Battery drain is really really bad on my Galaxy S4

Aussrh420

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have owned a galaxy s4 for a month now, it is an ok phone. Would be great if it's battery was worth a darn. It does not keep a charge an I literally have to have it on the charger 3+ times a day. If I unplugged it at 6am (when it is fully charged) and set it down till 9 am with nothing running and a black screen the battery had drained 25-30%.....very unappealing for a $600 phone My iPhone would last a full day. (Beginng to see who makes the better products here) Thinking this galaxy was a HUGE waste of time and money..... Is this normal or do these things just have absuluty awful battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
In other words I absolutely hate this phone because of this battery issue :/

That's extremely unusual - it might be a good idea to take a screenshot of your battery stats and post it here so others might be able to help.
Clearly there's something wrong as this certainly isn't my experience with Galaxy devices, or the millions of others who buy them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Aussrh420

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
The guy at customer support just said this kind of battery drain is normal...if so i waz more impressed with the razor when it came out......i cant get a straight story. Guess i should vo back to the trusty iphons. This battery thing is a joke

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The guy at customer support just said this kind of battery drain is normal...if so i waz more impressed with the razor when it came out......i cant get a straight story. Guess i should vo back to the trusty iphons. This battery thing is a joke

The guy at customer support is wrong, but it sounds like your mind is made up. Do you really think that Samsung would sell so many devices if that were the case? You may have a rogue app that is draining the battery, a bad battery, or faulty device - don't slag off a whole operating system, or manufacturer until you've at least researched where the problem might lay. I had an S4 before my Note 3, and easily got 2 days out of the battery with fair usage.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of things that could be causing your battery drain. It could be something in the settings, or it could be an app. Since most users have little trouble with battery, lets start with some basic stuff.

GPS. Unless you need/use GPS for navigation A LOT, change your location settings to battery saving - it will only use cellphone towers to approximate your location instead of the more battery-hungry GPS to pinpoint your location. Or, toggle GPS ON only when you need it
Bluetooth: Again, unless you use it - turn it off
NFC: used for Google wallet, and "beam" (tap-to-share file sharing). If you don't use either of these things, turn it off.
Screen: Turn the brightness as low as you can (which will depend on your lighting) Brighter if you're outside, dimmer inside. Also, set your screen time as low as you can. I have mine set to 1 minute (I find 30 seconds too low, and a minute a bit too high, but since on my phone I don't have an option for 45 seconds, I go with 1 minute)
Apps: A lot of apps, especially weather apps and social media apps, like to sync data A LOT - the more they sync, the more you're phone will use battery. Go into each app and lower the sync time. My weather apps I have set for 2 hours. Twitter and Facebook I have sync turned off - I'll get any updates when I open the app, but not in between. G+ is in constant sync which is OK - I use Gmail and Hangouts a lot so it's just what it is.
Apps (pt2): Some apps are really badly coded, and use battery very inefficiently. If it's not an app you use a lot, or don't really need - dump it for now. Just keep only what you really need on your device at this point.
Data/Wifi: Use wifi whenever possible. It's easier on the battery to use wifi then it is to pull in data from a cell tower.
Data (pt2): If you can, turn off data completely - you'll still get voice calls and texts, but no data at all. Or you could turn off Background data - this will stop most apps from syncing unless you're actively using them. Saves battery and data use, but some apps might not work properly.

Short story - the more stuff your phone is doing, either actively or in the background, the more it uses battery. The biggest gains will be from reducing screen usage and data usage - generally these are the hardest on your battery.

Final thought - if you've tried all this and still have poor battery life, you'll need to install a couple apps to help you figure out where the problem lies. I would recommend GSam Battery Monitor. It has an "app sucker" feature that will track the apps that use the most battery. Also, a wakelock detector will tell you which apps are active a lot and not allowing your phone to enter "deep sleep" - which is when it's idle and not doing anything other then minimal background services.

Hope this helps.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Here's a silly tip :
Turn off unwanted features.

ok , seriously.....

First , identify what's draining the battery using battery stats.Until then , nothing can be said.

If you don't like the device , sell it and get whatever you want.

Speaking of "Who makes better products" :
I used several iDevices and they all become worse after each update.My iPad 3rd gen has become pathetic after iOS 7 update.It became little worse after 7.0.x updates.

Apple cable quality is the worse , they don't even last 6 months without getting damaged/discolored.Battery replacement costs $100+ and people say that "you can replace battery yourself" and if there's a single mistake , phone will catch fire (like in australian flight how iPhone 4 caught fire because of misplaced screw)

I have been there , they work good for one year and then everything is downfall.

Only reason why I got GS4 out of all Android devices is because of replaceable battery mainly and SD-slot second reason.

Last edited:

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's a silly tip :
Turn off unwanted features.

ok , seriously.....

First , identify what's draining the battery using battery stats.Until then , nothing can be said.

If you don't like the device , sell it and get whatever you want.

Speaking of "Who makes better products" :
I used several iDevices and they all become worse after each update.My iPad 3rd gen has become pathetic after iOS 7 update.It became little worse after 7.0.x updates.

Apple cable quality is the worse , they don't even last 6 months without getting damaged/discolored.Battery replacement costs $100+ and people say that "you can replace battery yourself" and if there's a single mistake , phone will catch fire (like in australian flight how iPhone 4 caught fire because of misplaced screw)

I have been there , they work good for one year and then everything is downfall.

Only reason why I got GS4 out of all Android devices is because of replaceable battery mainly and SD-slot second reason.

