Galaxy S4: kitkat 4.4.2 is a horrible update

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I did the update and I have to say I'm very pleased. So far no problems. Battery life same or better. I did notice significant improvement of the screen resolution or clarity. Overall faster response. Battery icon still turns yellow and red. Glad I did it. Thanks for your inputs.

I'm relieved. ;)

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Patiently waiting for the KitKat update to come out for the Verizon SG3 but with all the negative feedback I keep hearing with the updated devices, I'm not so sure if updating my phone to KitKat will be worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IT-Addicted

May 26, 2014
Visit site
No kitkat for international S3(the one with 1 GB of RAM and Exynos processor ) because it has "only 1 GB of RAM"..Really? They can't update it to kitkat because they can't fit all their bloatware on a so "low end phone"...

Posted from my G2

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
No kitkat for international S3(the one with 1 GB of RAM and Exynos processor ) because it has "only 1 GB of RAM"..Really? They can't update it to kitkat because they can't fit all their bloatware on a so "low end phone"...

Posted from my G2

This generally goes two ways :

If company updates , threads like this, which curse the updates, are formed

If company doesn't update , threads with title "company is bad because they didn't update" ......are formed

LG didn't even bother to update their phones in many regions..........I think that's good news because phones are nicely usable at least.
(Gap between 4.3 and 4.4 isn't that wide IMO)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IT-Addicted

May 26, 2014
Visit site
This generally goes two ways :

If company updates , threads like this, which curse the updates, are formed

If company doesn't update , threads with title "company is bad because they didn't update" ......are formed

LG didn't even bother to update their phones in many regions..........I think that's good news because phones are nicely usable at least.
(Gap between 4.3 and 4.4 isn't that wide IMO)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Yeah, but if they planned to update the S3 and then realized that it can't manage all the bloatware is no excuse for Samsung...

Posted from my G2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Posted from my G2

Root your phone and install it. My GNex only has 700 MB of RAM and other than the battery issue, it runs as well on KitKat as my N7, which also has the battery issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but if they planned to update the S3 and then realized that it can't manage all the bloatware is no excuse for Samsung...

Posted from my G2

Let me actually pick a laughable news :

Samsung's new low-cost phone is powered by a dual-core processor that clocked at 1.2GHz, packed with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, and features 5MP autofocus rear camera capable of HD video recording with VGA front shooter, according to Gadgetstouse. The sample handset, which is mentioned "TESTING AND EVALUATION AND NOT FOR RETAIL SALE",

Samsung to Launch Low-Cost Phone with Android 4.4 KitKat; Device Expected to Take on Moto E

(This rumored phone is going to be priced near Moto E's price)

And let me bring a nice video too :

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok I lied. First problem detected is now I cannot adjust the volume while on the phone. Whereas before the update I could easily adjust the volume even with the phone against my ear. Now the volume is fixed at last or current setting. That sucks!

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok I lied. First problem detected is now I cannot adjust the volume while on the phone. Whereas before the update I could easily adjust the volume even with the phone against my ear. Now the volume is fixed at last or current setting. That sucks!

Just tried, and WAS able to adjust volume while on a call with the physical buttons on left of handset. Which brings up slider volumes on screen and adjusted there as well.

SGH-I337M, rockin the Great White North on Telus

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks I believe you, I'm just saying that I used to be able to before the update now I can't! I thought I made it thru the update unscathed! Oh well!

xShadowBladex

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the verizon white galaxy s4 and updated to 4.4.2 So far I am not having problems. It doesn't overheat alot anymore and battery life has improved slightly and im using the touch whiz I barely have any lag. Looking forward to 4.4.3 update.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks I believe you, I'm just saying that I used to be able to before the update now I can't! I thought I made it thru the update unscathed! Oh well!

I had a second 83mb update from Telus a couple weels back, after the 4.4.2 up date. Did you get one as well? It was for stability issues they said.

SGH-I337M, rockin the Great White North on Telus

Chris Joannides

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
2 days ago I updated to 4.4.2 on my Galaxy Note II and now my emails are not refreshing (though for some reasong I can send) / LinkedIn is not syncing with my contact lists. I have spoken to Samsung Support 4 times so far and run through all the usual problem solving including backing up my phone and reseting to factory settings and still the same outcome.

I am losing my mind as even Samsung have run out of possible solutions and now want me to send my phone in for them to see it and attempt to fix without an offer of a replacement.

I was impressed when i switched form blackberry to to the Note II but now considering heading back - online service was poor and the fact that a major fucntion of my phone has been rendered redundant is not good enough.

Any advice would me most appreciated.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't run as hot cause 4.4.2 clocks down the processor and kills gaming performance for battery life. Test AnTuTu benchmark on JB 4.2.2.. Remember your score?? Now run AnTuTu on KK 4.4.2 and be horrified at how your score has dropped by 4000 points!! The test runs slower, the fps is lower.. Its just awful what KK 4.4.2 has done in favor of more battery time. There should have been an option of battery performance vs battery savings. 4.4.2 sux.

I warn anyone reading this to avoid updating to 4.4.2 if possible.

I have the verizon white galaxy s4 and updated to 4.4.2 So far I am not having problems. It doesn't overheat alot anymore and battery life has improved slightly and im using the touch whiz I barely have any lag. Looking forward to 4.4.3 update.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Elaine Wang

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have quick question for anyone that knows the answer.

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 for AT&T and I heard about this new update and i want to update, but whenever I check for new updates, my phone just tells me it is updated....but it still says i have the 4.3 Android Version. Please help :(

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have quick question for anyone that knows the answer.

I have a Samsung galaxy s3 for AT&T and I heard about this new update and i want to update, but whenever I check for new updates, my phone just tells me it is updated....but it still says i have the 4.3 Android Version. Please help :(

There is really not much you can do. AT&T sends out the updates by batch numbers. When it's your turn you'll get it. But, be carful what you wish for. KK 4.4.2 is bug ridden and causing havoc on everyone's device. Walk into any AT&T store and 90% of the people in there are due to complications with KK 4.4.2. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Larissa Belland

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had the kitkat update for a couple weeks now and at first it was great, better battery, no issues at all. Then about 3 days ago, my phone overheated, the screen went black, and still it will not wake up. I've taken the battery out and sd card countless times, and I can't do a factory reset because the screen will not come on at all. My led light still works and the sound works and all the buttons work I just can't see anything. I am beyond frustrated and do not have the money for Samsung to fix it... Any help would be awesome :mad::(

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the kitkat update for a couple weeks now and at first it was great, better battery, no issues at all. Then about 3 days ago, my phone overheated, the screen went black, and still it will not wake up. I've taken the battery out and sd card countless times, and I can't do a factory reset because the screen will not come on at all. My led light still works and the sound works and all the buttons work I just can't see anything. I am beyond frustrated and do not have the money for Samsung to fix it... Any help would be awesome :mad::(

Sounds like hardware issues not software (due to the update).

If you're under warranty, best to send it in (unless you've dropped it a few times, gotten it wet, or otherwise voided the warranty). If you're past warranty, then it may be cheaper to do it yourself - or a friend who's comfortable working on electronics, or a local repair shop. But from what you've experienced, I highly doubt the software update is what cased your screen to black out

Sent from my Galaxy S4, somewhere in Canada

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20