I have this same issue too, albeit my issue seems to be an overall phone rotation problem. When I first got the s4 it worked right... But a couple weeks ago I noticed the pictures in landscape even when taken vertical. The buttons on the screen do not rotate when turned.

In addition Web pages, videos emails, text messages and so on do not rotate. The only phone rotation I get is if I open YouTube, full-screen video, and rotate then it works. Other than that it, nothing.

I've been on the forums, tried all listed above, searched the darkest corners of the interwebs with no joy (or people not posting once their problem is fixed)

dfogel72 do you also exhibit these malfunctions?

Have you resolved your concern?

I really dont want to send my phone back.

AtYourServiceLS

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have this same issue too, albeit my issue seems to be an overall phone rotation problem. When I first got the s4 it worked right... But a couple weeks ago I noticed the pictures in landscape even when taken vertical. The buttons on the screen do not rotate when turned.

In addition Web pages, videos emails, text messages and so on do not rotate. The only phone rotation I get is if I open YouTube, full-screen video, and rotate then it works. Other than that it, nothing.

I've been on the forums, tried all listed above, searched the darkest corners of the interwebs with no joy (or people not posting once their problem is fixed)

dfogel72 do you also exhibit these malfunctions?

Have you resolved your concern?

I really dont want to send my phone back.

Hi

I've started to have the same problem, and the solution I found that actually worked was to use picmonkey. It's really easy to use with no registrations etc. needed. (This is assuming your pictures are uploaded to your PC/laptop).

Go to Photo editor | PicMonkey: Free Online Photo Editing. Select Edit and browse to your picture. In the 'Basic Edits' there's a function called 'Rotate.' Rotate it in the direction you want it, click Apply, then save it as the same file name, or as a new picture to your PC.

Corrie Bennett

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I cleaned the cache of the camera by going to setting - application manager - swipe over to all apps - camera - clean cache and rebooted the phone and it was fine. I had this problem on Samsung galaxy s5

enforce984

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Im having the same issues with nothing auto rotating, in camera mode and texting too, the keyboard used to go horizontal, now nothing.... Won’t clearing the cache in camera app erase your pictures???

Won’t clearing the cache erase pictures???

Last edited by a moderator:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
no, clearing CACHE will not erase the pictures. It will possibly erase the THUMBNAIL pictures (the small preview pictures you see in the Gallery app) but those will restore themselves. Your pictures themselves will be fine.