I'm glad you echo what I've been saying - I fear our OP isn't really interested in any help.

Aussrh420

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
No help at all........iv had android devices before i know about all the little setting to save battery and nothing. The guy at ersion says it is normal so this piece of **** phone is going bye bye. An from apple is way better i had a 4s that lasted 3 years this pos looks like it will have a hard time beating that.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
No help at all........iv had android devices before i know about all the little setting to save battery and nothing. The guy at ersion says it is normal so this piece of **** phone is going bye bye. An from apple is way better i had a 4s that lasted 3 years this pos looks like it will have a hard time beating that.

You want help ?

Post your battery stats , someone can identify what's wrong with your device.

If you go to Apple forums and complain like how you did in this thread , you will get similar replies.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
While the *usual* tips about tweaking settings and such can help maximize battery life, losing 10%/hour when idle isn't normal even all that stuff is turned on...so let's start there.

It seems obvious that the OP may have already made up his/her mind, but just in case others find this thread when searching for their own issues, here's my advice...

9 times out of 10, excessive battery drain like this is caused by 1 of 3 things:

1. Poor signal. Not a lot that can be done about this, but if your phone is in a place where there is little to no cellular reception (and no wifi to connect to), the battery is gonna drain. fast. Of course, this will be a problem regardless of whether we're talking about an S4 or an iPhone or [insert any other device here], at least if they are all on the same carrier. Sure, some devices have better radios than others, and therefore you may have better luck with one device over another in some places, but if there's no signal, there's no signal. This is usually pretty easy to rule out as an issue, so if a person is on the forums trying to resolve their issue, it's more likely to be...

2. An app (or apps) that is consuming more resources than it should. Generally, if you've had your phone for a while and the excessive battery drain only started recently, the first culprits should be any apps you've recently installed. If it's a problem that has always been there, it can be harder to weed out which apps may be causing a problem, and that's where checking battery stats may help. Also, if you've installed any kind of "task killer" apps, try uninstalling those -- while there are some good ones out there (like Greenify), many of these apps are actually counterproductive because the processes they kill take more power to start up again, which the system will attempt to do automatically.

3. An OTA software update. I won't go on about how much I dislike the current delivery method for system updates, and how easily it could be improved (that's a different subject), but the fact is that many phones take a performance hit after doing an update and/or start to have worse battery life. (This is actually true on both the Android and iOS platforms). On Android, if you think this is the problem, the best thing to do is to perform a factory reset. A tradional factory reset will NOT uninstall any updates, but it will wipe ALL internal data, so you will want to do a back up first. Yes, this process can be a major PITA, but in almost all cases of post-updated related issues, this will get things running right again.

The other 1 out of 10 times? Probably a hardware issue, such as a bad battery. If possible, you may want to try swapping batteries with another S4 to rule this out, but if that's not available, it's usually easier to rule out the software first.

Honestly, I've had my S4 since launch, and I have GPS and BT turned on all the time, several apps that sync regularly, keep my screen brightness fairly high, and in general simply don't believe in crippling my device and sacrificing features I use just to gain a bit more life from my battery...and on normal days my phone EASILY makes it all day on a single charge, if not more. I do try to research the apps I install, and if I find one that drains more power than I like (and/or more than I'm willing to live with to keep using the app), I remove it. I do use Snapdragon battery Guru, and I'm rooted so I also have Greenify setup, and those do help a bit, but you really should still be able to get decent battery performance even without those.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
There are two competing storylines going on in this thread....

One is that you are saying the phone is a piece of junk and 30% battery loss in three hours of non-use is "normal"

The other is that responders are saying it's not normal behavior and there are a variety of things to check to investigate and get back to normal.

I'd like to suggest a "middle ground" that hopefully will engage you further in the discussion.
Android tends to be more complex than iPhone. There are a wider variety of settings / configurations that can be misconfigured and often it takes longer to figure out why it's not acting the way you expect. And the S4 with all its extra features has even more things that can be set up wrong. So go ahead and blame it on stupid Android and silly Samsung and evil Google if it makes you feel better. But then read what the knowledgeable folks have been saying. They're trying to help you navigate those muddy waters to figure out why your phone is sucking so much juice. The chances are high that with a little effort you can get great battery life. If I set my phone down for 3 hours I might lose 3%.

The fact that a customer support guy would try to convince you that your battery drain is "normal".... that's just S.O.P. for someone who either doesn't have the knowledge or doesn't have the time to fully troubleshoot the problem and is just hoping that is the response that will make you "go away" so he doesn't have to deal with you any more.

Last edited:

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
8aru6u7y.jpg
Here is a screenshot of my usage this morning shown in Battery Monitor Widget:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ism8y8btmn0a23y/Screenshot_2014-02-03-22-49-50.png

The horizontal axis is time in hours. Every gridline is one hour. The total time from left to right side is about 10 hours from 04:45 to 14:54.

The top graph is battery level. It drops from about 100% to 80% in 10 hours.
The average usage rate is about 20% / 10 hours = 2% per hour on average during this period.

The bottom graph is %/hr which jumps up and down above and below 2%. In periods where the screen is off (screen is shown on the yellow bands at the very bottom), the usage rate is about 1% per hour. In the other periods it jumps up higher. A few times it jumps to 15%/hour when I was surfing the internet using my data connection. But it all averages to 2% per hour.

It's not a trick. It's simply what my S4 phone does every day and what yours probably can too if you spend a little time to figure it out.

Last edited:

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but gsam battery monitor can be a great starting point to start to narrow down the cause

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk