Dropped my Galaxy S4 in the toilet, won't charge?

zm115

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm a genius and dropped my s4 in the toilet last night, and took it out immediately, and it worked just fine till this morning (and I was drunk so). I got home, plugged it in and the charging notification wouldn't come up. So I put it in rice for an hour, took it out, and tried charging it again. The symbol came up, but it wasn't charging, just said it was. Screen and camera and everything is working just fine. Even talked on the phone for a bit. I've put it back in the rice (took the sim card out as well). It's all in a bowl of rice. What are the chances it'll work again? And how long should I leave it in the rice? I got it from Rogers in July, and it's worked fine till now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Dropped my s4 in the toilet, won't charge?

Chances are 50/50... Either it will work or it won't... Water damage is very unpredictable.

Even with the rice treatment there is no promises.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I'd leave it in there at least 24 hours.

But given the fact that you didn't do it immediately and continued to use it the damage is probably already done, especially when you plugged it in to charge. I'm guessing when you plugged it in there was some moisture in the USB connector and that is when the damage occurred.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

The best fix---buy the S5. It's water resistant. (For all those saying there is no reason to upgrade, I guess there IS a reason to upgrade! :) )

zm115

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I'd love to, but I'm a broke college student. I'm going to an authorized Samsung cellphone repair shop tomorrow, and I'll see what they say

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I'd love to, but I'm a broke college student. I'm going to an authorized Samsung cellphone repair shop tomorrow, and I'll see what they say

Yeah, I get that. I'm just taking a jab at all those critiques of the S5. Some of the "under the hood" advances can be critically important. They just don't seem to get any attention until disaster strikes. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah water damage can be bad.. I hope the repair shop works for you.

My mom dumped her iPhone in the dog bowl the other day when I was visiting.. I immediately powered it off, towel dried it, and then threw it in rice for 24 hours. Luckily that did the trick and it is functioning fine :).

Keep us posted Zm!

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

zm115

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Took it in to the store today, it's $40 to $80 to repair any water damage, plus extra for any damaged parts. He said since it was working fine after it fell in water it's a good chance that it'll be 100% okay. But now my warranty's void, which I was okay with. If the usb port is actually damaged, it'll be another $80.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

A broke college student should have come up with the small amount for a water proof case, to avoid a $500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity.
Maybe you could have bought a case and stayed home from one night of drinking.
Because you turned it on and used it, immediately after you dunked it, you are done. The damage is done. If you had put it in rice RIGHT away, there would have been a chance.
I don't agree with the tech you spoke to at all. I am guessing your bill will be a LOT higher, I am curious to hear the actual final bill.

zm115

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

No need to be a ********* buddy. For your information, cost me $80 to get it fixed (plus tax), and it's currently in my bag right now. Not a "$500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity".
And to celebrate, I'm going out drinking on Friday.

PS: took a look at the final bill, it was $90.40 in the end including tax.

- - - Updated - - -

My phone's 100% fixed, and didn't burn a hole in my pocket. $80 to check and fix for water damage, and that was all.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

No need to be a ********* buddy. For your information, cost me $80 to get it fixed (plus tax), and it's currently in my bag right now. Not a "$500.00 loss from one drunk night of stupidity".
And to celebrate, I'm going out drinking on Friday.

PS: took a look at the final bill, it was $90.40 in the end including tax.

- - - Updated - - -

My phone's 100% fixed, and didn't burn a hole in my pocket. $80 to check and fix for water damage, and that was all.

If you would have bought a $40 case in the first place, instead of spending the money to get drunk you wouldn't have had to dish out the repair costs.
Typical teenager response though. You are too broke to do something smart, but when it comes to alcohol you have the money.
And I was stating the obvious :) Not being a whatever rude word you used.

zm115

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

If you would have bought a $40 case in the first place, instead of spending the money to get drunk you wouldn't have had to dish out the repair costs.
Typical teenager response though. You are too broke to do something smart, but when it comes to alcohol you have the money.

I got a iSkin case for free from Rogers which the sales associate told me was a good case. The alcohol was free on my part since I wasn't the one hosting the party, and I'm not a teenager. You're not stating the obvious, you're being rude and idiotic. Get off your high horse.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I'll take that teenager's line of thinking over yours any day. It's saved me close to a thousand dollars on insurance and phone cases over the past 13 years. Spending $1000 to prevent me from having to spend $80 is a pretty dumb thing to do.

Remember that "the obvious" was $500 a few posts ago.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I'll take that teenager's line of thinking over yours any day. It's saved me close to a thousand dollars on insurance and phone cases over the past 13 years. Spending $1000 to prevent me from having to spend $80 is a pretty dumb thing to do.

Remember that "the obvious" was $500 a few posts ago.

What are you talking about??? What you said made ABSOLUTELY no sense! How does what you said even remotely have anything to do with me suggesting spending $40.00 on a semi water proof case to avoid spending money on a repair or an entirely new phone???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante