How do I remove Nova Launcher?

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I installed Nova launcher.
During the install, it rebooted the phone.
The phone makes it a far as showing me my lock screen, and then nothing else happens.
I emailed the developer, but no reply as of yet (granted, it has only been a few hours.)
I just received a call, but there was nothing I could do to answer it.
I have no access to anything on the phone.
I have rebooted several times (including pulling the battery), but all I get is the Samsung splash screen, followed by the Verizon splash screen, followed by my lock screen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So the lock screen responds to no touch at all when trying to unlock? Does the screen ever go dim and respond to the bottons? Can you pull the drop down notification bar down?

If not you may have to factory reset.. Not sure why it Rebooted your phone on install.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try to clear cache in recovery?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
So the lock screen responds to no touch at all when trying to unlock? Does the screen ever go dim and respond to the bottons? Can you pull the drop down notification bar down?
No screen swipes or button pushes do anything (other than turn on the white option/back leds)
The screen dims, and where I would normally get "looking for service," I now get nothing.

No notification bar.

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, phone is useless with this installed.
I really don't want to do a factory reset unless there is just no way around it.
Multiple emails to the developer have gone unanswered.
Are there any other suggestions, or any other ways to contact the developer?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, phone is useless with this installed.
I really don't want to do a factory reset unless there is just no way around it.
Multiple emails to the developer have gone unanswered.
Are there any other suggestions, or any other ways to contact the developer?

Looks like a factory reset is your only option at this point, something definitely went wrong with that install, phone should not have rebooted installing Nova, may have been a glitch with another app, another launcher? That caused it, Nova is a favorite for a reason.

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The phone has worked flawlessly for as long as I've had it (8 months) and I've never tried another launcher, so that definitely could not cause it.

I don't dispute that it is a favorite, that is the only reason I tried it.

But the fact remains - before installing it, everything was fine. After installing it, nothing works at all.
I like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person; it is pretty clear to me that when one thing changes, and it results in the failure of an entire system, then the one thing must, at the very least, be responsible for a cascade of events that renders the system completely broken if not the root cause.

That they did not see fit to add a failsafe or catastrophic failure check or a means to bypass it at startup is simply sloppy coding - this is essentially a window manager, and having no way to recover when it fails to work makes it very risky. Bear in mind; my experience is that it does not work 100% of the time, so if I have said something that makes it sound as if I am badmouthing the app, it is rooted in my experience, and nothing else.

Again - I have no doubt that it is a favorite app of a lot of people, and I have no intention of speaking ill of it - undoubtedly, when it works, it must work very well.

All I am doing is seeking assistance, either from the developer (who have not replied after multiple attempts to contact them), or from other users, about how to get rid of the thing.

All I want to do is be rid of it, without losing everything on my phone in the process.

I will say, however, that I feel their lack of any sort of customer service whatsoever is deplorable.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But the fact remains - before installing it, everything was fine. After installing it, nothing works at all.

That is the key right there. Whenever troubleshooting things myself, at work, for friends.. I always ask.. What changed? You always look back at that so you changed Launcher and upon install it sounds like something corrupted. For many users it never has (myself included) but unfortunately it did it to you.. Not sure why as the developer would have to answer that. If you can't use any commands (like going to settings when the phone turns on) you can't uninstall it.

I'd honestly just reset and get the phone back up and running. Did you have such enabled?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It may not have been the app, but bad timing for a random reboot. A reset is probably the only way to correct the problem.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The phone has worked flawlessly for as long as I've had it (8 months) and I've never tried another launcher, so that definitely could not cause it.

I like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person; it is pretty clear to me that when one thing changes, and it results in the failure of an entire system, then the one thing must, at the very least, be responsible for a cascade of events that renders the system completely broken if not the root cause.

That they did not see fit to add a failsafe or catastrophic failure check or a means to bypass it at startup is simply sloppy coding - this is essentially a window manager, and having no way to recover when it fails to work makes it very risky. Bear in mind; my experience is that it does not work 100% of the time, so if I have said something that makes it sound as if I am badmouthing the app, it is rooted in my experience, and nothing else.

Again - I have no doubt that it is a favorite app of a lot of people, and I have no intention of speaking ill of it - undoubtedly, when it works, it must work very well.

All I am doing is seeking assistance, either from the developer (who have not replied after multiple attempts to contact them), or from other users, about how to get rid of the thing.

All I want to do is be rid of it, without losing everything on my phone in the process.

I will say, however, that I feel their lack of any sort of customer service whatsoever is deplorable.

I was not pointing a finger at you, or defending Nova, sorry if I came off that way, it was not intentional if I did, clearly something went wrong, I just feel that if it were a problem with Nova, similar problems would have been reported as popular as it is, as another poster said, your phone may have just picked a horrible time to glitch and reboot, it happens, I just don't think Nova was the root cause.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Can you get to the Settings from the lock screen? If so, trying going to apps and clearing the defaults or uninstalling from there.

If not, you could try resetting the device.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Are you rooted with a custom recovery?

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
ok.
the company finally responded to my requests.
the guy that replied told me i could just go to the google play store on my home computer and select 'uninstall' for the app, and that would cause it to uninstall from my phone.
unfortunately, i cannot find the "uninstall" option anywhere.
i've checked my home machine and work machine, just in case. but no sign of this option.

Can you get to the Settings from the lock screen? If so, trying going to apps and clearing the defaults or uninstalling from there.
no, i cannot. just the initial lock screen.

i spent most of the night dumping everything via the usb cable, and keeping my fingers crossed that titanium did a proper job.

i've sent another request to the company asking where to find the uninstall option, just in case i've missed something obvious.

failing that, it looks like i have no choice but to do a reset.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to boot into Safe mode?

From a full power off turn it on and tap the soft menu key to the left of the Home button. Keep tapping until it fully boots into the Safe Mode Home screen. If you get that far you should then be able to delete to suspected offending app.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
That's too bad that you're having trouble because it is a great app (obviously when it's working properly). I personally haven't experienced any bugs with it. I looked and couldn't find an option to uninstall from the computer either. Out of curiosity, do you have any other apps that change functionality that might be interfering with it? ie lockscreen apps etc..?

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
From a full power off turn it on and tap the soft menu key to the left of the Home button. Keep tapping until it fully boots into the Safe Mode Home screen. If you get that far you should then be able to delete to suspected offending app.

Sweet!

I did not know about 'safe mode' on this phone (actually had to do "volume down" while rebooting to get to it, but still... cool!)

Started in safe mode, and only gave me 2 options for window manager - touchwiz and touchwiz easy.

I was able to use touchwiz, get to my appmanager and uninstall nova.

Restarted the phone, and everything is working perfectly again.

Thank you, trucky!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Glad it worked for you. After you make sure you've got a good backup I would give Nova a try again. It's a great app.

snurfle

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity, do you have any other apps that change functionality that might be interfering with it? ie lockscreen apps etc..?
Nope, it is a pretty basic setup, with very few changes made to it. I had a live wallpaper installed about a month ago, but removed it - looking 'neat' does not make up for rapid battery drain! I have titanium doing a weekly backup to my home computer, clean master, the verizon anti-virus, and the smalltech battery app. I was running sweethome until about a month ago, the ubuntu14.04 beta broke my remote login setup, so i dumped sweethome rather than trying to troubleshoot ubuntu.

I don't think any of those items would interfere, but maybe there is something going on that doesn't allow them to play nice with nova.

bibby1

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
remove it by tapping a empty space on your phone bringing up the widget move it to the remove at top of screen. go back to settings , apps , find nova and uninstall that simple cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781