KitKat feedback on Galaxy S4

Sammy3007

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Never waited for an update than this KitKat for months. When arrived on my Galaxy S4 i9500, l was really really disappointed with new features. Are there actually new features..? Dont think so. The changes with the Kitkat are 'status bar turned into white from green', the camera shortcut has come onto lockscreen, and these two features are not big update. They mean nothing. Another feature l saw in the more networks is 'printing' that too support samsung printing devices. For this we can download HP printing plugin from Google play instead of waiting for this update. This is also a drawback. Then, earlier there was G+photos icon which has now been changed into 'photos'. But functions are same. Fine, apart from these can any one show me a new feature from KitKat on Galaxy S4..? Just for this unnecessary features, do l have to sacrifice 353 MB space...? Does it really deserve to be on S4..? Big no.

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site
some of my feedback after i updated my S4 i9500 with Kitkat 4.2.2.

1. the touchwiz is good but feels slow (not sluggish) - intended smooth but slow.
2. The white battery symbol - which is the most obvious change
3. The multi-window has some pretty cool features added (create a joint page etc)
4. the fonts are smaller and cleaner all over the phone
5. lock screen touch is more accurate
6. the overall brightness of the device is lesser but contrast higher - more deep colors

obviously its not very significant but nonetheless being a sucker for upgrades - i am still happy. Can folks share what other thngs you guys found

Sammy3007

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The muti window was already there before the KitKat update..what we have got is just an add-on..and we can even do that manually without the support of Kitkat...but what is so special about kitkat..? Thts my question !!

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site
The muti window was already there before the KitKat update..what we have got is just an add-on..and we can even do that manually without the support of Kitkat...but what is so special about kitkat..? Thts my question !!

agree - it doesn't look substantive enough

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
1.When on your home screen* or in Google Now, just say “Ok Google” to launch voice search, send a text, get directions or even play a song.
(Although I can't seem to get this feature to work from my homescreen?)
2.While listening to music on your device, you’ll see a full-screen album art when your device is locked. You can play, pause, or seek to a specific moment.
3. Emoticons available on Google Keyboard, and you can place them anywhere.
4. Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site
1.When on your home screen* or in Google Now, just say ?Ok Google? to launch voice search, send a text, get directions or even play a song.
(Although I can't seem to get this feature to work from my homescreen?)
2.While listening to music on your device, you?ll see a full-screen album art when your device is locked. You can play, pause, or seek to a specific moment.
3. Emoticons available on Google Keyboard, and you can place them anywhere.
4. Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.

Watch On app is now on the lock screen. Pretty helpful as all my remotes are on my phone...

Posted via Android Central App

M_Saiti

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello... I am new on this Android stuff.....I got an Samsung Galaxy S4 international unlocked.......but still I have it with Android 4.2.2... I try to update it via KIES, it says your Firmewire is not supported .....,I try to update manually at the Phone, and there says All new updates are installed..... Can somebody please help me how to update my phone.....
Thanks a lot.

p.s. I am from Macedonia ( Europe)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It is carrier specific I believe. AT&T finally rolled out their OTA update.

I noticed the following so far.

1) Re-install AT&T Visual Voicemail, Hilton Honors, Hyatt, Malco, Nationwide Insurance, Android Central, Mahjongg, Temple Run.
2) Bluetooth and Battery Indicator icons now white.
3) Holding home button to close open apps. The display of the open apps looks better.
4) Holding the Back button hides/shows multi-task tab.
5) Transitions between Windows is snappier.
6) HDR mode in camera.

4x4fun

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I was updated to KitKat and have found that it is terrible on my S4! My phone now will lock up, I have to tap the home button to get it to move again, I no longer can hold my home button to see the apps that I have running, I also can't use my back button to go back to the home screen. I can go back to the first screen of the app, hit back one more time and my screen goes black. Have to hit my home screen to get it out of the blackness. The few perks do not equal the pains.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I was updated to KitKat and have found that it is terrible on my S4! My phone now will lock up, I have to tap the home button to get it to move again, I no longer can hold my home button to see the apps that I have running, I also can't use my back button to go back to the home screen. I can go back to the first screen of the app, hit back one more time and my screen goes black. Have to hit my home screen to get it out of the blackness. The few perks do not equal the pains.

Did you try powering off and rebooting your device?

4x4fun

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, It did more installs with the first manual reboot. The second did not give me any more installs or updates. I played with the home button and showing me the open apps. I have been able to get into it, but it is mighty tricky. Back button is still a problem and so is the freezing.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, It did more installs with the first manual reboot. The second did not give me any more installs or updates. I played with the home button and showing me the open apps. I have been able to get into it, but it is mighty tricky. Back button is still a problem and so is the freezing.

Sorry your having so much trouble, thankfully mine was a smooth transition, Although I did have to reinstall a few apps that got deleted.

Bruinlvr

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I just updated to KK myself and have only had the s4 for a few weeks, former iphoner here so not as technically savy as most of you regarding android. Visually it doesn't seem to have many upgrades at all which is fine I liked how it looked, plus I was just getting use to everything. Big thing for me was the improved battery usage that was claimed to be improved for KK. Really hope they found a way to be more efficient, because my battery life was not good compared to my old iphone. Obviously the screen is bigger and the guts of it are more higher powered to power consumption will be greater, but sliding 10% during my morning coffee and cigarette checking emails/txts/fb was a bit much.

GalaxyFanatic

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Did a manual update on LTE S4 a while ago, and this update (4.4.2) is one of the best update so far. I noticed the battery drains slower than usual, multitasking is never been so fast until this update, and its quite snappier. The white color change on top is quite better than the colorful one, and the music player, you can see the fullscreen album picture on lock screen. Even if the new touchUI and no camera button on lockscreen, I still find KitKat as one of the best update so far.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000