05-23-2014 04:38 PM
39 12
tools
    Have US Cellular S4, Kit Kat update sent to my phone by carrier, installed it...HATE IT!! Until this update I had never even had the back cover off of my phone, I have now had to pull the battery more times than I can count. Screen stays black when trying to wake phone from sleep, home button no longer wakes screen, power button doesn't always wake screen. When screen does come on...have to wait several seconds before I am able to enter password. No camera app on the lock screen, battery drain worse even when disabling GPS and doing all the other well known tricks to save battery. I used to leave everything on including GPS 24/7 and the drain was about the same as it is now with everything off. No new kitkat dialer offered for S4. Worst update ever in my case. Has anyone figured out a way to go back to jellybean???
    From TeamUSCellular.com

S4 update pulled for issues..
    Apps disappearing have to redownload but no information seems lost
    Black screen when phone is in sleep mode and a button is pressed to wake it, the two lights at bottom light upbut no screen. Laying phone face down, usually over 15 seconds resolves issue.
    When a text message comes in sometimes the messaging screen appears at the top that you can touch and then put in screen swipe lock code in and it wont recognize the swipe for a few seconds, like it has a delay
    4.4.2 for the S4 pulled - Galaxy S4 Discussion - TeamUSCellular

I would take my phone to a USCC store and ask if they would install a previous version that works. They know they have a failure on their hands.
    03-04-2014 09:08 AM
    Originally from trucky: From TeamUSCellular.com

*Apps*disappearing have to redownload but no information seems lost
    Black screen when phone is in sleep mode and a button is pressed to wake it, the two lights at*bottom light upbut no screen. Laying phone face down, usually over 15 seconds resolves issue.
    When a text message comes in sometimes the messaging screen appears at the top that you can touch and then put in screen swipe lock code in and it wont recognize the swipe for a few seconds, like it has a delay

I would take my phone to a USCC store and ask if they would install a previous version that works. They know they have a failure on their hands.

Thanks, that's my next step.
    03-04-2014 09:32 AM
    1.When on your home screen* or in Google Now, just say Ok Google to launch voice search, send a text, get directions or even play a song.
    (Although I can't seem to get this feature to work from my homescreen?)
    2.While listening to music on your device, youll see a full-screen album art when your device is locked. You can play, pause, or seek to a specific moment.
    3. Emoticons available on Google Keyboard, and you can place them anywhere.
    4. Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.
    Don't know if anyone had replied to this yet, but that little star goes to a foot note at the bottom of the page that says it's only for Nexus and GpE devices....those are the only people who really benefit a whole hell of a lot from this update.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-04-2014 10:27 AM
    Don't know if anyone had replied to this yet, but that little star goes to a foot note at the bottom of the page that says it's only for Nexus and GpE devices....those are the only people who really benefit a whole hell of a lot from this update.

You mean in order to enable Google Now from the homescreen?
    03-04-2014 10:47 AM
    The charging is way slower on my i9500 unlocked Intl version and the battery life improvement is huge! I really don't see anything else that improves the phone anyway.

03-04-2014 11:50 AM
    Sorry your having so much trouble, thankfully mine was a smooth transition, Although I did have to reinstall a few apps that got deleted.
    Good news. I rebooted my phone 4 times, for different reasons, and everything came back and was working correctly. This was from full shutdowns and booting from cold, not warm starts.
    sasha likes this.
    03-04-2014 02:57 PM
    From TeamUSCellular.com

• Apps disappearing – have to redownload but no information seems lost
    • Black screen – when phone is in sleep mode and a button is pressed to wake it, the two lights at bottom light upbut no screen. Laying phone face down, usually over 15 seconds resolves issue.
    • When a text message comes in sometimes the messaging screen appears at the top that you can touch and then put in screen swipe lock code in and it won’t recognize the swipe for a few seconds, like it has a delay

Trucky, I had the same issues. I had to reboot a number of times before mine phone started working correctly. Keep trying.
    03-04-2014 03:00 PM
    A huge improvement I've noticed with this update: the Bluetooth in my car doesn't seem to skip anymore. Listening to music over Bluetooth was being unbearable because the audio would keep freezing and skipping. I eventually had to start using the aux jack. Now, about a week since I updated, and I haven't heard one skip yet. This alone makes the update worth it to me.
    03-04-2014 06:13 PM
    no issues so far and I downloaded google now launcher and I love it
    03-04-2014 06:40 PM
    I still haven't gotten a notification to update it/hasn't popped up for when I manually try to do it, I'm on AT&T and I know it's been almost a week now but shouldn't I have gotten it by now or should I continue to wait a little longer? I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my phone.
    03-04-2014 09:29 PM
    You mean in order to enable Google Now from the homescreen?
    Correct.

Sent from my S4 to you via Tapatalk 🍬
    sasha likes this.
    03-05-2014 08:21 AM
    Correct.

Sent from my S4 to you via Tapatalk
    That explains it! LOL
    03-05-2014 09:52 AM
    2.While listening to music on your device, youll see a full-screen album art when your device is locked. You can play, pause, or seek to a specific moment.

Any clue how to turn this off? I don't want my podcasts album art displayed. Quite a few of them are white, which makes unlocking my phone more difficult than it should be.

Thanks!
    05-22-2014 09:54 PM
    It seems every single phone updated to KitKat has high power consumption issues, be it the S4, Xperia Z1, Htc One, LG G2 etc... I've read a ton of complaints over each of them and its been shocking. Android System seems to be a major culprit, along with Location services.

I've been running KitKat since it launchef for the S4, and I've rooted mine, loaded AppOps and Greenify to help reduce power consumption recently.
    05-23-2014 04:38 PM
39 12