Proper way to factory data reset

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys. I've never factory data reset before. I have numerous apps on my SD card. Non rooted stock. Now, what would be the correct way to back up whatever it is I should back up then do the factory data reset. Then, subsequently, restore all my apps and such? Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. I've never factory data reset before. I have numerous apps on my SD card. Non rooted stock. Now, what would be the correct way to back up whatever it is I should back up then do the factory data reset. Then, subsequently, restore all my apps and such? Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

I would pull all files off your phone, like pictures, music, etc and copy/paste them to your PC. If you have any texts, use Kies to help you with that. Make sure contacts are backed up in some way, either through Kies, or synced to Google.

Then go to Settings>Backup and reset>Factory data reset.

One piece of advice on the SD card: Use it to store your media only. Keep your apps on the device itself.

Hope that helps. If not, by all means ask for clarification.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I would pull all files off your phone, like pictures, music, etc and copy/paste them to your PC. If you have any texts, use Kies to help you with that. Make sure contacts are backed up in some way, either through Kies, or synced to Google.

One piece of advice on the SD card: Use it to store your media only. Keep your apps on the device itself.

Ok, cool thanks Golf. A few questions:

Is Kies an app to aid in backup?

Up until now, I have most of my apps if not all that can be, on my SD CARD to help with memory space on the phone. Are you suggesting that I move all apps from SD CARD to phone before I do this?

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate your help! I'm actually asking in preparation for whenever we get Kit Kat and this time I want to do it right by factory data reset after doing the update. That is unless you have a suggestion not too!

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are not rooted (as I am not...), I highly recommend the free helium app from the Play Store. Due to the built in security, you will have to connect via USB to your PC to enable a full backup. This has to be done after any reboot to re-enable full backup, but no big deal as there is no need to do it until you want to make another backup.

You have to download the PC companion app, but they give simple instructions on their play store page.

I used to dread a restore as it meant several hours setting up the phone the way I liked afterwards, but with my last reset I thought I would try Helium; I think I spent 15 minutes tweaking a couple of things after restoring with Helium. Great time and effort savings.

It even backed up the multiple home screen folders I use to organize my apps! For non-root I don't think you can beat it.

Rooting has some value, but as I get older, I just don't want to invest the time constantly tweaking everything, and potentially leaving myself at a point where needed functions won't work without significant investment of time to troubleshoot...

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, cool thanks Golf. A few questions:

Is Kies an app to aid in backup?

Up until now, I have most of my apps if not all that can be, on my SD CARD to help with memory space on the phone. Are you suggesting that I move all apps from SD CARD to phone before I do this?

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate your help! I'm actually asking in preparation for whenever we get Kit Kat and this time I want to do it right by factory data reset after doing the update. That is unless you have a suggestion not too!

Kies is a program to install on your PC. It can be found on Samsung's website. (Sorry for not explaining, I have suggested it fairly frequently over the past few days I thought I already typed that)

As for the apps to the SD card, you can move them all manually, but the reset is like starting over from scratch anyway. The OS actually reads the data from the internal faster than off a card anyway. You will probably find that the app will load a little quicker due to there being one less place for the OS to look for that data. One thing I did forget to mention; Back up your SD card to your computer and I would reformat it. (The whole starting fresh thing.)

I do suggest getting KitKat. The OS is changing slightly, and one thing that changes is what is called Android Run Time. That is the manner upon which apps are cached which is more optimized than the way they were on 4.3 and older. Basically, apps will run better and open faster. KitKat is also a little easier on RAM.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad that helped. Good luck with your reset. If you are unsure, ask. Someone will be able to help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
I'll certainly do! You guys are great, really. Thanks for helping guys like me out. I'm actually just wanting to get smarter for when kitkat comes out. I'll want to do it correctly.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Why do you suggest I keep the apps on the phone vs the SD card? I currently put as much on the SD card as possible to save memory on the phone. Am I wrong with this thinking?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do you suggest I keep the apps on the phone vs the SD card? I currently put as much on the SD card as possible to save memory on the phone. Am I wrong with this thinking?

1. Faster loading due to one less partition that the OS has to look through
2. Internal sotrage actually has a faster read speed than the External.
3. Not all applications can be moved to the SD card, that is up to the developer. Even when they can, the amount of data varies, and some of the app stays on the internal anyway.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting ok cool thanks. So, you recommend and prefer to use the internal phone memory for all apps? I was always under the impression that the more memory the internal phone had the faster it would be!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Interesting ok cool thanks. So, you recommend and prefer to use the internal phone memory for all apps? I was always under the impression that the more memory the internal phone had the faster it would be!

Yes, keep the internal for apps and related files, and the Sd card for things like music, videos, and pictures. Those few things alone will take a load off the internal.

As for faster speeds and memory, I think you have RAM in mind which for Android is the near opposite of Windows. Android likes having RAM full because it helps apps load faster after you open them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech