GS4 and Laptop not working

Dominick Sciola

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to connect my GS4 to my laptop. I want to transfer files from my phone to my pc. At first, it worked fine...then my pc started not recognizing my phone...then I tried downloading KIES 3...then that didn't work...now whenever I plug my phone into my pc, my pc freezes up...so needless to say I am running out of patience and ideas.

Any thoughts? Would love some help. thx

Dom

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to connect my GS4 to my laptop. I want to transfer files from my phone to my pc. At first, it worked fine...then my pc started not recognizing my phone...then I tried downloading KIES 3...then that didn't work...now whenever I plug my phone into my pc, my pc freezes up...so needless to say I am running out of patience and ideas.

Any thoughts? Would love some help. thx

Dom

I am guessing has to do wth the phones data/charge port. Should have no issues plugging it in to your PC even without KIES, and getting files off it. But if it's not working connected to PC or Laptop I would have to guess the port itself. OR your USB Cable?

rayporsche

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For whatever reason I experienced the same issue with my Mac, one quick way around it while this is figured out is via 'bluetooth'......so far no issues there.

Dominick Sciola

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I am guessing has to do wth the phones data/charge port. Should have no issues plugging it in to your PC even without KIES, and getting files off it. But if it's not working connected to PC or Laptop I would have to guess the port itself. OR your USB Cable?

Thx, not sure what you mean by port or by USB cable exactly here. I use the USB cable that came with the phone to connect it to my laptop. Its the same USB cable that I uses to charge my phone, via the wall charger, over night. My phone is also charging when its plugged into my laptop.

For whatever reason I experienced the same issue with my Mac, one quick way around it while this is figured out is via 'bluetooth'......so far no issues there.

OK, cool. How do I set up blue tooth here?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thx, not sure what you mean by port or by USB cable exactly here. I use the USB cable that came with the phone to connect it to my laptop. Its the same USB cable that I uses to charge my phone, via the wall charger, over night. My phone is also charging when its plugged into my laptop.

What I am saying is the port you plug your USB cable into the bottom of your phone may be the issue. It does 2 different things, charge and data. Same with your USB cable, 2 different things, charge and data transfer. So if your port is damaged it may only be charging, same with the USB cable, if may only charge and not detect damage. Try another USB cable is what I am saying to rule that out first.

Dominick Sciola

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
What I am saying is the port you plug your USB cable into the bottom of your phone may be the issue. It does 2 different things, charge and data. Same with your USB cable, 2 different things, charge and data transfer. So if your port is damaged it may only be charging, same with the USB cable, if may only charge and not detect damage. Try another USB cable is what I am saying to rule that out first.

OK, I see. so if the port on my phone is damaged...and thus can only charge and not do data...then if I use another USB cable, I'll get the same issues...I'll give that a try. If the port on my phone is damaged, is there a way to get that fixed?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
OK, I see. so if the port on my phone is damaged...and thus can only charge and not do data...then if I use another USB cable, I'll get the same issues...I'll give that a try. If the port on my phone is damaged, is there a way to get that fixed?

Yes you can do it yourself, by ordering a new port from EBay, here is an example:
Charging Port Dock USB Connector Flex Cable FOR Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH I337 AT T | eBay

And you can also watch a YouTube video on how to do it:
Samsung S4 Not Charging, Not Syncing, Repair - Fix - YouTube

And if you don't feel comfortable, I am sure there is a shop in your area that does repairs such as this. You can go there, but you would probably pay about 40 to 60 bucks USD to have something like that done plus part.