Full 1080p playback on S4

Mournblade

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,
I know the S4 has 1920 x 1080 resolution, so why is it that when I play a movie at that resolution, there is a black bar above and below the movie? I've got my player set to 16:9 aspect ratio, but i can't figure out what else I could tweak. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Movies come in different aspect ratios on the phone just like on TV.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
I know the S4 has 1920 x 1080 resolution, so why is it that when I play a movie at that resolution, there is a black bar above and below the movie? I've got my player set to 16:9 aspect ratio, but i can't figure out what else I could tweak. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

I would suggest you goggle this question for a more clear answer

Posted via Android Central App

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks!

Can you tell what movies you tried to watch ?
Some movies like Up or Toy Story 3 come in full screen (I exactly don't remember but some animation films are 16:9)

HD TV shows come in full screen btw.
Most movies come with aspect ratio WIDER THAN 16:9

To be more precise , refer to this :
aspect-ratios.jpg

Tip : If you want to watch full screen , pinch to zoom the video to required level (works on samsung's video app or mx player)

Your movies ARE NOT 1920x1080 , Most probably 1920x8yy or 1920x9yy

Mournblade

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I burned several movies from blu-rays that i own and i specifically chose settings for my S4 - 1920 x 1080. I can force the movie to fill the screen, but then i lose bits on either side. No settings or recording variable i've been able to find has allowed me to watch a 1920 x 1080 movie without having those black bars at the top and bottom of the viewing screen. It's gotta be something simple, right?

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I burned several movies from blu-rays that i own and i specifically chose settings for my S4 - 1920 x 1080. I can force the movie to fill the screen, but then i lose bits on either side. No settings or recording variable i've been able to find has allowed me to watch a 1920 x 1080 movie without having those black bars at the top and bottom of the viewing screen. It's gotta be something simple, right?

Open your videos in a media player in your PC and check resolution.

Once tell me what is the resolution of your videos (better take a screenshot)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The black bars are good as they are perserving the original aspect ratio of the film. If a movie has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, it will fill up your entire S4. If it's wider, as the majority of films have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or wider, the black bars will appear. The black bars are good because they let you see the entire film instead of it being cropped.

Here is where you have to look more so at the aspect ratio than the resolution. As mentioned before, a movie that is 2.35:1 will still have a 1920x1080 resolution even though it is closer to 1920x8xx. The aspect ratio will tell you more. The black bars aren't bad as they let you see the entire film.

Last edited:

Mournblade

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
So basically i'm copying a movie that is greater than 16:9 and forcing it into that area, which causes the black bars. If I want to fill up my entire S4 screen, I need to burn the movies at 1.78:1 ratio. (which may cause entirely different issues) Thanks Bishop_99, and all of you. :)