SD card blank or has unsupported file?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
So I just woke up to this error on my notification bar. When I click it, it asks to format SD card saying that it is currently blank. I'm not sure what's going on here, but I've had this phone for only 6 months. Funny thing is I was just going to start saving stuff in the SD card because my internal storage has only 800mb. Guess it's a good thing I never saved anything there.

I have few other concerns:

1. I've always noticed in Airdroid that the storage in my SD card was 8gb, I even checked a few days back to be sure it's at full capacity. Now, having removing/inserting my SD card to check if it's working, I notice 16gb written on the card. Did I get ripped off or am I missing something?

2. It's still on warranty, but I bought the phone from a shop (SD card was included free as a special offer). Do I take it back to the shop or do I take it to Samsung Service Center?

3. Is the card corrupted? What will happen if I format it? It's not detecting the card yet it asks to format it, how do I know I'm formatting the SD card and not the storage device?

4. Could this be caused by a virus?

5. I can't use Spotify because it says that it needs place to store. How do I remedy this?

I apologize about asking so many questions but I'm not really going to get proper answers from the store and I want to be prepared when I do take it back.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
So I just woke up to this error on my notification bar. When I click it, it asks to format SD card saying that it is currently blank. I'm not sure what's going on here, but I've had this phone for only 6 months. Funny thing is I was just going to start saving stuff in the SD card because my internal storage has only 800mb. Guess it's a good thing I never saved anything there.

1. I've always noticed in Airdroid that the storage in my SD card was 8gb, I even checked a few days back to be sure it's at full capacity. Now, having removing/inserting my SD card to check if it's working, I notice 16gb written on the card. Did I get ripped off or am I missing something?

2. It's still on warranty, but I bought the phone from a shop (SD card was included free as a special offer). Do I take it back to the shop or do I take it to Samsung Service Center?

3. Is the card corrupted? What will happen if I format it? It's not detecting the card yet it asks to format it, how do I know I'm formatting the SD card and not the storage device?

5. I can't use Spotify because it says that it needs place to store. How do I remedy this?

I apologize about asking so many questions but I'm not really going to get proper answers from the store and I want to be prepared when I do take it back.

Ans: Yes i think you get ripped off !!

Ans: If it was on a free offer there is no way that Samsung Service Centre going to replaced that out as according to their policy free offer doesn't have warranty. But i think you must give it a try !!

Ans: If its asking for formatting then you must have to format it in order to access it again, as you don't have any choices and keep your fingers crossed it may not get corrupted after formatting.

Ans: well, this happens because of many reasons some are: You might have removed the card without safely removing it, you might have installed or download an application that corrupts the file system of the SD card.

Ans: Yes you could not Spotify because it needs a place where it can be installed and i am getting a feel that you're device is running low on memory and the SD is also corrupted i.e. it needs formatting that's why it is not working because it needs some space to index the music files stored on your device.

Best Possible Solution
Best solution is format the SD, It will be back on the working condition .... If you're SD card still remains in the corrupted positing then its time to spend some bucks out of your pocket ....

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Ans: If it was on a free offer there is no way that Samsung Service Centre going to replaced that out as according to their policy free offer doesn't have warranty. But i think you must give it a try !!

Ans: If its asking for formatting then you must have to format it in order to access it again, as you don't have any choices and keep your fingers crossed it may not get corrupted after formatting.

Ans: well, this happens because of many reasons some are: You might have removed the card without safely removing it, you might have installed or download an application that corrupts the file system of the SD card.

Ans: Yes you could not Spotify because it needs a place where it can be installed and i am getting a feel that you're device is running low on memory and the SD is also corrupted i.e. it needs formatting that's why it is not working because it needs some space to index the music files stored on your device.

Yup that makes sense. Will just have to stop Spotify until I can get this sorted out.

Best Possible Solution
Best solution is format the SD, It will be back on the working condition .... If you're SD card still remains in the corrupted positing then its time to spend some bucks out of your pocket ....

That's really odd. Because even the casing it came in said 16gb.

I think the shop I bought it from will have to replace it since the packaging says 5 years warranty.

