Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

ron Horowitz

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same exact issue with a battery that was less than seven eight months old the thing was draining draining draining I went ahead and tried everything finally decided to go ahead and try another battery luckily I have a spare 14 in the phone and the phone started working normally once again however I'm befuddled as to why destroy that battery ?

Posted via the Android Central App

RooftopSnipper

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem and I believe it has to do with a samsung update as someone suggested. After the latest update last week, my battery runs down now within 4 hrs.

Sarahcita

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum, but I've had Samsung cellphones for years. Last week, my S5 Active with OEM battery started draining in just a few hours, and stayed very warm in my pocket with minimal updates scheduled. I discovered that the reception was very poor, and it was joining different wifi networks, then dropping when the signal got poor, then joining again. This went on all day, probably 20 times an hour. I think this must have contributed to the problem of poor battery life. Btw, I don't keep location or bluetooth on all day. My other problem was that it would get hot when charging on OEM charger, taking 4-5 hours to fully charge. It finally got so bad that I had the phone in airplane mode most of the time, which is not what I got the cellphone for!
I decided to let the battery drain fully, then pulled it out of the phone for a couple of hours, then put it back in and charged it fully with power off. As soon as it hit 100%, I unplugged it, turned it on and put it in airplane mode for about 10 minutes. Everything stayed cool. I took it out of airplane mode, then turned on wifi , as that is my usual mode at home (it is now a much more stable zone of reception). Ta-da! Everything stayed cool, even with the screen at 1/2 brightness and wifi on. It started to get a little warm when I watched videos for about 1/2 an hour, but the battery stayed charged just like it used to. I can now get my full 1 day of use on a battery charge.
Hope this helped someone.
Sarah

Paul cornthwaite

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.
DO NOT FORMAT SD CARD use a program called recuva on PC

Kris Garvey

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung 6000 mah external battery at $60 on android central shop will solve many battery drain problems --- will recharge S4 2.5 times --- can be recharged itself in 3.5 to 4 hours from zero ---
So will a genuine Samsung 2A charger and cord --- $15 at same shop --- will recharge phone in a little over 2 hours---
"ALL" smartphones in the last 4 years will rapidly drain batts unless you're only using them to make and receive calls, ---
If you're using them as pocket computers, game players, music players, map navigators, texters, and whatever else, you're going to rapidly drain the batt --- and wear it out prematurely --- and you WILL need one or more high power external batts --- or keep it plugged in almost constantly ---
It's either that or a phone that's monstrously thick to hold a gigantic battery ---
Posted via Android Central App

Ummmm... I'm sorry, which phones do you exactly mean by "ALL"??? I was under the impression that SMART phones were in fact "pocket computers"... I mean, they are MADE to run every app you can think of, and play HD movies, and play music while browsing Facebook. I guess by your logic, cars should only be used in one's driveway, just started up every so often to keep the pathways clear, and to be admired from outside, not actually DRIVEN anywhere. Why waste gas?

Vasco Pyjama

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
My good old S4 went crazy 2 days ago - battery dead from full charge inside 2 hours with negligible use. :(
  • Tried switching off all sorts of options
  • Removed the SD card
  • Deleted recently added applications
  • Swapped batteries
NONE of the above worked.

Factory reset and life is good again :)

bmikeb

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Same problem... I avoided the requested OS update for the longest time. Then the phone updated to 5.0.1. Now battery juice is like a smoothie in a sieve (not as fast as water, but close). During my ~1/2 hour commute to work the battery will go from 100% to 85% while cooking in my pocket, sitting at my desk it would drain to empty if i didn't plug it in.

Then i went on an overseas trip, and pulled the SIM card while i was on the plane because i don't want to be charged extortion data rates if my phone so much as queries the time of day from the local network. At my destination i charged the phone to 100%. With moderate use on wifi, with no SIM card, the battery lasted almost 3 DAYS before needing a feeding.

There is something broken in this OS. I get the point that the radio will boost output if reception is low. But what is using the radio? I'm not using the phone to talk. And an occasional data packet, even at full power, should be relatively cheep.

The on-board battery usage claims the #1 user at 25% is Android OS. If the phone is generally idle, that would tend to make sense. But here is the rub. If the phone is generally idle i would expect the OS to be the main battery user... because there would be nothing else running and the battery should last days! I suspect there is something else hiding in the background that is not showing up in the accounting.

Andi222

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
The same problem .

Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.

