Used up all data for the month in a single night?!

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My wife's s4 on AT&T seems to want to use data even on wifi. Tonight at an event at the high school with the kids data usage skyrocketed for google+. She was taking photos and videos. However google+ is ONLY set to backup on wifi. Which she was connected to the entire time. Why would it use up all the data when it's told not to use the data network and she was on wifi?

There were also several texts, including some from AT&T warning about data limit, that she did not receive there but rather a half hour later when driving home.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
My wife's s4 on AT&T seems to want to use data even on wifi. Tonight at an event at the high school with the kids data usage skyrocketed for google+. She was taking photos and videos. However google+ is ONLY set to backup on wifi. Which she was connected to the entire time. Why would it use up all the data when it's told not to use the data network and she was on wifi?

There were also several texts, including some from AT&T warning about data limit, that she did not receive there but rather a half hour later when driving home.

Cross check that i don't think that will be only on wi-fi but i guess i would be set into using the both Wi-Fi as well as data connection, So now i can figure out what will be happening with you all the time, She might have slicked the photos and videos and all will be backup at the cloud. And yes about Wi-Fi the signal may be weak and because of that it may have uploaded all the data using the Mobile data only.

If you still stress on that you have configured it properly then i don't think your data is being used i think you should have a look at your applications installed because there are many application that automatically use the data connection to update themselves !!

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
same thing happened to my dad all data used up in one day from google+ backups i figured out his was on "upload via mobile & wifi" instead of "wifi only" so it doesnt happen again i also checked the box for "while charging only" since he only charges his phone when he's at home on wifi

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It is set to wifi only. Always has been. And you can see in data usage that it is clearly google+ that used all that data. In fact every app on the phone is set to wifi only. I have since changed google+ to backup only while charging. But i'd still like to know why it used all that data when it was set not to.

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How much data is "all data for the month"? If you are talking about a couple of gigabytes then that's a problem. If you are talking about something low like a 300MB data plan then that's a different story. I don't see anything that refers to how much data was used.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My note 3 appears to report data usage incorrectly. It says I used 11 GB but If you start to add up all the apps below, it come out to about 4gb. So start adding and call ATT

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The amount used is irrelevant. That it used a large amount in a very short period of time when it's not supposed to is the problem. She does have a 300mb plan and has never gone over before. Never saw a spike like this on any phone and it was connected to wifi.
It appears to have used about 250mb in 10 minutes on wifi. Somehow it was using data. Yet no texts came through at all for another half an hour.
My phone is also set to only backup photos in Google + on wifi and it has no issues switching to data when it's not supposed to

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Archer please please she only has 300 mb.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

So? If it's set not to use data it shouldn't be using data. And it used ONLY data. If the phone wasn't capped at 300mb it would have kept going.
Autobackup is also on for Dropbox for wifi only and it doesn't use any data.

2GodBetheGod

May 5, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happened to me on a Samsung galaxy s5 with Verizon. Google+ is set to only upload on wifi. It shows it used 2.43 GB of mobile data causing overages that I have to pay. Did anyone find a resolution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci