Is a complete mirror / copy from one S4 to another S4 possible?

mousepaws

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to mirror one s4 to another?
Sadly, despite my s4 being in an OtterBox Defender case, my phone's screen and digitizer broke when dropped.
I have a brand new s4 now, and would like to mirror my old phone to my new.
- My old s4 has recently been updated with the latest OS revision.
- I can access all data from my old s4 from my laptop via USB (running Windows 7)
- I also have a SanDisk 32GB microSD card
(My apologies in advance if this has already been answered. I searched the forums and didn't find anything directly related to mirroring an s4)

Please help! :confused::'(

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is a complete mirror / copy from one s4 to another s4 possible?

Is it possible to mirror one s4 to another?
Sadly, despite my s4 being in an OtterBox Defender case, my phone's screen and digitizer broke when dropped.
I have a brand new s4 now, and would like to mirror my old phone to my new.
- My old s4 has recently been updated with the latest OS revision.
- I can access all data from my old s4 from my laptop via USB (running Windows 7)
- I also have a SanDisk 32GB microSD card
(My apologies in advance if this has already been answered. I searched the forums and didn't find anything directly related to mirroring an s4)

Please help! :confused::'(

I'm sure you can just drag the data from the old S4 to the new S4 and your apps should be synced with your Gmail account (that is assuming you had one connected). I think that should make things eerily simlar :p

mousepaws

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Not just the apps, but would that also mirror all in app info? (notes, saved browser links, game saves, game saves, contacts, text messages?)
I need a complete mirror of my old s4.

I'm sure you can just drag the data from the old S4 to the new S4 and your apps should be synced with your Gmail account (that is assuming you had one connected). I think that should make things eerily simlar :p

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Not just the apps, but would that also mirror all in app info? (notes, saved browser links, game saves, game saves, contacts, text messages?)

That has to be done from the old phone itself (which you say is not working because the screen+digitizer is not working). Otherwise, you can't do that :/

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If both devices are rooted and the same model S4 it is fairly easy. Just make a nandroid backup from the old S4 and move it to the new S4. Then you have to make a backup on the new S4 and the change the name of the old backup to match the device number of the new S4 and you should be good to go.

I did this when I moved from a 16gb S4 to a 32gb one and it worked perfect.

***Edit****I just re-read your post and realized the old phone is broken. There may be a way to do it via adb but you'd have to research it.

I play with my food

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

If both devices are rooted and the same model S4 it is fairly easy. Just make a nandroid backup from the old S4 and move it to the new S4. Then you have to make a backup on the new S4 and the change the name of the old backup to match the device number of the new S4 and you should be good to go.

I did this when I moved from a 16gb S4 to a 32gb one and it worked perfect.

I play with my food

It doesn't sound like he was rooted (I might be wrong, I'm just assuming things).

Stop playing with your food! :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Like someone mentioned, if you're rooted and have a custom recovery. That'll probably work
If not, something like Helium backup works great for app backups. Does the screen not work at all or do you just want a new phone without a cracked screen?

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Like someone mentioned, if you're rooted and have a custom recovery. That'll probably work
If not, something like Helium backup works great for app backups. Does the screen not work at all or do you just want a new phone without a cracked screen?

I second Helium.

mousepaws

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

My phone(s) are not rooted. Didn't get enough time to root. (rats!)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

My phone(s) are not rooted. Didn't get enough time to root. (rats!)

That's Ok. We all live and learn. Just before to keep things backed up in the future. You may not be interested in rooting, but as suggested, Helium will backup your data for later restore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mousepaws

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Don't know about "live and learn" ........
There's still gotta be a way, even if that way is to just take the board out of the old phone and put it in the new phone. That's certainly a way.
So far, since posting this, I found a program called Kies , and have successfully done a complete backup of the old phone.
Accordingly, I'm not going to quit trying.........