I just formatted it. It seems to be detecting the SD card now via all files but there's some weird stuff in it that I can't delete. Also, I can't move anything into the SD card. Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-49-50.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-01.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-10.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-15.jpg

I haven't opened my phone since I bought with the exception of today after the issue was present, so we can rule that out. I've never installed anything on the SD card, but those images does seem like a virus.

Yup that makes sense. Will just have to stop Spotify until I can get this sorted out.

Thanks for the answers. Not sure if I can still save it, I don't know where to go from here. Would formatting it on the PC via card reader prove any different? I don't have a card reader but I know people who do.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

That's really odd. Because even the casing it came in said 16gb.

Sometimes this happens, I've been to India and buy a memory card from a local dealer, i was looking just fine I bought that one SD card 16Gb for $7 it was working fine all the time but problem arise the next day it gets corrupted i format it and what i get was 2GB of usable space .....lol..... I was like WTF is wrong.... So from my opinion i think this is possible !!

I think the shop I bought it from will have to replace it since the packaging says 5 years warranty.

Well, if shopkeeper replace it for you than that would be a good option !! :)

I just formatted it. It seems to be detecting the SD card now via all files but there's some weird stuff in it that I can't delete. Also, I can't move anything into the SD card. SD card blank or has unsupported file?-screenshot_2014-01-29-15-49-50.jpg SD card blank or has unsupported file?-screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-01.jpg SD card blank or has unsupported file?-screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-10.jpg SD card blank or has unsupported file?-screenshot_2014-01-29-15-50-15.jpg

Hmmm... Problem seems to be fishy !! like you said try to format it via PC !! And yes if you want card reader i have card reader and i can format it for you !! :D

I haven't opened my phone since I bought with the exception of today after the issue was present, so we can rule that out. I've never installed anything on the SD card, but those images does seem like a virus.

I must throw that SD card on the head of that ......... :mad: :mad:

Do let me know if your memory card is replaced or not !! I would like to know the full story !! :D

Thanks for the answers. Not sure if I can still save it, I don't know where to go from here. Would formatting it on the PC via card reader prove any different? I don't have a card reader but I know people who do.

I think you could buy a card reader it would not cost you more than a penny !! I am sure you can format your SD card your self .... :)

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
HI!!! Plz try 1 of these methods if you have a way to hook micro sd card to computer use this program to format it when you download it you have to run as administrator to open program

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Free Download <(TRY This First) (Have to run as Admin to open) If This Doesnt Work Try This

HDD Low Level Format Tool Free Download <(Try This Second) Also if you have a sd card that says write protected this program has fixed that for me in the past

Also i used to have a usb drive that would say i only had like 1gb when it was written 4gb on it when i used the first program it fixed it and gave me my 4gb back

p.s the reason it would say 1gb was because i written linux ubuntu on it and it would only be 1gb after i tried formatting it
Hope This Helps

Last edited:

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
HI!!! Plz try 1 of these methods if you have a way to hook micro sd card to computer use this program to format it when you download it you have to run as administrator to open program

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Free Download <(TRY This First) (Have to run as Admin to open) If This Doesnt Work Try This

HDD Low Level Format Tool Free Download <(Try This Second) Also if you have a sd card that says write protected this program has fixed that for me in the past

Also i used to have a usb drive that would say i only had like 1gb when it was written 4gb on it when i used the first program it fixed it and gave me my 4gb back

p.s the reason it would say 1gb was because i written linux ubuntu on it and it would only be 1gb after i tried formatting it
Hope This Helps

I took it back to the shop for a warranty claim which they conveniently claimed was only 6 months even though it was not written on the receipt and the SD casing stated 5 years warranty. After a little dispute they told me to go to their main shop to make the claim. I'll do that first but if it doesn't work I'll try your method. Thank you.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Im sorry none of the programs worked. I used to have issues with mine and i did alot of research and tried many things so the 2 things that worked during 2 different occasions i posted above. Thanx 4 trying them though . Its still gr8 u were able to find a solution in the end thats all that matters :)

Charo Mcevers

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad