Samsung Galaxy Light (SGH T-399) stuck in boot loop, can't be recognized/booted into recovery.

writkeeper

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I think this is the right place for this, but if not, tell me to "shoo" and I'll skedaddle!

Anyway, the title pretty much sums up what my problem is; my Samsung Galaxy Light won't turn on after the battery died earlier today.

I got home from work, tried plugging my phone in, and it wouldn't start charging... tried to turn it on while on the charger and got no boot screen, no light, no nothin'. Tried taking the battery out, left it out a while, plugged it back in, nothing. I tried a different cord, a different outlet, a different charger socket itself, nothing; my cord works fine for charging a different android, too.

I brought the phone over to my desktop and plugged it in via USB and the computer won't recognize that anything is there; also, neither KIES nor Odin recognize that anything is there.

I tried pushing and holding various "boot into recovery" button combinations that I could find 'round the internet; still nothing.

Now, however, the phone is lighting up repeatedly while still plugged into my computer, showing the "Samsung Galaxy Light SGH T-399" screen for a second, then turning off again.

I really, really need this phone, unfortunately. Sending it back to T-mobile isn't really an option, and sending it to Samsung would be... well, less than optimal; it's the only phone my fiance and I have to actually use, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I think this is the right place for this, but if not, tell me to "shoo" and I'll skedaddle!

Anyway, the title pretty much sums up what my problem is; my Samsung Galaxy Light won't turn on after the battery died earlier today.

I got home from work, tried plugging my phone in, and it wouldn't start charging... tried to turn it on while on the charger and got no boot screen, no light, no nothin'. Tried taking the battery out, left it out a while, plugged it back in, nothing. I tried a different cord, a different outlet, a different charger socket itself, nothing; my cord works fine for charging a different android, too.

I brought the phone over to my desktop and plugged it in via USB and the computer won't recognize that anything is there; also, neither KIES nor Odin recognize that anything is there.

I tried pushing and holding various "boot into recovery" button combinations that I could find 'round the internet; still nothing.

Now, however, the phone is lighting up repeatedly while still plugged into my computer, showing the "Samsung Galaxy Light SGH T-399" screen for a second, then turning off again.

I really, really need this phone, unfortunately. Sending it back to T-mobile isn't really an option, and sending it to Samsung would be... well, less than optimal; it's the only phone my fiance and I have to actually use, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Central :)
So you can't boot into recovery mode, right? How about download? That's volume down + home + power button
If those aren't working, I'd try a new battery. Otherwise, the phone is probably dead for good unless you send it back for repair :-\

Posted via Android Central App

writkeeper

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Ah crap... I got it to boot into download mode for a split second and it started the process, but then shut itself off again.

Tried the button combination again, and now it's not doing anything, and it's no longer turning on at all; no boot screen.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ah crap... I got it to boot into download mode for a split second and it started the process, but then shut itself off again.

Tried the button combination again, and now it's not doing anything, and it's no longer turning on at all; no boot screen.

Try leaving out the battery for 10 - 15 minutes then do it again. If that doesn't work it's probably sudden death syndrome; had it happen to my old phone and it never worked, even with a new battery :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Geez, is that Samsung's version of the red ring of death or something?

No fun. ; ;

Not just Samsung, happens to all kinds of phones. Some might be from a bad battery, so you could still try that but the only other option is to send it back for repair

writkeeper

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... It's sort of working again, but still not really. I can boot into download mode for just a second and then it shuts back off again without fail. Battery, probably?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... It's sort of working again, but still not really. I can boot into download mode for just a second and then it shuts back off again without fail. Battery, probably?

Not sure, I had that happen to me a few weeks ago and almost hard bricked my phone. Let is sit without the battery for about an hour and it let me boot into download mode.
Anyway, if you get it into download mode, plug it into a PC and download a program on there called "Odin." I use v1.85 but 3.07 works fine too. Then get a stock ROM from either sammobile or samsungupdates.com and flash it with Odin.

writkeeper

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll give it a shot and report back later. Hopefully it works... doesn't look like I can find a replacement battery upon first search. D:

Anyway, thanks!

GJSmith3rd

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I've got a sgh-t399 that's stuck in a boot loop due to a corrupted data partition. My backups failed to restore so right now I'm waiting for a custom rom.

Sent from my U8150 using Tapatalk 2

Troy Wyatt

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the same phone as you from T-Mobile and it was not rooted. I let my service run out and continued to use wifi with phone apps. Over a period of time I began to notice performance problems, probably because I kept the annoying T-Mobile apps turned off. I down loaded and tried several security apps that were well reviewed. However the security apps appeared useless because most of them only fully function wit5h a rooted device. Now! that allowed, through wifi the ability for someone or something to enter my files, most likely with a super user ability(TAKES ADMINISTRATIVE OWNERSHIP) so that my files began to be corrupted and the performance suffered. This is a problem for unrooted phones, especially on wifi that is not tightly secured. I personally believe it was an angry mobile network provider(T-ML).. I reset my phone to factory reset a few times, figuring this out. when you use certain backup apps, after some of the files have been corrupted, you get back some of what you backed up, then you realize you have to reset and start over. In the meantime the "Service provider" is playing their role in confiscating some of their updates and so forth. Hence eventually, you research it and find a way to do a "Hard Reset" and as it boots, you get stuck with a white screen that radiates the service providers name!! haha!, jokes on me!! So I have gotten it to go into boot mode but nothing. I can also get it to go into a mode for installing an OS. Now I followed a few instructions and held the power button down for awhile until the screen went blank(plugged in) and i'm about to try something else, not sure what yet! Will be back to let you know. Finally It would be nice if someone would quickly send me advice before it's too late.
:-\

Last edited:

Troy Wyatt

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the same phone as you from T-Mobile and it was not rooted. I let my service run out and continued to use wifi with phone apps. Over a period of time I began to notice performance problems, probably because I kept the annoying T-Mobile apps turned off. I down loaded and tried several security apps that were well reviewed. However the security apps appeared useless because most of them only fully function wit5h a rooted device. Now! that allowed, through wifi the ability for someone or something to enter my files, most likely with a super user ability(TAKES ADMINISTRATIVE OWNERSHIP) so that my files began to be corrupted and the performance suffered. This is a problem for unrooted phones, especially on wifi that is not tightly secured. I personally believe it was an angry mobile network provider(T-ML).. I reset my phone to factory reset a few times, figuring this out. when you use certain backup apps, after some of the files have been corrupted, you get back some of what you backed up, then you realize you have to reset and start over. In the meantime the "Service provider" is playing their role in confiscating some of their updates and so forth. Hence eventually, you research it and find a way to do a "Hard Reset" and as it boots, you get stuck with a white screen that radiates the service providers name!! haha!, jokes on me!! So I have gotten it to go into boot mode but nothing. I can also get it to go into a mode for installing an OS. Now I followed a few instructions and held the power button down for awhile until the screen went blank(plugged in) and i'm about to try something else, not sure what yet! Will be back to let you know. Finally It would be nice if someone would quickly send me advice before it's too late.
:-\

CVAngelo

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Your battery is completely dry is the obvious issue here. This is why you must never let your battery run down to completely 0% because there is not enough juice to run the boot image which controls the battery charging module. So the result is that it will not charge, or it will take a little charge and use it all up to launch the initial booting process. You have to charge it up OUTSIDE your phone! Use a universal charger.