Kklin12345

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
maybe it had something to do with my sim card going bad also. I just lost 7GB of pics and video, mostly of my 2 yr old daughter. Card is coming up damaged on phone and it is telling me to format. might as well now. tried to get pics off through PC also. No good. darn. My own fault. I noticed it's been having problems for the past year or so. Its from my previous droid. It must be about 3.5 yrs old now.
My phone is currently doing the exact same thing. My sim card was "unreadable" and got worse and worse.. now my sim card is readable and has stopped. But just the other day my phone started dying extremely quick. I had to charge it twice from dead today and I've only sent a couple text messages. What was your solution?

naazshahuf

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I know this is probably the most common newbie question, but i'm not a newbie, and I've checked most obvious reasons, but My Samsung galaxy S4, 4 months old, never let battery completely die, no apps running, minimal screen time (2min max today so far) is draining the battery way more quickly than usual. Took phone off charger at 7am, now its 10am and battery is at 75% and I have not used anything on my phone. Again, no apps running today. I have only lit up the screen for seconds at a time to check the battery life percentage. Up until 3 days ago it would never do this. Battery usage indicates the majority of battery is being used by "Device Idle" 35%, and "Android OS" 17%. Since I have not even used my phone today, the screen used less than 5% so far. ???? Also, I am connected to WiFi with excellent signal, same as always, as well as good 4G signal, as always. WHy the sudden change in battery drainage? This started Monday, and I haven't downloaded anything in about a month. Rebooted, no change. Pulled Battery, no change. Advice? I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy. ha. thanks in advance.

PHANTOM LEGION

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a S4 did everything possible , everyone says battery, reset , stop services , yet nothing works . Phone was sucking 30% of battery before re-set (Which I lost all my contact info and everything due to a total factory reset ) and all the other non-fixes . after the reset and stopping auto downloads and running apps , Still screen is at 60% usage even when idol .

Another issue and its a ******* big one since the reset I haven't downloaded anything yet 150mb's was used , and for what ? I stopped all updates , so what's using up all my internet ? another issue try making calls and I have to try 4 times before the call goes through ( don't say dead zone I am not an ***** ) , and during that time my battery goes for 50% down to 12% in a matter of 1 min just trying to make one call .

screen setting is at lowest settings .

Everyone says battery , sim , card , screen settings , and running apps .
Non of them is the issue , did every fix suggested "WHEN I SAY EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING OK " ( SCREAMING THIS NOT YELLING ) .

My phone is getting so fing hot I am close to burring my hand even while idol . Only thing I can do is shut it off completely , but as soon as its turned on battery drains about 10% every 2 mins .

Samsung has a hidden app set on a timer that uses the battery to over heat the circuitry in order to fry the phone so people are forced to by a new one every 2 years after the warranty expires ( o but its not malware because its a Samsung app were not suppose to know about )

I had my old cell phone for 10 years ran as good as new , would of kept it but it ran on rogers so I couldn't put a Virgin SIM card in it , other wise I would not of bought the S4 ( yup just another way corporations insure people spend money they shouldn't .

Sure the S4 was great 2 years ago , I am told I have no choice but to shell out 700cnd for a new phone ( FYI an official unnamed source said these fones are set up to self destruct after so many hours of usage , and the only way to prevent this is get Samsung to tell you how to stop the process I am calling you out Samsung prove the info I received that one of your own tech's gave me is wrong ) . The only logical issue that the phones can have is a self destruct timer that uses the battery to fry the phone that only Samsung can deactivate .

If your Tech ( who I wont name as that was our deal ) was lying prove it , if not tell use how to deactivate this self destructing process ( I call it malware ).

We will insure the public is aware of this , its in our mandate to reveal to the public misdealing's of corporation's

"We are one , We are many , We are like shadows in the night , We are Legion "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited:

thomasweiner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I have also had the same problem, checked usages and noticed Weather Channel app using most. Seems the app had become compromised and the phone was trying to open it. Power usage was huge and rapid! Deleted app, problem solved.

Gew

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Could the Weather Channel app be disabled (or even removed) without root?
My wife's phone (S4+) has started draining so excessively, I don't know what to do.
Even ordered a cheap Chinese replacement battery, no significant improvement though.

dadad_re

Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi! Recently my phones battery has been draining so bad. I tried turning of battery consuming apps and features on this phone but, the problem is still there. Tried to check on the setting what's consuming the battery but whenever i open the battery settings, the settings app force close. :( How do I solve this? :(