That's Ok. We all live and learn. Just before to keep things backed up in the future. You may not be interested in rooting, but as suggested, Helium will backup your data for later restore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Don't know about "live and learn" ........
There's still gotta be a way, even if that way is to just take the board out of the old phone and put it in the new phone. That's certainly a way.
So far, since posting this, I found a program called Kies , and have successfully done a complete backup of the old phone.
Accordingly, I'm not going to quit trying.........

If Kies was able to back it up, what else do you need?
Does the screen work at all?

mousepaws

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

What else I need is.. a way to get that image made with Kies to work on the new phone.
The screen on my old phone does not work at all.

If Kies was able to back it up, what else do you need?
Does the screen work at all?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

What else I need is.. a way to get that image made with Kies to work on the new phone.

Kies won't make any images of the OS. That's what nandroid backups are for :-\
Not sure what else you can do, sorry

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If your rooted you can bring over a backup file otherwise you can only get user data not apps or app data

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

You know, when I first traded up to Android from Palm a few years ago, my biggest complaint was that there was no good way to make a complete backup. With Palm, I could make an image and if I lost, say, my 680, I could just get another and instantly be back up, no muss, no fuss.

However, since I am also in the Google eco system, things are pretty easy at this point. When I recently got a new tablet, once I signed into Google, it immediately restored all my apps (but one--backgammon EA, for some reason!) and I was off and running. I did have to fix my customization options: put the widgets and folders back on my home screen, restore my wallpaper. My media files, however, are stored on the card, which I backup manually, so that wasn't an issue. (Another fine use for SD cards...) Photos I have set to backup instantly to Facebook. Contacts are stored with Google. Lookout also backs up things like photos, SMS messages, call logs, etc.

The only real hassle is that I like to keep my entire unread Kindle library on the phone. And since you have to re-register another Kindle version, you have to DL them all again, which is a bit of a PITA for organizational purposes, considering that I have a pretty big library. It would be nice if Amazon could figure out a way around that. I understand why it occurs, but it is nonetheless a PITA.

Overall, I'd still like to be able to push a button and restore as I used to do, but there are a variety of workarounds that made this pretty easy.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You know, when I first traded up to Android from Palm a few years ago, my biggest complaint was that there was no good way to make a complete backup. With Palm, I could make an image and if I lost, say, my 680, I could just get another and instantly be back up, no muss, no fuss.

However, since I am also in the Google eco system, things are pretty easy at this point. When I recently got a new tablet, once I signed into Google, it immediately restored all my apps (but one--backgammon EA, for some reason!) and I was off and running. I did have to fix my customization options: put the widgets and folders back on my home screen, restore my wallpaper. My media files, however, are stored on the card, which I backup manually, so that wasn't an issue. (Another fine use for SD cards...) Photos I have set to backup instantly to Facebook. Contacts are stored with Google. Lookout also backs up things like photos, SMS messages, call logs, etc.

The only real hassle is that I like to keep my entire unread Kindle library on the phone. And since you have to re-register another Kindle version, you have to DL them all again, which is a bit of a PITA for organizational purposes, considering that I have a pretty big library. It would be nice if Amazon could figure out a way around that. I understand why it occurs, but it is nonetheless a PITA.

Overall, I'd still like to be able to push a button and restore as I used to do, but there are a variety of workarounds that made this pretty easy.

There are ways to just push a button to make a full backup. You can have an image of the phone and transfer it to another if need be, but you need to have a custom recovery

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

All of that stuff should be synced with your Google account, except for text messages (and maybe game saves, if the games don't sync online). But notes, bookmarks and contacts, as well as calendars and apps, should all sync with your account.

To answer your question though, if the first device isn't rooted, I don't think there's going to be an easy way to do what you want, if there is a way at all.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

There are ways to just push a button to make a full backup. You can have an image of the phone and transfer it to another if need be, but you need to have a custom recovery

You mean, rooted? Well, I've never particularly wanted to do that, but maybe one day.

Tayman52

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Helium.... Just be sure to unchecked that "... Smaller back up" button near the bottom of the screen. Helium has saved me a ton of heart ache on several occasions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance