Randomly Restarting By Its Self

anon(8404556)

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
For the past two days I've been having a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 randomly restarting on it's own when ever it's left idle. When left idle with a locked or unlocked screen, it tends to spontaneously restart on it's own every 30 minutes or so. It will vibrate twice then the screen goes black. It comes back on immediately, displaying the word Samsung in regular font and an unlocked lock symbol under it that says "custom", which it doesn't normally do when I prompt my phone to restart myself, then proceeds to the normal Samsung animation, AT&T start up animation and start up tone. When I prompt the phone to restart it doesn't show the abnormal "custom" message when turning back on. It's pretty annoying and I've had to leave my phone off during the day so that it won't constantly make noise and vibrate because it't turning off and on repeatedly on it's own and in religious time intervals. How can I get my phone to stop restarting like this or what has caused it to do this?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For the past two days I've been having a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 randomly restarting on it's own when ever it's left idle. When left idle with a locked or unlocked screen, it tends to spontaneously restart on it's own every 30 minutes or so. It will vibrate twice then the screen goes black. It comes back on immediately, displaying the word Samsung in regular font and an unlocked lock symbol under it that says "unlocked", which it doesn't normally do when I prompt my phone to restart myself, then proceeds to the normal Samsung animation, AT&T start up animation and start up tone. When I prompt the phone to restart it doesn't show the abnormal "unlocked" message when turning back on. It's pretty annoying and I've had to leave my phone off during the day so that it won't constantly make noise and vibrate because it't turning off and on repeatedly on it's own and in religious time intervals. How can I get my phone to stop restarting like this or what has caused it to do this?

Welcome to the forums.
I think perhaps rebooting into recovery and clearing cache might help you. This should work: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

RobTheJones

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Could be caused by the famous Galaxy S4 battery problem. Does it happen while connected to the charger?
Take a look at the battery to see whether it is swelling up.

anon(8404556)

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
This problem happens when on or off the charger, but the first time it happened it was on the charger. I've looked at the battery and it appears to still be in it's normal shape.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This problem happens when on or off the charger, but the first time it happened it was on the charger. I've looked at the battery and it appears to still be in it's normal shape.

You need to test the battery by putting it on a flat smooth surface and flicking a corner. If it spins easily it has swollen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Could be caused by the famous Galaxy S4 battery problem. Does it happen while connected to the charger?
Take a look at the battery to see whether it is swelling up.

Good point. Trying to spin the battery on a table will show it swelling too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463