Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.

Welcome to Android Central :)
Could you post screenshots of your battery stats? That would make it easier to see if anything obvious stands out

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-03-06-12-06-10.jpg

my screen had been on for a total of about 5 minutes at the time of this snap. That would mean that of the 32% of battery that has been used up, about 8% of the battery life has been used by the screen which was only used for about five minutes. Using these numbers, the phone at 100% charge would die in less than an hour if the screen were on and absolutely nothing else was running. Previously, that was not the case. Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 106948

my screen had been on for a total of about 5 minutes at the time of this snap. That would mean that of the 32% of battery that has been used up, about 8% of the battery life has been used by the screen which was only used for about five minutes. Using these numbers, the phone at 100% charge would die in less than an hour if the screen were on and absolutely nothing else was running. Previously, that was not the case. Thanks

OK. Download the app "Wakelock detector." That should tell you what's keeping the phone awake and causing the drain

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Now phone is inoperable. No screen, solid blue led indicator, unresponsive, and still hot. golly gee. something definitely wrong here. it was working just fine until 2-3 days ago.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Now phone is inoperable. No screen, solid blue led indicator, unresponsive, and still hot. golly gee. something definitely wrong here. it was working just fine until 2-3 days ago.

That's strange. Do a battery pull and leave it out for a half hour or so. Then go into the G+ app and turn off any location services or syncing.

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
ok. I pulled battery the battery for a while and restarted. I turned off location sharing in G+. I don't see G+ at the top of the list in Wakelock detector anymore. Let's see if that solves it.

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.

junkykid

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
GS4 has huge battery issues with overheating in Europe, but no reports here. I got mine back in June of last year and around October the battery started draining insanely fast. I could find no reason, so I went in to the verizon store. The person there told me I probably had malware or something, but I know what I am doing with my phone and this was not the case. Anyway, she said she could swap in a new battery for free, but that this would probably not make a difference and I could come back in a few days if it didn't help. Well the battery was the problem, new one works just fine. It's probably a bad battery.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.

Aww man, that sucks. I have a guide for fixing corruption on SD cards. If you haven't formatted the card yet, it's worth a try
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=359981
Did the battery issue at least get resolved?

Triago

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
thanks. Actually i ran a chkdsk on the sim card through windows (saw it on you tube), and it fixed enough for me to be able to at least access the card. I was able to recover some pics. And actually, a forgot i had backed up my pics on my work PC about 6 months ago. So it wasn't as bad as i thought.

Battery is still draining pretty fast. I think this may be a battery issue, considering the stats on the screen shot i posted. I will try replacing the battery. Please let me know of any other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks all!

sandra211

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ever try app called Carat? It's from computer dept in univ in CA-they check what's a drag on system & make suggestions that will cause improvements. It takes awhile until they've amassed enough info to offer those suggestions but it's worth a try until your solutions are in. With Carat, you open the app, leave on only til the color completes along the top (later after all their data has filled their questions, they'll make suggestions as to how much more time you'll gain if you get rid of ??? or various fixes). Carat is free. Carat won't be solution this week but it will offer valuable information about the phone that's pertinent in this thread. If it turns out your issue is more complex than the norm, they'll take an email & return time is pretty good. Almost hidden at end is a forum that covers many issues. I've had it for couple years-the only challenging part with it is to open the app every few days just to update the info-otherwise, it is very easy. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

Len Mulaski

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the suggestions on the apps! I installed carat and wakelock detector (actually found a wakelock termintor app I can use too since I already have Xposed installed), so we'll see if that fixes it for me...thanks again! :)

judowodo

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been experiencing the same thing since I downloaded a samsung update. Battery is dead in3 hrs without even using it.
I have the same exact problem as you. It was from an update this week too and my battery has been draining so fast. Even if I keep it charged it would be charging so slow because the battery is draining almost at the same rate as it is being charge.

Aidan64

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I would charge my battery overnight to 100%. 4 hours later the battery would be at 10%. This has only happened in the last 2 weeks. My phone would also be red hot after charging After reading other forums I have done the following

1. Turned off motions and gestures and Air View from the Settings. I didnt really use these anyway
2. Turned of Use GPS Satellite from the Location in Settings
3. Clicked Power Saving Mode from the drag down menu
4. Disabled sync in the Settings - Accounts for all the accounts
5. Downloaded Battery Booster Lite
6. Deleted the last 3-4 apps I downloaded - could have been a rogue app
7. Turned off Wi-Fi when I was not in a Wi-Fi area.
8. Deleted cleaner apps. Manually deleted cache etc from the Settings-More-Applications Manager

Nothing worked. I still had the same problems as before up until yesterday. I read on another forum that the sd card drains the battery on the S4. I took out my sd card. Simple as that. It worked. I have taken my phone off charge 3 1/2 hours ago. Battery is at 80%. Would have been down to 30% or less when I had the issues.

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and my understanding is that this is a kitKat issue. I've been doing at lot of research and found from different sources that a lot of people have had some success by turning off location services but I don't want to do that. I use GPS maps etc and I want to continue using them. Plus Google wants us to connect with location services so they can sell us stuff . What I am unsure about is this also a Samsung problem, so does anyone know if other manufacturers phones are experiencing battery drain problems with KitKat?

traciezorzi

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Any chance you rec'd an answer for this. My phone is doing the exact same thing! I even bought an additional battery... now using 2 batteries every day and they are still not enouhg. I have had the phone for 6 months and it's just been the past 2 or 3 weeks that this started happening. Awww! Frustrating! Help.

traciezorzi

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I just did a live chat with Samsung. Instructions were: Set phone to restart... while its restarting continuously hit the volume down button (left side of phone)... (I had to try 3 times) and a black "SAFE MODE" box appears on the bottom left of screen. Charge battery to FULL and operate in safe mode for 24 hours. Hopefully it corrects itself... if not I was told to live chat with Samsung again.

Fingers Crossed!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci