S4 Display Smearing / Ghost Problem

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing Display / Screen smearing/ghosting issue in my S4. When I scroll in menu I encounter black background. Besides that, sometimes i also encounter a purple haze on the grey bits of the menu and elsewhere. The effect is more noticeable when the brightness is turned down. Any solution for this? I have tried another Original display but I am encountering similar problem. I have already re-soldered display connector pins and checked each pin personally via Multi-meter, as well as other surrounding components. Any help is highly appreciated.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing Display / Screen smearing/ghosting issue in my S4. When I scroll in menu I encounter black background. Besides that, sometimes i also encounter a purple haze on the grey bits of the menu and elsewhere. The effect is more noticeable when the brightness is turned down. Any solution for this? I have tried another Original display but I am encountering similar problem. I have already re-soldered display connector pins and checked each pin personally via Multi-meter, as well as other surrounding components. Any help is highly appreciated.

Why don't you just take it to Samsung's service center ? It will be in warranty anyway.

Did you try running the screen tests with the help of *#0*# code ?

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I need this thing to be quickly done, and they would atleast take a week to get this job done.
Well I didn't tried the code, i''ll go with screen test code then. didn't knew that there was one. Thanks for the help!

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What your experiencing when the brightness is turned down completely is normal. Let me guess when you turn the brightness up slightly it goes away?

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's the issue! So what it is all about?

That's because in AMOLED displays , black color means they completely turn off in that region.

For example , if you put a plain black background , you will see that entire screen appears as if its turned off completely.That's because AMOLEDs have special ability to display "100%" blacks which you don't find it in any LCD.

When you scroll black background with white fonts or fast moving white objects , each of the "pixel sets" must go back and forth between 0 and 255 values because black and white have values of 0 and 255 for Red,Green and Blue.

This results in more ghosting effect in extreme low brightness and less problem at higher brightness but it still exists.

On LCDs , blacks are unnatural , blacks appear as "greyish black shade" , so contrast ratio is quite less and that's why they generally don't seem to exhibit this effect.

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
That's a one useful piece of information Sanjay! Thanks Sanjay. Anyways can you tell me is there anyway I can resolve that on my own without going to any service center?

undead12

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
So you are saying basically its normal for it to ghost? Because my GS4 does this when my brightness is down but when i put it on high it goes away. My phone isnt broke right?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Even though I have a GS4, I prefer IPS displays. Much more accurate color representation, no ghosting and can see the display in sunlight.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Even though I have a GS4, I prefer IPS displays. Much more accurate color representation, no ghosting and can see the display in sunlight.

Even though my tone may appear rude , unfortunately We can only type words here So.......
I can agree on ghosting but can you explain what are you going to achieve with accurate color representation ? Just curious

The reason why I ask is because most of the times we see magazines/posters/covers/pictures etc. with people full of makeup or photoshop images or edited images , What's the point of LCD when images themselves are fake most of the times ?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Even though my tone may appear rude , unfortunately We can only type words here So.......
I can agree on ghosting but can you explain what are you going to achieve with accurate color representation ? Just curious

The reason why I ask is because most of the times we see magazines/posters/covers/pictures etc. with people full of makeup or photoshop images or edited images , What's the point of LCD when images themselves are fake most of the times ?

When I view photography, I like to see them as the photographer intended. I don't like everything to be drastically oversaturated. When I take photos on the device, I want to edit the photo and tone down the saturation on the photographs but I remember it's not the photo, it's the screen that's causing this. If I correct it to the way I want it to look, it would be undersaturated on a screen that can display to image correctly.

volt9

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
That's because in AMOLED displays , black color means they completely turn off in that region.

For example , if you put a plain black background , you will see that entire screen appears as if its turned off completely.That's because AMOLEDs have special ability to display "100%" blacks which you don't find it in any LCD.

When you scroll black background with white fonts or fast moving white objects , each of the "pixel sets" must go back and forth between 0 and 255 values because black and white have values of 0 and 255 for Red,Green and Blue.

This results in more ghosting effect in extreme low brightness and less problem at higher brightness but it still exists.

On LCDs , blacks are unnatural , blacks appear as "greyish black shade" , so contrast ratio is quite less and that's why they generally don't seem to exhibit this effect.
Nice explanation, however the AMOLED in the GS3 did NOT exhibit this problem... The S4 display is nicer to look at when viewing static images, but the S3 has a faster pixel refresh. I don't like it, but oh well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie